Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

War Movies Quiz

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    174: Battle of the Bulge

175: The eagle has landed
    176: Sink the Bismarck 

Battle of the Bulge ( 1965 ), The Eagle Has Landed ( 1976 ) & Sink The Bismarck! ( 1960 ) are all correct as answered by Wil. 
    Lawrence
    Two absolute classics there lawrence! (I won't class Battle of the Bulge as a classic due to major mistakes, the worst being setting a winter movie in the summer!)
    Agree with your comments Wil. Battle of The Bulge is a once only viewed movie for me.
    Lawrence
    Matt said:
    176 ............"bit of a cock up somewhere".
    Please explain?
    Lawrence
     177 178

Name the film titles of some different recreation images featured this time from World War 2 movies.
    Lawrence
  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Wowzers, certainly no rushing with these two! May need to sleep on this one.
    Wil
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,962 admin
    HONDO said:
    Matt said:
    176 ............"bit of a cock up somewhere".
    Please explain?

I've watched Sink the Bismarck so many times, I can quote you the dialog that was in that screenshot.  
    178......Is an Eastwood creature.
    Matt said:

Precise answers would be appreciated ...please.

Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    Matt said:

I would appreciate if Miss Adams was dancing in my lounge room!!!

Matt said:
    HONDO said:
    Matt said:

I would appreciate if Miss Adams was dancing in my lounge room!!!

Ahh.. Miss Julie Adams? 178: Away all boats (1956), thanks for the hints
    Matt :)

Wil
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    177: The Naked and the Dead (1958)

- Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    Ahh.. Miss Julie Adams? 178: Away all boats (1956), thanks for the hints
    Matt :)

jayn_j said:
    177: The Naked and the Dead (1958)

Both correct answers. The two Away All Boats clues that kindly assisted in helping his fellow man, in this case Wil, were courtesy of Matt.

Lawrence

: 

179 180 181

Showcasing some of the fairer sex in war this time. Showing here that women can mix it with the men. Name the actresses and the films that these scenes appeared in. Perhaps a little more difficult than normal, but then maybe not.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:

:Perhaps a little more difficult than normal, but then maybe not.
    Maybe yes! 
    Wil
    Still working on this one Lawrence, sadly a story on Women in WW2 movies offered little help, however it did highlight an older soviet movie called Wings which actually looks and sounds pretty watchable (unlike many of their later war movies).

http://lwlies.com/articles/women-in-world-war-two-movies/
    Wil
    Still working on this one Lawrence, sadly a story on Women in WW2 movies offered little help, however it did highlight an older soviet movie called Wings which actually looks and sounds pretty watchable (unlike many of their later war movies).

http://lwlies.com/articles/women-in-world-war-two-movies/
    An interesting article Wil that I have previously read at some stage or another. Mainly more recent films and Carve her Name With Pride was only recently used here.

Some clues seem to be in order then.

# 179. A renowned multi talented French actress pictured.

# 180. A European born actress in a British film. She also appeared in a some Science fiction films.

# 181. The scene this image is from was from a film directed, produced and written by a famous novelist. Appearing in the film in a major role a highly decorated World War 11 American combat soldier.

Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    #181: Delores Michaels in Battle for Bloody Beach?  Feeding off the Audie Murphy hint.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 

jayn_j said:
    #181: Delores Michaels in Battle for Bloody Beach?  Feeding off the Audie Murphy hint.
    Actress is correct Jay so a half a point, but the film is not the right one, and not Audie Murphy but another well decorated W W11 soldier who also went to Hollywood appears in the film. Delores had a very short Hollywood career with Battle At Bloody Beach being her last 29th Century fox film.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:

jayn_j said:
    Actress is correct Jay so a half a point, but the film is not the right one, and not Audie Murphy but another well decorated W W11 soldier who also went to Hollywood appears in the film. Delores had a very short Hollywood career with Battle At Bloody Beach being her last 29th Century fox film.
    Oops - a typo. 20th Century Fox of course.

The decorated WW2 soldier as he appears in the # 181 yet unidentified film.
    Lawrence
    edited July 28
    Just spent the good part of an hour trawling through a "decorated American WW2 actors" search on google (obviously predominantly Audie Murphy followed by a host of famous 'A listers'), however eventually I'm lead to an uncredited actor for Battleground, which then lead me to:

181: Five Gates To Hell (1959), lead actor Neville Brand.

Wil
    Just spent the good part of an hour trawling through a "decorated American WW2 actors" search on google (obviously predominantly Audie Murphy followed by a host of famous 'A listers'), however eventually I'm lead to an uncredited actor for Battleground, which then lead me to:

181: Five Gates To Hell (1959), lead actor Neville Brand.

181 is correct  and Five Gates To Hell was interestingly written produced and directed by novelist Jame Clavell. Another half point for that answer and very well done Wil for your interest and perseverance in your quest to find the answer.

Neville Brand won numerous awards for his service in World War 11, including being awarded the Silver Star Medal, the United States Armed Force's third-highest personal decoration for valor in combat. He appears above in a scene with Burt Lancaster from Birdman Of Alcatraz ( 1962 ), a rare non tough guy role where he played a sympathetic guard.

Lawrence

Final clue. This film has something the same as in the title of the just solved # 181. This should hand over the answer to someone.

Final clue. The same actress in possibly her most remembered science fiction film role.

Lawrence
    #181 - Jeanne Moreau in 5 Branded Women (1960)
    #180 - Eva Bartok in Operation Amsterdam (1959).  SciFi film was The Gamma People.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    oops.  I meant 179 for 5 Branded Women.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    jayn_j said:
    #181 - Jeanne Moreau in 5 Branded Women (1960)
    #180 - Eva Bartok in Operation Amsterdam (1959).  SciFi film was The Gamma People.
    jayn_j said:
    oops.  I meant 179 for 5 Branded Women.
    Both correct Jay and well done.

next.

Lawrence
    Well done Jay, I was a tad lost on those two and glad someone else jumped in with booth feet!!
    Wil
     183  184

Kicking of a series of British war film images for one to enjoy and of course to answer.

Lawrence
    edited August 2
    Well 183 is the true late war classic with Mr Niven as the platoon commander of a mixed bag of recruits in - The Way Ahead (1944)

I believe this is from the 1999 UK rerelease? If not a 'special' print.
    Wil