Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Support Our Sponsors:

Be qick to save!

Now open!

Advertise here - click to read how

Questions for Bruce-EMP

12346»

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Bruce said:
    They did 16x20 full color stills for many titles in the late 1960s, and a few 20x30s. I would think that is what these were (just giant blown up stills).

I highly doubt they were half-sheets, but I guess anything is possible!

The 16 x 20  and the 20 x 30 sizes don't match up with the advertised 22 X 28 size, that I am looking in to. As the two ''Ad-sales available'' advertised size and the ''selling aids'' advertised size of 22 x  28 were from different film distributors and printed at different times, this size would have to be accurate. Do you have an image of a 20 x 30 or at least the name of the U.S. distributor involved with this size?

Yes it would seem very highly improbable that the advertising would have referred to U.S. half sheets, but with nothing turning up to show and prove what the stills and enlargements looked like, and with some circumstantial evidence I have, suggests to me anyhow, that they could possibly be half sheets advertised with an odd description.

Lawrence
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,627 admin

The Sound of Music one sheet was a smaller size.

I think Rick has one??? I've seen one down at Tyabb. It was roughly 22 x 28.

Thanks Matt and others who have replied to my original question put to Bruce and follow up discussions . Is this the poster you are referring to Mark? It is has been described as an Australian window card 23.5'' x 16.5'' one off, as it was printed in error, due to a mixup, according to Phil Edwards.

Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Yes i have that, and sent one down Tyabb way a while back
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Hi Bruce several months ago you mentioned of you did not receive more consignments you wpuld reduce auctions from three to twice a week. Was curious for how long three times a week auctions would continue for based on supply. Thanks! 
  • BruceBruce Member Posts: 727 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    After that we had four trucks arrive (two 24 footers), two in a single day!

We realistically have months more in which we can continue three auctions a week.

And we get ten to twenty consignment packages every DAY!

In what spirit is this question asked?
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    edited October 2017
    Thanks Bruce ! 
    Regarding  "In what spirit is this question asked?"

It was asked with nice and innocent spirit . Since i started collecting 6 years ago ive only known EMP as a three times a week auction house and its nice to always have something on the horizon as a colllector to feed the addiction (even if window shopping) So when you mentioned it might reduce to two times a week i was a little bit sad and forgot about it, then remembered this week. But yay 3 times a week continues !!  :) 

Some auctions have massive inventories that they draw off of to stock their auctions. So they start out each auction with a large percentage of items from their own stock (often repeats from past sales), and they can have a new auction with just a few new consignments.

But I start from zero every time, so I have to hope we keep getting more and more consignments, at least 16,000 items a month just to break even. So far we have done this, but I can't predict the future.

I will try to keep the three times a week going for as long as possible!

See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HereComesMongoHereComesMongo Member Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Saw your message about Easy Rider PB.

Have you ever seen the "missing" 8th LC  which shows the death of the stars?

Many moons ago somebody posted a WTB and said it had been removed from sets distributed to theaters.

Mel S. Hutson
    Charlotte, NC USA
    My reference website: moviepostercollectors.guide
    My Current Poster Collection

This Easy Rider card you are inquiring about has well and truly been used.
    Lawrence
    Guy said he had been looking for it for years, so must be rare.
    Mel S. Hutson
    Charlotte, NC USA

edited December 2017
    Yes, EMP has sold one twice but it is "missing" from very other set sold on EMP and other venues:

Mel S. Hutson
    Charlotte, NC USA

• DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,061 admin
    Two different sets both with the same card missing...weird
    David
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Hi Bruce,

In your last stills auction, there were some Suspiria 8 x 10s that I was looking at and I was curious about the way they were listed.

They were 7 stills that were included in the press kit back in 1977, designated by having a letter / number on them - eg. S - 4 - as opposed to the NSS still sets which show 77/133.

I have a couple of queries:

* Is there / has there been a reason why you don't differentiate between the styles of 8 x 10s? NSS B & Ws, Press B & Ws and NSS colour? 
    * The 7 stills in the recent auction are only a partial set; there were two lots of 9 stills released (that I am aware of) - is there / has there been any consideration given to mentioning in the auction description whether the stills are a full or partial set?

Thanks!
    Pancho, what you suggest would require at least one more employee, and make doing auctions of multiple stills, already our least profitable auction an insanely unprofitable one.

I auction newer multiple stills and newer rolled one-sheets just so I can say I will auction anything. My life would be FAR less hectic without either of those auctions!
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    BH's fav phrase  =)

Mel S. Hutson
    Charlotte, NC USA

edited December 2017
    Hi Bruce

Regardimg Star Wars US one sheets.

Why is 77-21-0 considered the first printing?

Here are some thoughts  why it may not be

1. I cant find a star wars insert or half sheet with 77-21-0
    2. All other one sheet posters from different titles with NSS information do not have a -0 to indicate a first printing
    3. At the time of first printing a stock shortage was not anticipated so why would not the standard NSS code be used 77-21. Then after the supply shortage was recognised add the 0.

Thanks!!

Sven
    EVERY expert agrees on this. Ask Steve Sansweet or Pete Vilmur. They surely have the answers to your questions, and both are on Facebook.
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,377 admin
    Those are interesting observations, Sven! Wonder if 20th Cent Fox numbered any other poster that year with a leading "0". Would love to hear what Sansweet or Vilmur have to say. 
    Mark
    @Bruce, not sure this has been asked before, but where do you get your inventory for your "Fixed Price Items?"  How do you determine a fixed price?
    Mark
    @Bruce, not sure this has been asked before, but where do you get your inventory for your "Fixed Price Items?"  How do you determine a fixed price?
    It is pretty simple. If someone sends us 6 or more of a poster that are all in VERY similar condition, then we add it to the Fixed Price section. We look at past sales results, and try to find a mid-range price that people will likely pay if they are looking for that poster.

Then, when one sells, we raise the price by around 10%, so if all six sell, the last one sold for close to double what the first one sold for.

If it stops selling altogether, then we lower the price.
    Neat formula, Bruce-thanks for answering. 
    Mark