Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Support Our Sponsors:

Be qick to save!

Now open!

Advertise here - click to read how

Why do people use Hotmail?

JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
I have a number of customers who use Hotmail for their emails. Hotmail seems to routinely and randomly block genuine emails. Some get through, some don't. Customers often think that sellers are not replying to their emails only to find that the replies have either gone to their spam folders or been completely blocked. If you are using Hotmail, I would recommend getting something else for your emails.
John

Comments

• BruceBruce Member Posts: 727 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Amen, brother! There is also Earthlink and while those two are the worst, there are other bad ones.

We even have a few people still on AOL!

We have never had the slightest problem with anyone with a gmail account.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    How is yahoo from experience john , bruce?
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 5,984 admin
    I keep hotmail, yahoo and gmail addresses... Hotmail was my first almost 20 years ago.  Can't really switch.  I've never had a huge problem. I run it through outlook and have folders setup.  So for example anything with emovieposter.com goes into a folder...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Yahoo and gmail seem to be OK but Hotmail is a joke. A customer has emailed me three times over the last few days. I have replied to each and even used different email address to contact him but he hasn't received any of the emails and in his latest email he has asked why I hadn't replied.
    John

• MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,627 admin
    I use Hotmail, never really had a problem in 20 or so years. I have a heap of folders as well.
    Well, the thing is that you often don't know if you are missing emails.
    John

• MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,627 admin

But you've found out that you have missed emails. I've never had that problem. There are many ways to contact a person and never once has someone said to me  "I tried multiple times to contact you"

• DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,061 admin
    Never had a problem (that I am aware) with Hotmail, I had a few issues with GMail hitting my outgoing emails from the @vintagemovieposters.com.au usually caused because they/it thinks you are a spammer, but these can be fixed by sorting it out directly with Gmail directly to fix the issue
    David
    Matt said: There are many ways to contact a person and never once has someone said to me  "I tried multiple times to contact you"
    There is actually no way that I know of contacting the customer who is sending me emails through hotmail. He keeps sending them, I keep replying, he keeps asking me why I dont reply.

John

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

cause it's free and easy...

I have a Hotmail account, and I don't think the issue is Hotmail.

I don't treat that email address any difference than my personal one...check junk mail...add email addresses to safe sender list...All about the user.

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 5,984 admin
    John said:
    Matt said: There are many ways to contact a person and never once has someone said to me  "I tried multiple times to contact you"
    There is actually no way that I know of contacting the customer who is sending me emails through hotmail. He keeps sending them, I keep replying, he keeps asking me why I dont reply.

Maybe it's your email???
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
    Charlie said:
    John said:

Maybe it's your email???
    Not sure what you mean. I just hit the reply button and Hotmail blocks the messages. It doesn't happen all the time. I think it is an issue with their spam filters because, as Bruce says, there seems to be no similar problems with other servers.
    John

More problems with Hotmail. I have sent three emails to a customer about an enquiry and he keeps sending messages saying "why don't you reply to my emails?" Out of desperation, I finally managed to contact him by sending a paypal money request! To those of you who say you don't have any problems with Hotmail, you really have no way of knowing if you are missing genuine emails.
    John

• DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,061 admin
    edited June 2016
    Possibly your server is being marked as a source of spam, or your IP address or your domain or your email.

Check here

You can also go the extra hard step by not allowing these 'free' email accounts register on your site, very few people don't have a 'proper' one.

The reality is the FREE email service have very harsh spam detection as a method to 'protect' their clients, theirs is a catchall service which is less selective than private services offered by other hosts. The frustrating thing is most spam comes from gmail, outlook.com and hotmail housed accounts because as soon as they are reported and shut down they open up another one.
    Post edited by David on
    David
  • papergathererpapergatherer Member Posts: 74 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    I've had a hotmail account for years and never had a problem with sent emails, missing emails, or not receiving them. I don't use it as much now, but it's there when i need it.