Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Nice price for the consignor

2»

Comments

• collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 480 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    edited January 2017
    HONDO said:
    I must be seeing things as there are only four versions, not five ( or six as we don't count versions without ratings appearing ). The above version you are referring to is the same as the one I posted previously on the last page. What do others think?
    This one:

Same as the original release all except the portraits and W.E Smith text.... Five
    Wil

Then again we should really call it Six versions what with my (no ratings) NZ one.

This one was just to show the one I posted the other week post clean up and linen backing. 
    Wil
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Now the previously unseen daybill image of the Colorcraft version of Genevieve has appeared it all makes sense. Five versions indeed there were. The W.E. Smith version would have been the original version printed for the Sydney Australian release in 15 / 9 / 1954. The Colorcraft version, and seeing it appears Colorcraft only were active around 1954 and 1955 and perhaps a little later, along with the same billing plus with an adapted version of the W.E. Smith design, including the yellow section on the bottom left hand corner that seems out of place appearing, it would I believe have been a very early second printing.This leaves the three Robert Burton versions.Robert Burton only started to commence printing some of the of BEF product circa 1957 so the three they would have been printed at various times 1957 or later as follow up printings and possibly a re-release thrown in as well with the upgraded Kenneth More billing. 

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    I'm not greedy.  I'll just have the W.E. Smith version thanks.
    As a matter of interest with this latest Colorcraft addtion, Simon Dwyer in the UK has their One Sheet version on his site which I'm assuming is also a second printing? I would post an image but am still weary of posting images belonging to others, so here's the link:  http://originalvintagemovieposters.co.uk/Genevieve_Vintage_Movie_Poster-60-6124
    Wil
    edited January 2017
    Also wanted to say that although obviously traced, the W.E Smith portrait was actually a pretty good likeness:

Wil

Looking at the Colorcraft Australian one sheet, it has me thinking perhaps this is an original Australian one sheet printed for the Australian first release that took place in Sydney on 15th September, 1954. Colorcraft were printing around this time, so it is possible. Now to the two full colour daybills with Dinah Sheridan topping the credits. In the 1950's British Empire Films ( BEF) printed two styles for some of their more important releases so is it possible two styles were printed for the first release for this film? BEF had  five other titles that had two styles printed for their Australian releases in the 1950's, that I am aware of. Reach For The Sky, North West Frontier, Doctor At Sea, A Town Like Alice and Robbery Under Arms, along with El Cid in the very early 1960's, were the films in question. My one problem with two styles of Genevieve for a first release are the two different printers used, which wasn't usually the case. Why would they do this, unless of course they were already printing the one sheet. Let me know your thoughts. Out of interest I thought I would let you know Colorcraft printed the daybill and one sheets of Jedda in Australia for the original release. For anyone interested in Jedda I will be providing some  more information on this subject through my Jedda thread soon.

Lawrence

It is interesting that one looks at posters on numerous occasions but doesn't always notice something of interest. It was  decided on this thread there were five different Genevieve daybill posters printed. There were four printed with Dinah Sheridan heading the billing and one re-release poster with Kenneth More first billed. All of the four Dinah Sheridan top billed daybills that were printed in the 1950's, with one W.E.Smith, one  Colorcraft and two Robert Burton posters, are all minus the distributors logo. Missing placing the distributor's logo on one poster I could understand, but not three different printing sessions. It certainly looks odd to me that if the logo was left off unintentially by W.E.Smith, why didn't Colorcraft and Robert Burton pick up on this. It was only with the 1960's Robert Burton 1960's re-release that the Rank / BEF logo was included.  

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

I can't see the pics cause I am at work today to refresh my memory, but couldn't it just be lazy copying of the original?