Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Missing Australian Universal Horror Posters

124»

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

HONDO  said;
    Just to tidy things up, for the record, the titles of the five films sometimes credited incorrectly as being horror films that I had previously mentioned are - Night Key, The Invisible Woman, The Mystery Of Edwin Drood, The Mystery Of Marie Roget And The Secret Of The Blue Room.

I thought I would include this Australian newspaper advertisement for The Invisible Woman from 1941 here as well. 

If and when I come across any Australian newspaper advertisements for Night Key, The Mystery Of Edwin Drood or The Secret Of The Blue Room I will also include them here as well. 
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:

1934 film.  1941 film.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               The two films released in 1934 and 1941 were based on The Black Cat by Edgar Allen Poe. Both versions were released in Australia. The black and white Australian newspaper advertisements from both versions displayed here along  with original release U.S.A. posters. Similar U.S. DVD images are also displayed.  Between the different images it should enable us to conjure up in our minds what any Australian posters may have looked like, but more importantly, where are the Australian posters?

I have had this thread completed and sitting in drafts for ages. Seeing Ves has just opened a thread about The Black Cat it would appear the ideal time to present mine.

An update on one of The Black Cat films. Just a note to inform you that a daybill of The Black Cat, the 1941 version, was auctioned and sold at Christie's Melbourne Australia on  July 18, 1993, and was sold for $187. We now know that a daybill existed then and hopefully it still does and  an image will surface one day for us to see.
    Lawrence

The Cat And The Canaty ( 1927 ) image courtesy of John, that I thought deserved a place on this thread.
    Lawrence
    edited June 10

The Australian daybill is interestingly credited as being '' a Universal Super special".

Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    Mark's newly posted image reminded me I have had the following sitting in my drafts folder for some time now, so now it is the time to reveal it.

The Cat Creeps ( 1930 ). U.S.A. insert and an Australian newspaper advertisement from 1931. The film is presumed lost. Most unlikely that a daybill will turn up, but it may be under some floorboards somewhere, just waiting to be discovered. If it surfaces one day hopefully it will be a good design. One thing for sure though, it will be rare.

The fantastic The Cat Creeps daybill and my original posting  needed to be grouped together. 

Lawrence
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 10 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Here's an oddity from my collection. It's a hand painted Son Of Frankenstein. I was told it was used in a cinema in the Blue Mountains and painted by the owner(?) because he wasn't able to get posters for it. I don't know if it was just for this title or whether it was a regular thing he did. The signature is Ernest A. Cook. Does anyone have any information on this?

dedeposter said:
    Here's an oddity from my collection. It's a hand painted Son Of Frankenstein. I was told it was used in a cinema in the Blue Mountains and painted by the owner(?) because he wasn't able to get posters for it. I don't know if it was just for this title or whether it was a regular thing he did. The signature is Ernest A. Cook. Does anyone have any information on this?

Interesting poster for many reasons. Could we have the measurements of the poster ? 

Lawrence
    HONDO said:
      dedeposter said:

Interesting poster for many reasons. Could we have the measurements of the poster ? 

29.5" x 39.5" - It's just painted on plain paper that was probably cut to size.
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Very cool!
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

A bit of research by someone on the Cinemas & Theatres of Australia FB page yielded this from 1937. So, Ernest A Cook was the guy who did the poster and he worked in Sydney, but I'm no closer to finding out where it was painted for.

Here's an oddity from my collection. It's a hand painted Son Of Frankenstein. I was told it was used in a cinema in the Blue Mountains and painted by the owner(?) because he wasn't able to get posters for it. I don't know if it was just for this title or whether it was a regular thing he did. The signature is Ernest A. Cook. Does anyone have any information on this?dedeposter said:
    A bit of research by someone on the Cinemas & Theatres of Australia FB page yielded this from 1937. So, Ernest A Cook was the guy who did the poster and he worked in Sydney, but I'm no closer to finding out where it was painted for.

My thoughts on the matter.

In late 1954 the Savoy and the Trocadero theatrette in Katoomba, the Liberty in Leura and the Victory in Blackheath were all operating and they were all controlled by Blue Mountains Theatres. I am not sure about the controlling proprietors of the operating cinemas in 1939. which were the Savoy, Empire & the Embassy in Katoomba, the Liberty in Leura and the Victory in Blackheath. 

Son Of Frankenstein was screened at the Embassy theatre in Katoomba in April 1939, but I not sure if it was screened in any other theatres, apart from the Embassy, in the Blue Mountains as well during that period ot time or later on.

Lawrence
    If Ernest A Cook was in Bathurst St in Sydney I don't know whether he would have been producing a poster for a Blue Mountains theatre. It may have been for another Sydney theatre. 
    edited July 16
                                                                                                                                                                                                                           How reliable do you believe is the story source that  told about the origins of the poster? Believe it or not?

One thing that is certain here is that there is no way you will ever know the answer for certain, which is a pity.
    Lawrence
    They were a bit vague as to where it came from but it was a reliable source that I got a stash of other posters of the same vintage from. I don't have any reason to doubt them but they were probably being a bit cagey about revealing their source. I've had it since the 80s and it already looked very old then.

Well wherever it was displayed it is great that the poster managed to survive, and you have something with some mystery surroundinng it, which just happens to look interesting and unique, and the poster is a great talking point,
    Lawrence
    I've managed to find a little more about Ernest A Cook since that first advertisement. A few more ads in the Sydney Morning Herald (via Trove).

Fascinating stuff!

In 1938 he ran an ad wanting to purchase a small printing plant, by 1942 he was advertising 'a small printing plant for hire'

SMH Wed 3 August 1938

SMH Sat 9 May 1942