Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Banned In Australia Films

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    HONDO said:
     Clue - Western television series.
    The television series has a great opening with some catchy theme song music playing on the soundtrack.
    Lawrence
    edited February 2016
      New Zealand daybill produced for release there probably around 1962.                                                                                                             .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                HONDO previously said:

Film # 17. The Fantastic Disappearing Man ( U.K. title ) aka The Return Of Dracula ( Original U.S. release title in 1958 ).

Banned by the Australian censor under the U.K. title of The Fantastic Disappearing Man in 1962 on Horror grounds . No record available  but most likely banned also around 1958  under the original The Return Of Dracula title on the same grounds.

Never released theatrically in Australia as far as I can tell under either title.

Has been screened on Australian television on the now defunct subscription Movie Greats channel under The Return Of Dracula title in my memory serves me correctly.

Has had a U.S. DVD release.

Lawrence
    HONDO said:
                                                                                          I had to include this image from a short banned from screening on ATN. Try and guess the actor who went on to be a huge television star?
    HONDO said:

HONDO said:
    HONDO said:
    The television series has a great opening with some catchy theme song music playing on the soundtrack.

Dan Blocker in Outer Space Jitters played a prehistoric goon in 1957. He went on to play Hoss Cartright on TV's Bonanza appearing in 415 episodes between 1959 and 1972. Outer Space Jitters was the 182nd short subject out of a total of 190 shorts made by The Three Stooges for Columbia Pictures between 1934 and 1959. Dan Blocker died at age 43 in 1972.

Lawrence

Film # 21. Konga ( 1961 ).

Banned by the Australian censors in 1961 on horror grounds.

Never released theatrically in Australia to the best of my knowledge.

Television screenings in Australia, if any, unknown.

Has received a U.S. DVD release.

Lawrence

Awaiting to find time to work are a large amount of banned in Australia Horror titles plus even some non horror titles like Naked As Nature Intended. Boy was the Australian censor busy in the late 1950s and throughout the 1960s.

Lawrence

Film # 22. Naked as Nature Intended ( 1961 ).

Banned By the Australian censors  in 1965 on sex grounds. It would have had to be the nudity causing it to be banned surely.

Never released theatrically in Australia as far as I am aware.

Television screenings ( doubtful )  if any unknown.

Released in country of origin the U.K. on DVD.

Released theatrically in New Zealand ( see poster ).

Lawrence

Films #'s 23, 24 and 25.

The Fly ( 1958 )

Return Of The Fly ( 1959 )

The Curse Of The Fly ( 1965 )

Banned by the Australian censors in 1958, 1959 and 1964 ( the year before the U.S. release ) on horror grounds,

None of the titles were ever released theatrically in Australia to the best of my knowledge.

Television screenings I have found that had taken place occurred in 1992 of The Fly and 1989 for Return Of The Fly. 

The three titles are available on DVD under the title of The Fly Collection.

Lawrence

Film # 26.

The Fall Of The House Of Usher ( aka House Of Usher ) ( 1960 ).

Banned by the Australian censor in 1960 when submitted under the full title of The Fall Of The House Of Usher on horror grounds. 

Never released theatrically in Australia to the best of my knowledge. I am wondering if the film was ever re-submitted to the censors at a later date or not and if it was did it end up being rejected again?

Passed for exhibition on videotape in Australia in 1985 and later on DVD in 2004, both with a PG rating.

Shown on Australian television in 1986 with an AO rating.

If any consolation the film was also banned at the time in a number of other countries as well.

Lawrence
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    *shakes head* passed with a PG rating? But banned in the cinemas? Sheesh!

Film # 27.

Attack Of The 50 Ft. Woman ( 1958 ).

Banned by the Australian censor in 1958 on horror grounds.

Has received some television screenings in Australia.

Passed for exhibition on Videotape in Australia in 1994 with a PG certificate. 

Has been released in the U.S.A. on DVD.

Lawrence

Film # 28.

The Devil's Own ( aka  The Witches in the U.S.A. ) ( 1966 ).

Although nothing in print I am 100% certain this film was banned by the Australian censor on horror grounds around 1966 or 1967. To the best of my knowledge it has never been released theatrically in Australia.

Under the title The Devil's Own it was submitted by 20th Century Fox on 35mm and classified by the New Zealand censor on 19.4.1967 as R13 and apparently released there uncut.

Television screenings ( if any ) in Australia unknown.

Was passed by the Australian censor and classification for DVD on 24.9.2013 with a PG certificate..

Lawrence

Film # 29.

The Evil Of Frankenstein ( 1964 ).

Banned by the Australian censor in 1964 on horror grounds.

Was submitted by Universal ( 35mm ) to the New Zealand censor on 14 - 12- 1964 and classified as R16 with cuts.

Found an Australian television screening listed as a repeat in 1990 classified as AO.

Was passed by the Australian censor and classifided for DVD release on 22-4 -2008 with an M certificate rating.

Lawrence

Film # 30.

The Plague Of The Zombies ( 1966 ).

Although nothing found in print I am 100% certain this film was banned by the Australian censor on horror grounds probably around 1966 or 1967. To the best of my knowledge this film was never released theatrically in Australia.

Was submitted by 20th Century Fox on 35mm and classified by the New Zealand censor on 15 -3-1966  as R13 ( with cuts ).

Television screenings ( if any ) in Australia unknown.

Was passed by the Australian censor and classified for DVD exhibition on 19-7-2004 with a M classification.

Lawrence

Film # 31.

The Reptile ( 1966 ).

Although nothing found in print I am 100% certain this film was banned by the Australian censors on horror grounds probably around 1966. To the best of my knowledge this film was never released theatrically in Australia.

Was submitted to the New Zealand censor on 11 / 5 / 1966 and classified  by the Chief Censor of films as R13.

Television screenings in Australia have taken place.

Was passed by the Australian censor and classified for videotape on 21st of July, 1994 with a PG certificate followed by a DVD classification on the 19th of July, 2004 of a M certificate,  

Lawrence
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    HONDO said:

Film # 30.

The Plague Of The Zombies ( 1966 ).

Although nothing found in print I am 100% certain this film was banned by the Australian censor on horror grounds probably around 1966 or 1967. To the best of my knowledge this film was never released theatrically in Australia.

Was submitted by 20th Century Fox on 35mm and classified by the New Zealand censor on 15 -3-1966  as R13 ( with cuts ).

Was passed by the Australian censor and classified for DVD exhibition on 19-7-2004 with a M classification.

I have a feeling that Rick has a daybill for this film.

Film # 32.

The Monster and The Girl ( 1941 ).

Banned by the Australian censor in 1941 on horror grounds.

Television screenings in Australia unknown.

Has been released in the U.S.A. on DVDr.

One of over 700 Paramount productions, filmed between 1929 and 1949, which were sold to MCA/ Universal in 1958 for television distribution, and have been owned and controlled by Universal ever since. ( IMDB source ).

Lawrence
    Pity The Monster And The Girl was banned in Australia. I can picture in my mind what the Richardson daybill might have looked like.
    Lawrence
    Coming soon are films starring Jayne Mansfield, Lon Chaney and Peter Cushing.
    Lawrence
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,254 admin
    The genre 'Woman Fainting In Monsters Arms' is not to be overlooked in the movie poster collecting category...
    David

Film # 33.   

Witchcraft ( 1964 ).

Banned by the Australian censor in 1964 on horror grounds.

Television screenings ( if any ) in Australia unknown.    

Has been released in the U.S.A. on DVD.       

Lawrence

Film # 34. The Challenge ( 1960 ) ( aka It Takes A Thief in the U.S.A. ).

Banned by the Australian censor in 1962 on violence ; kidnapping techniques grounds.

Notice on the British poster the UK rating was only classified as A and not X as one would have thought it would have been classified there to end up being banned in Australia.

Television screenings ( if any ) in Australia unknown.

Has been released in the UK by Renown Pictures Ltd. under the title The Challenge with a very good transfer on an all regions DVD but also there is a version available under the title of It Takes A Thief on DVD as well with a poor quality transfer.

Lawrence

Film # 35.

The Flesh And The Fiends ( 1960 ) ( aka Mania in the U.S.A. ).

Banned by the Australian censor in 1961 on horror grounds,

Has been released in the U.S.A. on DVD.

Lawrence

Film # 36.

Hand Of Death ( 1962 ).

Banned by the Australian censor in 1961 on horror grounds.

Television screenings ( if any ) in Australia unknown.

Has been released in the U.S.A. on DVD-R.

Lawrence

Film # 37.

The Very Edge ( 1963 ). A British film.

Banned by the Australian censor in 1963 on violence grounds.

Television screenings in Australia ( if any ) unknown.

Has been released on DVD and VHS overseas on what appears to be unofficial studio releases.

Lawrence

Film # 38.

The Leather Boys ( 1964). A British film.

Banned by the Australian censor in 1963 on homosexuality grounds.

The film was classified PG when passed for videotape screenings on the 4th of June, 1992. 

Television screenings in Australia ( if any ) unknown.

Is available overseas on DVD.

Lawrence

Image # 39.

The Hellions ( 1961 ). A British film. Filmed in South Africa.

Banned by the Australian censor in 1962 on violence grounds.

Television screenings in Australia ( if any ) unknown.

A rarity available unofficially on DVDr or free downloading with not the greatest picture quality.

Lawrence

Update on the previously published film # 9 - Night Of The Eagle ( aka Burn, Witch, Burn ) ( 1962 ) Another film banned in Australia but released in New Zealand. It is coming clear that a large number of banned horror films in Australia obtained a release in New Zealand due to their restricted ratings system introduced decades earlier.  The restricted classification didn't come into being until 1971 in Australia. The film was passed and classified R16 ( with cuts ) on 35mm in New Zealand on 25 / 6 / 1962 under the title Night Of The Eagle. No cuts for TV exhibition  24 / 8 /1983.

Lawrence

Image # 40.     

Private Property ( 1960 ). From the U.S.A.

Banned by the Australian censor in 1960 on sex grounds.      

Television screenings in Australia unknown but most likely none.  

This film was at one time thought lost. 

"Very few people seem to have heard of, let alone seen, this bizarre and strange film''. ( IMDB feedback comment ).                                                                                                                                                          

It appears it had never been available to view in any form of media communications available to the general public until  last year on the 13th of March 2015, when a restored print of Private Property was screened as part of UCLA Film And Television archive's month-long UCLA Festival Of Preservation in the U.S.A..         

Lawrence

Image # 41.

Edge Of Fury ( 1958 ). From the U.S.A. Made in 1953 but only released in 1958.

Banned by the Australian censor in 1958 on violence grounds. The film it appears contains #$*^%*!, murder on a large scale and violence

Was a rare film and very hard to locate in the past but now is available for online streaming.

Lawrence

Image # 42.   

L'eau a la bouche ( aka A Game For Six Lovers ) ( 1960 ). From France.    

Banned by the Australian Censor in 1961 on sex grounds.  Apparently 6 lovers must have been too many.  

Television screenings in Australia ( if any ) unknown.

Is available on an All Regions DVD.

Lawrence