Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Ask Your Linenbacking & Restoration Questions

12345679»

Comments

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,346 admin
    You need a table.  I prefer to wash on a table not in a tray.  I soak all my chems in the poster between mylars and then rinse with an unlevel table.  Trays are ok and I’ve used to remove backings but they get dirty quick and I prefer to keep the water fresh and flowing for rinse.

You need a roller or a squeegee to massage the poster onto the masa.  You’ll need sponges or microfiber towels to wet the canvas/mass and to clean up.  Wheat paste of course has to be cooked and you have to buffer with Calcium Carbonate - 10% by weight.
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • VulgarVulgar Member Posts: 15 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Thanks Charlie! What type of Deionized water should I be using? I'm seeing Type II, III, IV, etc. Also if anyone knows where the best prices on masa paper and mylar are that would be really helpful. Orvus paste ok to use?
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,120 admin
    I use distilled water, for the final rinse, in all the chems and in the wheat starch. I get the water at walmart or local Kroger store. For other rinses, I use our tap water; it is fairly base and has a good level of calcium in it-I had a report sent to me by our town water treatment manager. 

For the supplies you mentioned-i get my Mylar, Masa paper, wheat starch glue (to cook), cal carb and orvus from Talas Conservation in NY. Im sure you can find lower prices out there, but they have good quality. I get my canvas 60”x30 yrds from Jerry’s Artarama. 

Yeah, you’ll need a good size wash table for larger posters. Mine is 48x60. The only time I use a tray to soak a poster is for deacidification. 
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,346 admin
    What he said...
    I'm building a 4ftx8ft table, plan to buy linoleum top from Home Depot. Linoleum ok? Calcium Carbonate, so that's cooked into the wheat paste at 10% the total weight? Sorry, that's the first I've read of using that chemical. I must have missed that part of the process.
    Thanks again guys, you've been very helpful.
    No just add 10% by weight to the wheat paste before you soak and cook.

wheat paste need to soak for at least an hour.  Cal hydroxide needs to dissolve overnight