Skip to content

How do you photograph your posters???

I've been thinking about changing my system and am curious how everyone else shoots their posters...

Comments

• Very poorly I find most of the time!  I think I need a new camera.

I just have em up on a whiteboard with magnets and snap away.

Works reasonably well most of the time.

• I have never changed how I photograph posters. I simply put them on a black mat on the floor and photograph them that way, sometimes using flash depending on whether they are glossy or not. I don't have time to use magnets. I always keep a high res image on file.
  • John said:
    I have never changed how I photograph posters. I simply put them on a black mat on the floor and photograph them that way, sometimes using flash depending on whether they are glossy or not. I don't have time to use magnets. I always keep a high res image on file.
    How do you do this straight onto the poster?  With a glossy one don't you get glare?  And if you don't use flash don't you get a blurred image?
  • Just for forums, badly, and with a cheap camera.

I have set up a magnet board it the garage though and are currently getting ready to photograph everything for a website....Time being the killer at the moment. 
  • John said:
    I have never changed how I photograph posters. I simply put them on a black mat on the floor and photograph them that way, sometimes using flash depending on whether they are glossy or not. I don't have time to use magnets. I always keep a high res image on file.
    How do you do this straight onto the poster?  With a glossy one don't you get glare?  And if you don't use flash don't you get a blurred image?

I take the photos inside where there is good filtered natural light so I generally don't use a flash. You need to experiment with different places until you find the best spot. I never get a blurred image that way. I hold the camera at about shoulder height and make sure that the camera is in a position where the image will be close enough square or rectangular depending on the type of poster. It takes a bit of trial and error but seems to work adequately and you can take lots of photos very quickly this way.

• Mine was inspired by Bruce's set up, a much cheaper and les quality set up however.

Like Ves with a Whiteboard (although mine is grey), rare-earth magnets because they are smaller and stronger and a couple of lights. Fixed focus on the camera and a remote control to take the pics.

I also mark the floors with permanent markers so I can quickly setup the tripod and lights in the same place each time and I am good to go. The board is marked so I know where to put 1SH vs Daybill vs Lobbys etc. Generally I shoot the same size in batches as the focus has to change for different sizes

This was my set-up in NSW, will be pretty much the same here in VIC.

The Pug is optional...

• David said:
    Mine was inspired by Bruce's set up, a much cheaper and les quality set up however.

Like Ves with a Whiteboard (although mine is grey), rare-earth magnets because they are smaller and stronger and a couple of lights. Fixed focus on the camera and a remote control to take the pics.

I also mark the floors with permanent markers so I can quickly setup the tripod and lights in the same place each time and I am good to go. The board is marked so I know where to put 1SH vs Daybill vs Lobbys etc. Generally I shoot the same size in batches as the focus has to change for different sizes

This was my set-up in NSW, will be pretty much the same here in VIC.

The Pug is optional...

You mean, I've been doing the umbrellas wrong the whole time.  I've always pointed them the other way!  I never liked them because there was too much light... doh!
  • Charlie said:You mean, I've been doing the umbrellas wrong the whole time.  I've always pointed them the other way!  I never liked them because there was too much light... doh!
    Yes, the idea is you bounce the light off the umbrella, so it is defused, and when done right, it almost eliminates glare.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• edited January 2016
    Bruce said:
    Charlie said:You mean, I've been doing the umbrellas wrong the whole time.  I've always pointed them the other way!  I never liked them because there was too much light... doh!
    Yes, the idea is you bounce the light off the umbrella, so it is defused, and when done right, it almost eliminates glare.
    Yup. And mine are not pointed directly at the poster, as I said, inspired by Bruce, they shine across the poster, sort of 'wash' the poster with light
  • I think it all depends on how much trouble you want to go to to get top quality photos. Most would probably not want to have the umbrella/white board set up because it takes up space and is more time consuming. I also prefer having photos without magnets displaying.

The photographers at some major auctions use a vacuum press to take photos but the downside is that the flaws and foldlines are not so prominent for potential buyers to see.

It is easy enough to take great photos of daybills without any umbrellas or magnets, etc but one sheets are not so easy. If you have a high quality camera you will get great results.

• edited January 2016
    John said:

The photographers at some major auctions use a vacuum press to take photos but the downside is that the flaws and foldlines are not so prominent for potential buyers to see.

Some auctions see it as an upside that the flaws and foldlines are not so prominent for potential buyers to see!

Another problem with vacuum presses is the noise, and you usually have to turn it off to get the poster off. They definitely increase the chances of enlarging rips and separations.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    John said:

Some auctions see it as an upside that the flaws and foldlines are not so prominent for potential buyers to see!

Yes, photographs that clearly show folds don't look so good in printed catalogues.
  • John said:

I think it all depends on how much trouble you want to go to to get top quality photos. 

This is true, and each to their own. However the OCD in me has a need to display consistent (as possible) images, when I see 'horizon' shots of posters (the top is further away than the bottom) or different coloured carpet as a backdrop I tend to go ick and besides it's part of something I enjoy doing.

John said:

Most would probably not want to have the umbrella/white board set up because it takes up space and is more time consuming. 

Not really, the umbrella was bought off eBay where there are plenty of cheap/affordable ones and setting it all up takes no more than 5 minutes, the whiteboard is permanently fixed and again the umbrellas pack away just as quick, so not a big deal for me.

John said:

I also prefer having photos without magnets displaying.

I find without the magnet the poster fall off the whiteboard.   =)

John said:

If you have a high quality camera you will get great results.

This is true. I only have a four year old mid-range (back then) Nikon, it takes pretty great hi-res images and although I don't post hi-res images on the website anyone who wants a closer look I am happy to provide a copy, and do.
  • Any pointers on the best place to store your photos online?
  • err Photobucket  =)

• Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!

• edited July 2017
    For my lobby cards, I bought a B size (11x17) all in one printer/fax/scanner.  Just put it on the scanner and hit the button.  pick a filename and a location.  Most I have to do is a quick crop job. 1 don't really have a good solution for larger stuff.

edit: actually, if I buy from major houses, like Bruce, I will get a high res image without watermarks.  Why should I bother when Bruce has already gone through the pain?
  • Bruce, do you grade on the board?
  • jayn_j said:
    If I buy from major houses, like Bruce, I will get a high res image without watermarks.  Why should I bother when Bruce has already gone through the pain?
    This is SO true. Whether you are a dealer looking for a great image for your auction, or a collector looking for a great image to add to your site, why in the world should you photograph it again?

We offer every buyer the supersized unwatermarked images, but ONLY to the buyers.

• David said:
    Bruce, do you grade on the board?
    I wish I could set it up that way. You need to come "take the tour" to see how everything works.

I have given around 100 tours to collectors. I have no trade secrets, so dealers are welcome too (except for a couple).

The number one comment I get at the end is "I knew this had to be big, but I am still amazed by how gigantic an operation it is"!