Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Introduction & Disclaimer

CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,298 admin
Charlie said:
So the first time I started the "Amateur Linenbacking 101" thread, it was sloppy. I was feeling my way through every thing by trial and error.  I have a much better understanding now, so this should really be informative and fun.  I can now also remove the "show and tell" component, I'll keep that to the "Showing Off Threads"...

To start, lets talk basics. Like what you may be getting yourself into.

We will start with a detailed framework as an outline for future posts.

1. Condition Assessment

One of the lessons I learn the hard way (Matt can attest) is to spend some time looking over the poster to determine an restoration action plan.  Does it have writing?  Tape? Stains? Overall Yellowing? Foxing (ouch)? Missing paper?  For each of these condition issue you will need a plan to mitigate them.  This will also impact the different preparations you will need to make for Dry Work, Wet Work, Support, Post Support, and Finish Work  

2. Dry Work

This includes all work determined in your action plan that can be done prior to getting the poster wet.  It includes removal of tape, writing, etc. while it is dry. What equipment you will need.

3. Wet Work

This is probably the most complicated part of the process.  Bathing the poster to remove acids, bleaching, spot removal, etc.  And generally relaxing the paper to assist in the removal of folds and creases.

4.  Support

Providing the poster with a support (unless gel/starch backing) by linenbacking or paperbacking and everything those goes with it - frames, stretching canvas, masa application.  Wheat paste selection, buffering, materials, mylars, etc.

5. Post Support

After the poster has been supported it is time to complete paperfills and burnishing.  This includes methods on paperfills, using compounds, etc.

6. Finish Work

Touch-ups, masking, airbrush, etc... How to get those borders to pop?  What do you do when it is ready to be cut down?  

Stay Tuned!

Charlie aka Pulpfixin

Disclaimer - Has to be done... 

All content provided in this category of the vintagemoviepostersforum.com is for informational purposes only. The author makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information in this category or found by following any link on this site. 

The author of this thread will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.
Post edited by David on
That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...

Comments