Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Merry Christmas!

Two Different Original Styles Of The Same Daybill Designs.

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited July 2015

Yes and unfortunately I need 1 of them dag nab it!

Really need to stop just looking around when I'm bored or sick...

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:
    I believe the first one is an original first release 2nd printing and the second one a re-issue.
    Oh really?  Do you have more details on why you believe that to be the case?  Is this about the mysterious full colour version that exists but we haven't seen?

I believe there are at least  3 different designs of The Squatters Daughter.

Details as follows -

Original release full colour design with British Empire Films printed on it .No image of this daybill sited to date. There is an image of a newspaper advertisement from the original 1933 Australian cinema release that I believe was copied  from the original daybill image.

Next design in order of printing is the duotone version shown earlier. There are two shadings of this daybill poster. Again the British Empire Films name printed on the poster. British Empire Films was printed on posters from 1932 until 1935. This means this poster was a second printing produced between 1933 and 1935, most likely  due to the big box office business the film generated.

Version three is the limited colour version with the same design as the original newspaper advertisement with some minor wording changes  and this time the Associated Film Distributors information on the posters .The name Associated Film Distributors started appearing on film posters between 1936 and 1939.In 1940 the name then changed to BEF in association with Associated Distributors Pty. Ltd. Note Republic and also Monogram had their own logos During this period. I believe this third poster was a re-release poster from somewhere between 1936 and 1939.

The unreadable black section on the bottom of the advertisement would be similar to the British Enpire Films information seen on the duotone re-release daybill. Also note on the second & third line from the bottom of the advertisement British Empire Films. I am convinced the original full colour version of The Squatters Daughter daybill exists somewhere  looking exactly like the advertisement image.

I've been pondering on this for a while now...musings from my swiss cheese brain in the next day or two...late now...bed time.

Sorry am a bit sick so bit slow to do things lately.

All of the stuff re Squatter's Daughter makes sense, but if there is an original full colour, not sure why it hasn't turned up considering the other styles have?  And in decent condition too, not heavily used, written over etc...the copies I have are such that they were almost never used.  Am assuming this is the case with John's copy too.  I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but considering the others have turned up, why not these?  I guess it could be before the first screenings were so popular they got used up? This would also explain why the second printings are in such good shape...

• MarkMark Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited July 2015
    Here are a couple of small page adverts from Everyones August 1933. 
    Tried to add images but they vanished straight away. Maybe someone else can help. These are the links:

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh557/ozcinemagic/squatters%202.jpg

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh557/ozcinemagic/squatters%201.jpg

There you go...

First one is interesting that it is the same as the "second printing" one...

• MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,201 admin
  • MarkMark Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ Daybiller

There you go...

First one is interesting that it is the same as the "second printing" one...

That's why I posted (attempted to). They obviously had that art ready before the film came out. Makes you wonder if they went with two styles?
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

I stick by my original posting at the top of the page of the opinion I expressed regarding The Squatter's Daughter.

There are numerous other newspaper and trade magazine advertisements with other styles as well as the two Everyones posted above.

The duotone daybill with the lady and the horse to me would be a second printing during the original release. I believe the original  opening of the film at the Capitol as displayed above with the portrait of the actress would have been the original daybill in full colour. I doubt if the second style would have been printed at the same time as the colour version. When the second style was printed sometime within two years a different style which they already had was opted for on the duotone daybill.

Lawrence
    HONDO said:

There are numerous other newspaper and trade magazine advertisements with other styles as well as the two Everyones posted above.

Would love to see them...the one thing this thread keeps sticking in my mind is how, um, unattractive the posters make her look, when she was very pretty actually!
    HONDO said:

Would love to see them...the one thing this thread keeps sticking in my mind is how, um, unattractive the posters make her look, when she was very pretty actually!

A couple of newspaper advertisements.

Lawrence
    Was at work today so couldn't see the images...many thanks again Lawrence...see so pretty, what a shame they didn't get it right on the poster.
    This new scan of the possible first poster, plus the ones for Bitter Springs look very photographic to me.  Need to go back and have a look if other posters of this period were similar.  Most of the aussie stuff I have is drawn (badly) not photopgraphic.
    Two style daybills for They're A Weird Mob...at work, can't post photos...

Yes I had temporarily forgotten about this film. BEF again.

Lawrence

The Haunted Palace...

I suspect the green one came first, then the gold lettered...the one in the middle just looks like a crappy copy of the gold one...thoughts?

They're a Weird Mob ( 1966 ) daybills I have often wondered about. Both Robert Burton Pty Ltd Sydney but presented in a different style with their name credits. The daybill at the top on the right appears to be been the more ready available over the years to obtain.

The Haunted Palace ( 1963 ), after I would think some censorship problems, was eventually released in Australia in Sydney March 21, 1969. As all three of the daybills carry the Suitable Only For Adults censorship classifications, they would have had to have been printed before this classification was changed to the M classification in November 1971. This then narrows down the printing of the three to have taken place either for the March 21 1969 release or for sometime after this, but before the classification changes that took place in November 1971 occurred. All three printed for the duration of the first release established, but in which order? Ves may be right in the order of printing, as it looks logical. I don't know the answer but there is also the possibility that the M.A.P.S. version was printed first followed by the two without printer's credits. It is something that we probably will never find an answer for.

Lawrence

Agree on pretty much everything...only thing is when you take out the green one and compare the other two, the one in the middle really does look like a crappy photocopy almost of the end one.  It's not because it is clearly printed, but I wonder if they just made cheap copies when they ran out...I dunno, just speculating!

And as always, Thanks Lawrence :)
    And as always, Thanks Lawrence :)

You're welcome.
    Lawrence

Agree on pretty much everything...only thing is when you take out the green one and compare the other two, the one in the middle really does look like a crappy photocopy almost of the end one.  It's not because it is clearly printed, but I wonder if they just made cheap copies when they ran out...I dunno, just speculating!

One interesting thing about the green version daybill is the format that the word Roadshow is displayed in. This is the only poster that I can remember showing the word Roadshow in the style normally  only used on the start of their early films and publicity. I am in the process of researching the history of Roadshow and 1970 is listed as the year Roadshow Distributors began film distribution in Australia. This is contrary to the trade magazine The Film Weekly yearbook, who lists The Haunted Palace as being released in Sydney on March 21, 1969. My thoughts are now that, as Ves suggested earlier, the green version was printed first and this presentation was quickly, for whatever reason, replaced by the wording ''A Roadshow Release'' that seems to appear on other Roadshow posters starting  from the early 1970's, e.g. ''Stork''.

The thoughts of Ves regarding the other two posters sounds a most feasible explanation.

Lawrence
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,381 admin
    Isn't this just a original release vs. rerelease thread?
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...

I have a blue version of this, with just the Roadshow symbol, and no wording of A EOADSHOW RELEASE...I need to dig it out as the picture of the symbol is not clear in my image...does that help at all?  Looking for anything else...

Also on the green one, in the diamond it says DJ Signs...again, not sure if it helps.

Also, a few of the Price horrors around this time have this logo:

Maybe during a period of converting over from the association?

Charlie said:
    Isn't this just a original release vs. rerelease thread?

My original intention, as explained at the start of this thread, was to cover first release daybills that had two different designs. This is what is happening here, apart from an unintentional poster supplied from a member, all recent postings are from the same release. Not all posters supplied, such as the Richardson / Paramount  posters printed for the first release, were printed at the same time, but nevertheless were printed during the first run of the film. Any poster images downloaded unintentionally in the  believing they were first release, but are indeed re-releases will be pointed out as being so.   
    Lawrence
    edited March 2017

Also on the green one, in the diamond it says DJ Signs...again, not sure if it helps.

Also, a few of the Price horrors around this time have this logo:

Maybe during a period of converting over from the association?

This poster although a 1969 overseas release wasn't released in Australia until 1973. I have also seen this logo on other posters as well, but without checking it out I would think they would be later than circa 1970.
    Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
    edited February 9
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:
    I believe the first one is an original first release 2nd printing and the second one a re-issue.
    Oh really?  Do you have more details on why you believe that to be the case?  Is this about the mysterious full colour version that exists but we haven't seen?

I believe there are at least  3 different designs of The Squatters Daughter.

Details as follows -

Original release full colour design with British Empire Films printed on it .No image of this daybill sited to date. There is an image of a newspaper advertisement from the original 1933 Australian cinema release that I believe was copied  from the original daybill image.

Next design in order of printing is the duotone version shown earlier. There are two shadings of this daybill poster. Again the British Empire Films name printed on the poster. British Empire Films was printed on posters from 1932 until 1935. This means this poster was a second printing produced between 1933 and 1935, most likely  due to the big box office business the film generated.

Version three is the limited colour version with the same design as the original newspaper advertisement with some minor wording changes  and this time the Associated Film Distributors information on the posters .The name Associated Film Distributors started appearing on film posters between 1936 and 1939.In 1940 the name then changed to BEF in association with Associated Distributors Pty. Ltd. Note Republic and also Monogram had their own logos During this period. I believe this third poster was a re-release poster from somewhere between 1936 and 1939.

The unreadable black section on the bottom of the advertisement would be similar to the British Enpire Films information seen on the duotone re-release daybill. Also note on the second & third line from the bottom of the advertisement British Empire Films. I am convinced the original full colour version of The Squatters Daughter daybill exists somewhere  looking exactly like the advertisement image.

Great information and images Ves. I thought it was worth repeating my earlier post from July 2015, which I will comment on further shortly.
    Lawrence