Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Woot! Santa is coming!

Merry Christmas!

George Palmer the mostly unknown Australian film director at 17 years of age.

HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
edited June 2015 in The Silent Era

George Palmer at 17 & 18 years of age had produced, directed, written, starred in,formed his own distributing company being Palmers Pictures Australia and promoted his film The Northbound Limited continually with personal appearances. image

imageimage19271imageimage

1927 was the year The Northbound Limited was released. I had never heard about him, had anyone else?

Hondo

Lawrence

Comments

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,285 admin
    Absolutely fascinating!

Sadly a lost film I see. A quick hunt and all I can find is two films he did, the first being The Mail Robbery (1925) but can't find if he kicked on to do more after The Northbound Limited, do you know if he did?
    David
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    David said:
    Absolutely fascinating!

Sadly a lost film I see. A quick hunt and all I can find is two films he did, the first being The Mail Robbery (1925) but can't find if he kicked on to do more after The Northbound Limited, do you know if he did?

I believe his first film was only a one reel film as apposed to the 5 reel The Northbound Limited. Haven't been able to track down what happened to George Palmer after 1928 but will keep searching. Maybe forming his own distribution company in all states of Australia made him broke. It would be interesting to know more about without a doubt a talented individual.

Hondo 

Lawrence
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,285 admin
    edited June 2015
    Seems he wasn't the only child prodigy producer/director/actor at the time, one Thomas Marinato directed Sydney's Darlings in 1927.

Here's a link to an online book called: Australia's Lost Films: The Loss and Rescue of Australia's Silent Cinema  By Ray Edmondson, Andrew Pike first published in 1982

Enjoy. Page 19 mentions our young heroes.
    David
  • FabFab Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Hi there
    I know this thread is quite old but I saw you were curious as to what George Palmer got up to with the rest of his life. This should help fill you in if you haven’t already stumbled across it.
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/toddemslie/George_Palmer_TVDX.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Firstly welcome aboard. Thanks for posting the interesting information about a very talented man.
    Lawrence
  • FabFab Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Thank you. You’re welcome. I’m also fortunate enough to have seen The Northbound Limited and remember it to be quite entertaining.