Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Please remember this is a dealer free zone - no adverts posts by dealers please. Read the rules (under Advertising) here: http://goo.gl/Rk6IMQ or if you would like to advertise, read more here: http://goo.gl/Df4ZIB

$105US postage warning

RickRick Member Posts: 726 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
For any prospective buyers, here’s a word of warning about buying from Vintage Vin Auctions through Invaluable.

I purchased two daybills at auction for a combined cost of $50 and was then confronted with a $105US postage bill. When I saw the invoice I clicked on the link at the bottom to explain that this was a ridiculous cost and I’d be happy with USPS postage which normally costs $25-$30.

I received no response.

After four days on the Invaluable system your credit card is automatically debited, which I didn’t realise. As soon as I saw this I was furious and again notified Invaluable/Vintage Vin. At least they responded this time but only to say the posters had been shipped and there was nothing they could do about the postage cost.

I have never heard of postage costing so much, and to enforce such a fee on a buyer is simply a rip-off and terrible customer service.

They say they are posting `at cost’. I sent other examples of good sellers like emovieposter.com offering various postage options, and various ebay sellers who post from the US to Australia for $25-$30. I’ve received no more responses, which is lousy customer service for an obviously upset customer.

My advice – avoid!

Comments

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,163 admin
    woah!

Highway robbery. Was it sent courier and included insurance?
    David
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    That's cheap compared to the quote I received to ship some daybills from Melbourne to the Gold Coast. The auction house don't send anything themselves but they recommend Pack and Send. I was given a quote of AUD$331.03 to send the posters. It was cheaper to fly to Melbourne and pick them up.
    John

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Oh man that is crazy!

Had a similar experience and now I am really wary bidding on these smaller auction houses.

Hope the posters were worth it!

John, next time let me know...maybe I can pick up and send on for you...I suspect I know who you are talking about :)

• JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Vesna. I'm sure you can guess ;)

At the other end of the scale, I purchased a big lot from Scammels in Adelaide. They packed everything really well and sent the package out quickly for a very reasonable price.
    John

• PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    This is why I don't use Invaluable. They want your Card info up front, so even if you change your mind and don't bid, they would still have your details.  This in my book is all wrong, so I've never used them.
    It's more than a Hobby...
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Most of the auctions have buyers premium of 20% abd VAT of 20%. 
  • RickRick Member Posts: 726 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    i don't think i'll use Invaluable again. The only other time I'm pretty sure the poster was a repro, though it was cheap so not a huge worry.
    I don't know how they have been posted in this case, the company won't respond now. Hopefully they turn up safe but i would not have bid if i had any inkling they would be such a postage ripoff. I didn't realise the credit card system - but i do now!
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 814 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    There are LOTS of auctions that survive on "one-time" buyers (and consignors). After they get ripped off they never buy again, but meanwhile the auction is on to ripping others off. That is why such auctions often take out large ads, because of their endless need for fresh meat.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited December 2016
    Sven said:
    Most of the auctions have buyers premium of 20% abd VAT of 20%. 
    We've just had an Auction over here that was charging 33% + VAT..???  Getting really silly now..   there was also postage from a third party that would also have been added to that. The Lazy Bastards couldn't be arsed to pack and send stuff themselves... 
    It's more than a Hobby...
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,163 admin

John, next time let me know...maybe I can pick up and send on for you...I suspect I know who you are talking about :)

This system is one I can vouch for, Matt once kindly picked up a poster from an auction house and sent it to me.
    David