Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Hondo's Daybill Q&A [Re-Titled]

12345679»

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Highly nervous ( Universal ), nervous and excitable people ( Warner Brothers ) and now nervous temperaments from RKO. I am picturing publicity people sitting around the film distributors offices in the early 1930's attempting  to come up with something different.
    Lawrence
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Sven said:
    HONDO said:

Thanks to Sven and Ves for their information which was much appreciated. To clarify what I am after, it is that I only need titles of horror films released in Australia in the 1940's, with any of the following three censorship ratings appearing on them.

The ratings are as follows-

A Horror Picture For Adults Only

A Horror Film Suitable For Adults Only

Horror Film Suitable Only For Adults

Possibly there were other variations printed as well containing the word Horror, and if so I would love to know about them as well if they happen to exist.

There were certainly more Australian posters printed with the word Horror appearing on them. I have images of others and some Australian newspaper advertisements, carrying a Horror rating on films that I haven't been able to find poster images of.

Hi Lawrence , another slight variation 

This is a Horror Film  Suitable Only For Adults

Looks to be a three sheet?
    Thats right Chris 
  • MarkMark Member Posts: 620 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Best antique store in Aust where that 3 sheet is at. Don't hesitate to visit if you like old stuff.
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:
    darolo said:
    Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman should be added to the list as it does mention it's a horror film.

HONDO said:

Although I have been unable to locate any other Australian daybill, one sheet or 3 sheet poster images having any form of ''Horror / adults'' censorship ratings printed on them, I have still  managed to find information on other film titles that should have had this information printed on their Australian posters. I will suppy a list shortly.

There were also other Australian daybill posters carrying only ''Suitable only for adults'' ratings on them,  but were advertised in other media as being '' Horror / suitable on adults'' that I will also list. 

I hadn't noticed the Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man had the smaller printed ''This Is A Horror Film And Is....'' preceeding the larger ''Suitable Only For Adults'' classification in a circle before. I will certainly add it to the list shortly. This title was advertised in Australian newspaper advertisements as being a horror film.

A list of all the films that I have located where no Australian film posters have been located for, that carried the ''Horror Film - Suitable Only For Adults'' censorship rating in Australian newspaper advertising are as follows -

Captive Wild Woman
    Cry of the Werewolf
    Dead Men Walk ( released in the U.S.A. by poverty row studio PRC and BEF most likely the Australian distributor )
    Frozen Ghost, The
    Mummy's Curse, The
                                                                                                                                                                                             If and when Australian posters surface for any the above five posters they could have have a '' Horror Film -  Suitable Only For Adults'' rating appearing on them, or at least ''Suitable Only For Adults". 

And following up on the '' There were also other Australian daybill posters carrying only ''Suitable Only for Adults'' ratings on them, but were advertised in other media as being ''Horror / suitable only for adults"' that I will also list'' comment that had I earlier posted, I have located the following titles that fall into this category.

Jungle Woman 
    Revenge Of The Zombies

Of interest I will mention that a factual, approximately running 10 minute film that contained footage from Nazi concentration camp atrocities was classified by the Australian film censor in 1945, The film was classified by the Australian film censor as being a ''Horror Film - Suitable only For Adults''. Due to the brevity of the running time, most likely film posters wouldn't have been printed, but you cannot completely rule it out though.

Isle Of The Dead posters, if and when found, should have a ''Horror film suitable only for adults'' variation censorship rating applied on them as well. Australian newspaper advertisements for this film carried this classification. Including five titles listed earlier, we may have a total of six posters with the special horror rating hopefully still existing, that I would hope to see one day.

I had previously mentioned that ''Horror'' film variations censorship ratings were printed on Australian film poster in part of 1943, all of 1944 and one in 1946. I have now located that a ''Horror film suitable only adults only'' rating was also printed on to another film in 1946. More on this particular film shortly, which is proving to be an interesting one.
    Lawrence
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I couldn't find an image of One Body Too Many on this thread so here it is ….

John

• collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 844 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    John said:
    I couldn't find an image of One Body Too Many on this thread so here it is ….

That's an absolute beauty.
    Wil
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:
    darolo said:
    Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman should be added to the list as it does mention it's a horror film.

HONDO said:

Although I have been unable to locate any other Australian daybill, one sheet or 3 sheet poster images having any form of ''Horror / adults'' censorship ratings printed on them, I have still  managed to find information on other film titles that should have had this information printed on their Australian posters. I will suppy a list shortly.

There were also other Australian daybill posters carrying only ''Suitable only for adults'' ratings on them,  but were advertised in other media as being '' Horror / suitable on adults'' that I will also list. 

I hadn't noticed the Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man had the smaller printed ''This Is A Horror Film And Is....'' preceeding the larger ''Suitable Only For Adults'' classification in a circle before. I will certainly add it to the list shortly. This title was advertised in Australian newspaper advertisements as being a horror film.

A list of all the films that I have located where no Australian film posters have been located for, that carried the ''Horror Film - Suitable Only For Adults'' censorship rating in Australian newspaper advertising are as follows -

Captive Wild Woman
    Cry of the Werewolf
    Dead Men Walk ( released in the U.S.A. by poverty row studio PRC and BEF most likely the Australian distributor )
    Frozen Ghost, The
    Mummy's Curse, The
                                                                                                                                                                                             If and when Australian posters surface for any the above five posters they could have have a '' Horror Film -  Suitable Only For Adults'' rating appearing on them, or at least ''Suitable Only For Adults". 

And following up on the '' There were also other Australian daybill posters carrying only ''Suitable Only for Adults'' ratings on them, but were advertised in other media as being ''Horror / suitable only for adults"' that I will also list'' comment that had I earlier posted, I have located the following titles that fall into this category.

Jungle Woman 
    Revenge Of The Zombies

Of interest I will mention that a factual, approximately running 10 minute film that contained footage from Nazi concentration camp atrocities was classified by the Australian film censor in 1945, The film was classified by the Australian film censor as being a ''Horror Film - Suitable only For Adults''. Due to the brevity of the running time, most likely film posters wouldn't have been printed, but you cannot completely rule it out though.

There has been an Australian daybill  image around for some time now of House Of Dracula ( 1945 ), with just a ''Suitable only for adults" censorship rating appearing on the poster. It has come to my attention that an Australian three sheet exists of House Of Dracula, but this has '' Horror film suitable only for adults'' printed on this poster. It is interesting then that the daybill and the three sheet had the two different censorship ratings printed on them. Before anyone may possibly ask, I will mention that I have sighted the poster image  and confirm the three sheet image has the special '' Horror'' censorship rating on it, but I do not have an image available to display.

A thank you to John for posting a daybill image for one of the film titles One Body Too Many previously mentioned on this thread that had ''Horror film suitable only for adults'' censorship classification appearing on the poster.
    Lawrence
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    HONDO said:

There has been an Australian daybill  image around for some time now of House Of Dracula ( 1945 ), with just a ''Suitable only for adults" censorship rating appearing on the poster. It has come to my attention that an Australian three sheet exists of House Of Dracula, but this has '' Horror film suitable only for adults'' printed on this poster. It is interesting then that the daybill and the three sheet had the two different censorship ratings printed on them. Before anyone may possibly ask, I will mention that I have sighted the poster image  and confirm the three sheet image has the special '' Horror'' censorship rating on it, but I do not have an image available to display.

A thank you to John for posting a daybill image for one of the film titles One Body Too Many previously mentioned on this thread that had ''Horror film suitable only for adults'' censorship classification appearing on the poster.
    Image may contain 2 people
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Thanks for posting the 3 sheet House Of Dracula image Chris.
    Lawrence
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    HONDO said:
    Thanks for posting the 3 sheet House Of Dracula image Chris.
    No problem - now I just have to roll it back up and put into storage ;)
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

A true gentleman that we have here.
    Lawrence
    Cleopatra ( 1963 ) posters information is coming on ''Hondo's This And That'' thread. I know there are countless Cleopatra and Elizabeth Taylor fans that are members here, so perhaps they may wish to keep an eye out for it.
    Lawrence