Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Stretching Canvas

CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,152 admin
Charlie said:
So I just finished off an Elizabeth Taylor daybill last weekend.  :^o

And have a perfect example to show you Aussies...  

So this is a daybill frame where a linenbacked poster has been cut down.  This one is jointed with pocket screws.  I can talk more about making the frames in another post.

I remove old linen and paper before putting on the new canvas.  I have in the past not done this and it always comes back to bite me. Here I made a slit to manually rip the canvas off the frame.

Old canvas off, now to clean up the remaining masa from the last backing.

If you leave this on here, it can get under the masa or the poster and cause bumps.  Worse it comes off and you don't see it in time. 

With all that removed, these are the tools I use.  An air compressor, finish nailer (w/ staples), and staples.  PSI set around 55 - you don't want the staples to go through the masa.

Here I have loosely fit the cotton canvas (12oz unprimed) over the frame.  I usually leave an inch to inch & a half over hang for grabbing onto.

I've pinned the canvas on two sides and trimed it. You can measure, but this is faster. Got my gloves out!

Here I have pinned all four sides and I am ready to stretch the canvas.  I had Mrs. S video the next part.

And viola!  A stretched canvas ready for Matt's daybill...

That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook

Comments

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,152 admin
    More from the starter thread:

Charlie said:
    David said:
    That's pretty cool stuff Charlie.

I wonder why there is no clamp type frame system that you can lock the canvas in place and just wind out to suit. Maybe have a couple of extension bars to suit different sizes, seems to be very manual that set up
    One thing to consider is how long the posters sometimes stay on the frame.  For example I probably have 20+frames at this point.  I still have a poster that has been on a frame for almost a year because it is a stubborn restoration and mine.  How much would 20 of these frames cost?  Each say OS frame is about $10...  Lets say the stretch fame is $100...  Even if I was efficient and just had 10 frames, that is $1000.  Plus all the misc meterials; how will it hold up.  When it's completely wet will it rust? And so on and so on...  If all my frames are full, I hop in the truck by 2 pieces of 2x4 and go to town.  
    Matt said:
    I spoke with my Dad months ago about that. He says they do have that sort manufacturing process for pre stretched canvas frames sold in art and craft shops. Probably not viable for your Dario's in the world, but I see your point. Something homemade might be the ticket. Just getting it small enough to fit into a studio might be an obstacle?
    This could work but I would say I can do a frame in about 10-15 minutes, from start to finish.  The system would have to be automatic, like in a factory to make it worth it and then how many times am I going to stretch a canvas.  You could devise a system to stretch the canvas over a frame with weights I suppose, but then you need excess linen and you would have to still have to cut it to size and clamp it up.  It would also take up more space. The table I was working on is also where I do the masa, the poster to masa, the paper fills, etc.  Maybe for a shop like PM, but they still do it the old fashion way too.  

That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,853 admin

Star Trek must get a workout at your place.

;)