Skip to content

Missing Australian Universal Horror Posters

Comments

• Beauteous poster Ves - thanks for posting
  • Test...
  • Back to normal. Thanks Charlie.

• The Mummy's Hand Long Australian Daybill - sorry best image I could get:

Is that really a long daybill? The proportions seem way off from 15x40.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• edited March 2017
    I think the printed area is fooling you because I measured the pic on screen and it has the right proportions.
  • I can only tell you what I have been told/found...now if I had one...
  • edited March 2017
    HONDO said:

I believe there is a strong possibility this could be a second printing daybill. No proof but certain facts lead me to think the original may have been a Marchant long daybill. I will get back here after I complete some more research. I cannot read the printer's credits on this poster, so any help to work out the name would be appreciated.

Marchant was the preferred printer of Universal Pictures around the period this daybill was printed, but it appears the occasional W.E.Smith daybill was printed for Universal as well. There is a strong possibility  this Horror Island daybill was printed for the Australian release in 1941.
  • 1942 Australian newspaper ad.

The Strange Case Of Doctor RX ( 1942 ). Should be a Marchant or W.E.Smith daybill out there somewhere.

• The Photobucket deleted images removed recently of Horror Island and The Mummy's Hand, I have now restored. 

• Horror Island is cool!
  • Werewolf Of London ( 1935 ). Another Universal classic horror film that an image of an Australian daybill seems to be unavailable. The magnificent original U.S.insert poster image posted above had me wondering as to what an Australian long daybill would look like? I thought also the above Australian original release newspaper advertising for the film from late 1935 and very early 1936 you would find of interest.

• he Wolf Man ( 1941 ). Yet another classic Universal horror title missing a daybill image. Interestingly the Australian film censor gave the film the milder Not suitable for general exhibition rating and not the Suitable only for adults one. There has to be a nice daybill of this title out there somewhere residing within a collector's stash, one would hope. Great U.S. insert pictured above along with a newspaper advertisement from the Australian first release in 1942.

• Night Monster ( 1942 ). U.S. inset from the original 1942 release and an Australian  re-release daybill, probably 1950s, and finally an Australian newspaper advertisement from the first release in 1943. The duotone re-release daybill has been in the market place over the years but where is the original release full colour daybill ? Ves had on another thread previously organised for us to see the original  Marchant daybill, but Photobucket has since removed it. Ves has kindly resent the original daybill image to me so all can see the missing, then found, then missing again but now again available image for all to see.

Original Australian Marchant daybill.

•   

Son Of Frankenstein ( 1939 ). Above is a U.S. one sheet and a newspaper advertisement from the release in Australia in 1939. The missing Australian daybill would have been a long daybill, and most likely a great design printed by Marchant and Co.

•  

U.S. one sheet poster of The Old Dark House ( 1932 ) and the U.S insert poster.

A 1933 Australian newspaper advertisement, with the image copied from the U.S. one sheet, has me pondering what the original long daybill would have look like. 

• U.S. A. one sheet and lobby card of The Raven ( 1935 ).

An Australian newspaper advertisement from 1935, with a similar image appearing on it of Karloff that appears on the U.S. lobby card. Once more hopefully one day an image of an Australian long daybill will surface.

• From Craig's collection the original 15 x 40 long daybill of Horror Island and the trimmed image of the film previously displayed on this thread.  

• Dracula's daughter ( 1936 ) U.S.A. insert and an original newspaper advertisement from the first release in Australia.

An unusual Australian newspaper advertisement produced for the first release in Perth in 1936.

One ponders what the original Australian long daybill would have looked like. We can only hope to see one surface one day.

• edited March 2018
    Original release ads from Sydney >>
    Note the censor info

• Usually known as Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein ( a.k.a. Bud Abbott & Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein ) ( 1948 ). A U.S.A. insert and a black and white still, featuring the Universal  monsters that appear in this horror comedy.

A rare British first release quad with the now retitled Abbott & Costello Meet The Ghosts name appearing on it.

In Australia we followed the U.K., and the film was released here also as Abbott & Costello Meet The Ghosts. I have never sited a copy or image of an Australian daybill.  Almost certainly it would have have been printed by W.E.Smith, assuring a very nice looking daybill was produced. There has to be a copy out there somewhere. I couldn't find a suitable image of an Australian newspaper advertisement with images from the film to include here. All I could come up with is basic, and all other ads are similar to the sample shown above.

• Very very cool Mark!
  • Mark's newly posted image reminded me I have had the following sitting in my drafts folder for some time now, so now it is the time to reveal it.

The Cat Creeps ( 1930 ). U.S.A. insert and an Australian newspaper advertisement from 1931. The film is presumed lost. Most unlikely that a daybill will turn up, but it may be under some floorboards somewhere, just waiting to be discovered. If it surfaces one day hopefully it will be a good design. One thing for sure though, it will be rare.
  • OMG Beautiful!
  • All beautiful, great vintage artwork........
  • HONDO said:

Werewolf Of London ( 1935 ). Another Universal classic horror film that an image of an Australian daybill seems to be unavailable. The magnificent original U.S.insert poster image posted above had me wondering as to what an Australian long daybill would look like? I thought also the above Australian original release newspaper advertising for the film from late 1935 and very early 1936 you would find of interest.

Mark said:
    What a daybill may look like >>

Grouping together Mark's first release Australian advertisement image with my earlier posted July 2017 information so that it is all together.

• Dracula ( 1931). Original U.S.A. insert poster. A daybill of this famous film is probably every one's dream to own one. Some newspaper advertisements from the original Australian release has one thinking what the original long daybill may have looked like.

• HONDO said:

Hopefully it will surface, and hopefully it will be as stunning as this is!