Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Questions for Bruce-EMP

123457

Comments

  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 800 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited February 11
    Here is how it was in June of 2014, when we had 37,504 customers. Note the differences:


    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 800 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I JUST NOTICED MEL POSTED THE WRONG CHART (the one from 2014).

    HERE IS THE ONE FROM FEBRUARY 2018:


    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 800 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Can one of you mods delete Mel's post above (it sure makes this all confusing, since he put the wrong date above it)!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 800 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    The current active total (bought within a year) is around 13,000.

    These are the 59 countries grouped as "All other countries": Chile    9
    Colombia    9
    Croatia (Hrvatska)    9
    Philippines    9
    Malta    9
    Peru    7
    Iceland    7
    Egypt    6
    Indonesia    6
    Ukraine    6
    United Arab Emirates    6
    Serbia, Republic of    5
    Slovak Republic (Slovakia)    5
    Malaysia    5
    Iran    5
    Romania    5
    Pakistan    4
    Saudi Arabia    3
    Uruguay    3
    Andorra    3
    Luxembourg    3
    Puerto Rico    3
    Bulgaria    3
    San Marino    3
    Georgia    2
    Albania    2
    Venezuela    2
    Costa Rica    2
    Kuwait    2
    Sri Lanka    2
    Azerbaijan    2
    England    2
    Morocco    2
    French Polynesia    1
    Nepal    1
    Cape Verde    1
    Jordan    1
    American Samoa    1
    Kenya    1
    Nicaragua    1
    Viet Nam    1
    Kiribati    1
    Slovenia    1
    Zimbabwe    1
    Guam    1
    Armenia    1
    Guatemala    1
    Panama    1
    Macao    1
    Bahrain    1
    Ecuador    1
    Macedonia    1
    Bermuda    1
    El Salvador    1
    Qatar    1
    Tunisia    1
    Iraq    1
    Monaco    1
    Cambodia    1

    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,138 admin
    England 2?

    Monaco 1 - a tax free haven, they must spend all their money on Champagne then!

    Got some hard to find places too: Cape Verde and Kirabati.


    David
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 852 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Are these unique buyers or say if I buy items from 10 different auctions (not 10 items but separate auctions) am I counted 10 times?  
    -Chris

    There's a street of lights

    A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 800 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    David said:
    England 2?

    Monaco 1 - a tax free haven, they must spend all their money on Champagne then!

    Got some hard to find places too: Cape Verde and Kirabati.


    The "England" must be ones entered incorrectly (note the rest of England is lumped in with the U.K.)

    And yes, we have had some purchases from very exotic locations! When we got the order from Kirabati, I thought it was a made-up country!

    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 800 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Are these unique buyers or say if I buy items from 10 different auctions (not 10 items but separate auctions) am I counted 10 times?  
    All are unique. There are people who have bought ten thousand items, and they count as one.

    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I need to find 37 of my countrymen and kick them in the ass if they bid on the same stuff I do...
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,138 admin
    Bruce said:
    Are these unique buyers or say if I buy items from 10 different auctions (not 10 items but separate auctions) am I counted 10 times?  
    All are unique. There are people who have bought ten thousand items, and they count as one.

    On that basis there are probably 10,000 people who bought one item too. Be far easier and cheaper if you had a dozen or so of the former!
    David
  • HereComesMongoHereComesMongo Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Bruce said:
    I JUST NOTICED MEL POSTED THE WRONG CHART (the one from 2014).

    Ha, not sure how that happened(?). Like I inexplicably found a tube here recently with 25 valuable/cool MPs that SOMEHOW survived consignment/destruction/moving/3 years  :|

    But as we all know ALL PUBLICITY IS GOOD PUBLICITY!

    For example you-know-who went to jail for one night for ... something ... and quadrupled her "famous for being famous" popularity.



    Um, not a bad mug shot....
    Mel S. Hutson
    Charlotte, NC USA
    My reference website: moviepostercollectors.guide
    My Current Poster Collection



  • TobTob Member Posts: 15 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Thanks for sharing, Bruce. Very interesting. 

    It'd be fascinating to crunch the numbers in detail to try and get an idea of the number of 'active' collectors out there and how that has changed. It'd probably be pretty time consuming to analyze the numbers though...so do you have a gut feel on the state of the hobby, Bruce? Your sales seem to go up year on year, so hopefully that's a positive sign that folk still enjoy collecting posters. 
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 800 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    The number of active collectors on our site absolutely DOES go up quite a bit every year!

    As far as "your sales seem to go up year on year", that confuses me. Go here, http://www.emovieposter.com/sales/postersales.php, and look at the yearly sales figures.

    We have been on a pretty steady upward march from $1,883,722.71 in yearly sales to $5,596,923.00, with only a few small downturns along the way.

    The hobby IS growing, but not evenly in all collecting areas. Some, like westerns and 1950s horror/sci-fi have been leveling off, and others, like many top 1970s and 1980s titles have been steadily rising in interest and price.



    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,138 admin
    Bruce said:

    The number of active collectors on our site absolutely DOES go up quite a bit every year!

    As far as "your sales seem to go up year on year", that confuses me. Go here, http://www.emovieposter.com/sales/postersales.php, and look at the yearly sales figures.

    We have been on a pretty steady upward march from $1,883,722.71 in yearly sales to $5,596,923.00, with only a few small downturns along the way.

    The hobby IS growing, but not evenly in all collecting areas. Some, like westerns and 1950s horror/sci-fi have been leveling off, and others, like many top 1970s and 1980s titles have been steadily rising in interest and price.
    Like Tob says it'd be fascinating to crunch the numbers and drill down to find is it increased unit sales or increased average prices; if sales are increasing for the later (younger) titles then is that helping push the numbers along because there is more availability of posters; find what the average title is by decade and genre - eg are silent movie poster value are on the increase, are musical titles declining and so on.

    Related image

    David
  • TobTob Member Posts: 15 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Bruce said:
    As far as "your sales seem to go up year on year", that confuses me. Go here, http://www.emovieposter.com/sales/postersales.php, and look at the yearly sales figures.

    We have been on a pretty steady upward march from $1,883,722.71 in yearly sales to $5,596,923.00, with only a few small downturns along the way.

    The hobby IS growing, but not evenly in all collecting areas. Some, like westerns and 1950s horror/sci-fi have been leveling off, and others, like many top 1970s and 1980s titles have been steadily rising in interest and price.
    Yep, that's what I meant by "your sales seem to go up year on year" - total yearly sales have steadily climbed. 

    Good stuff, thanks Bruce, sounds like the hobby is in decent shape.
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 800 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    David said:

    Like Tob says it'd be fascinating to crunch the numbers and drill down to find is it increased unit sales or increased average prices; if sales are increasing for the later (younger) titles then is that helping push the numbers along because there is more availability of posters; find what the average title is by decade and genre - eg are silent movie poster value are on the increase, are musical titles declining and so on.

    Go to http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archive.html and start crunching away! You can do it as well as I can.

    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,138 admin
    I said it'd be fascinating, I didn't volunteer to be one of your 27 employees - one bazillion sales results to filter...no thanks! But you pay me my hourly rate and I'll see you in 6-12 months... ;)
    David
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 800 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    David said:
    I said it'd be fascinating, I didn't volunteer to be one of your 27 employees - one bazillion sales results to filter...no thanks! But you pay me my hourly rate and I'll see you in 6-12 months... ;)
    =)
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 800 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    What did you experts think of the daybill prices yesterday? Good, bad, meh? Would you rather be a buyer or a consignor at those prices?
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Bruce said:
    What did you experts think of the daybill prices yesterday? Good, bad, meh? Would you rather be a buyer or a consignor at those prices?
    Speaking only for  the Australian posters sales, I think for titles we have seen auctioned many times before, the sales were overall up on  previous prices for these titles. Titles like Top Gun and The Ladykillers were lower than previous sales but The Bad And The Beautiful, A Double Life, South Pacific, Jaws 2, In The Heat Of The Night, Halloween ( wow ) and Raiders of The Lost Ark were up in the prices realised over previous prices. Some first timers fared very well. Moon Over And Miami, Valerie, The Vampire and surpisingly a daybill in poor conditioned and not the best designed poster Girl Of The Year ( Petty Girl ) all sold well. A believe the sellers in most cases would have been happy with the results.  
    Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 565 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Bruce said:
    What did you experts think of the daybill prices yesterday? Good, bad, meh? Would you rather be a buyer or a consignor at those prices?
    Ask me in 5 more auctions.  Individual auction results don't mean anything.  They certainly don't show movement in value.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,726 admin
    jayn_j said:
    Bruce said:
    What did you experts think of the daybill prices yesterday? Good, bad, meh? Would you rather be a buyer or a consignor at those prices?
    Ask me in 5 more auctions.  Individual auction results don't mean anything.  They certainly don't show movement in value.
    I'm not knowledgeable with daybill price history; but the price realized for South Pacific was very high (the last two sales $107 & $218; I paid $24 for mine exactly one year ago; so i agree with Jay. 
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Nice results Bruce! 

    I'm also impressed with the Lost in Translation one sheet at $950  =)

    @Bruce for lobby cards consigned last year when do you roughly think they will be auctioned by? I understand you have a fair few to auction off!
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 800 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Sven said:
    Nice results Bruce! 

    I'm also impressed with the Lost in Translation one sheet at $950  =)

    @Bruce for lobby cards consigned last year when do you roughly think they will be auctioned by? I understand you have a fair few to auction off!
    We are currently sitting on around 3,000 single lobby cards. We do 999 per auction, and by the time we do another one, we are consigned at least 999 more, so it is hard to ever catch up. But send a private email to my work, and I will make sure yours go in the next one that is not a single owner collection. Or are you talking about sets? Either way, email me and I will get them to auction soon.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Bruce said:
    Sven said:
    Nice results Bruce! 

    I'm also impressed with the Lost in Translation one sheet at $950  =)

    @Bruce for lobby cards consigned last year when do you roughly think they will be auctioned by? I understand you have a fair few to auction off!
    We are currently sitting on around 3,000 single lobby cards. We do 999 per auction, and by the time we do another one, we are consigned at least 999 more, so it is hard to ever catch up. But send a private email to my work, and I will make sure yours go in the next one that is not a single owner collection. Or are you talking about sets? Either way, email me and I will get them to auction soon.
    Thanks sir! Droppng an email! 
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 800 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Got your email. I will locate those last two lobby cards and get them auctioned!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,726 admin

    Bruce,

    I see that you have "folded One Sheets" beginning on Sunday (2/25). Is this unusual? don't think ive ever seen one sheets begin and end on a sunday?


    It seems "lesser demand?" items usually start & end on the sundays. *I mean no slight to those who buy the sunday items.

  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 800 ✭✭✭ Daybiller

    Bruce,

    I see that you have "folded One Sheets" beginning on Sunday (2/25). Is this unusual? don't think ive ever seen one sheets begin and end on a sunday?


    It seems "lesser demand?" items usually start & end on the sundays. *I mean no slight to those who buy the sunday items.


    There was an unusual reason for this. The auction contains around 70 English one-sheets, and around 130 "international style" one-sheets (printed for use outside the U.S.). Since these figure to have greater appeal to non-U.S. bidders than "regular" one-sheets, I am having the auction run from Sunday to Sunday, so they can end starting at 3 PM CST, four hours earlier than the Tuesday and Thursday items, which means the English and European bidders don't have to set their alarms to bid at the end times!

    And you are not quite right about the Sunday auctions being "lesser". They tend to be about equal to the Thursday auctions. Both of those are usually around 25% under the Tuesday auctions, but that is only because I have always put the best stuff there, since those auctions have been running years longer than the Sunday and Thursday auctions.

    But I think there is no longer any fear that people won't remember to bid, if there are items they care for in any of the auctions. That is why I have been starting the major auctions on Sunday, and that has not hurt them any.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,726 admin

     Great stuff, Bruce; thanks for responding in detail. Looking forward the Sunday paper!

    I can't imagine having to set my alarm for middle of night to bid, but guess I'd have to.... :wink:


  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Bruce said:
    Got your email. I will locate those last two lobby cards and get them auctioned!
    Thanks !
Sign In or Register to comment.

This Vintage Movie Poster Forum is powered by some old cinema posters, the flame retardant properties of a Top Gun Daybill, and a
British Quad which has been folded just the right amount of times and shoved under one of the corners to stop the place from wobbling.