Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

This Month's Monthly Movie Clip of the errr...month

A Christmas Story (1983)
"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!"
Do NOT click here until December 1st because if you do you will be whomped up the side of your head

Support Our Sponsors:

Lots of old stuff

Visit Moviemem

Now open!

What?! This is absolutely NOT Christmas decorating of the forum...I might actually just like John Lithgow as an actor

Advertise here - click to read how

GWTW re-issue date

2»

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    John said:
    How about this one. Is it absolutely positively  40s release?

There was a U.S. 1947 re-release carrying the above tagline.  A re-release of sorts also happened in Auatralia in 1947. Australian newspaper advertising concentrated on tag lines such as ''At popular prices'' with no mention of ''Everybody wants to see''. In January 1950 there was an official nation wide re-release in Australia with the ''Everybody wants to see'' tagline appearing in various newspaper advertising along with a' 'Silver Anniversary masterpiece'' mention. IMDB incorrectly mentions the Australian re-release as being 2 / 6 / 1950, but countless advertisements date if from starting in  January. I am convinced the above poster is a trimmed Australian 1950 daybill, possibly missing a'' Silver Anniversary'' reference along with the other poster credits.
    Lawrence
  • BruceBruce Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Thanks Lawrence and Bruce. The reason I ask is because I also have that daybill and it is also trimmed in the same way. I wonder why they cut off the bottom section on these posters and if anyone has ever seen a complete version. 
    John

John said:
    Thanks Lawrence and Bruce. The reason I ask is because I also have that daybill and it is also trimmed in the same way. I wonder why they cut off the bottom section on these posters and if anyone has ever seen a complete version. 

It seems strange that two posters were trimmed. I am wondering if MGM had planned to re-release GWTW in 1949, but was delayed until January 1950 and it was decided that the 1949 '' A Metro Goldwyn Mayer Silver Anniversary Picture'' reference had now finished and  decided instead of just removing the wording by covering it up decided to trim the poster? Just a thought and the only reason I can think of. It is possible an original printed 13 x 30 version doesn't exist ? A terrible thought.
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Never had or seen one, but the two copies of the trimmed, are they used?
    Never had or seen one, but the two copies of the trimmed, are they used?I
    If one looks closely it appears that the poster has had exactly one third of the poster removed. The top fold then became the centre fold and had the trimming been done at the printer's the finished product was ready to be eventually despatched to exhibitors, now folded once only. Only a thought.
    Lawrence
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 9,850 admin
    Our resident Luddite, still hasn't quite got it...

David
    Thanks Rick ( and David ). Now if John would be good enough to post a close up of the printer's details appearing on his poster it may help me in some way. You never know.
    Lawrence
    Original print, different printer (not Schey but Hackett)

David
  • RickRick Member Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Thanks John. John's image with the Sydney added at the end otherwise the same. I don't think this helps, but I will investigate the matter a little more.
    Lawrence
  • BruceBruce Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I can't speak for Australia, but in the U.S., posters for current movies were printed at more than one place, so there are often variations in printer information on the bottom of posters, because each printer apparently used a "template" that they dropped the art into, making for these sorts of variations, making both items still "first release".

Technically, one might have been printed before another, but if there is no way to know, then both should be considered first release. This is especially true for major movies! The most extreme example of this I have found is Jaws, where there are now FIVE known variations, all of which are now considered first release.

Here is a page that shows visual examples of the differences at the bottom of each of the five Jaws one-sheets: http://www.emovieposter.com/tips_archive.php?id=427&searchterms=jaws

Is it not likely that in Australia N.F. Schey had one poster printer in Sydney and another somewhere else?

We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

In response to Bruce's comments, there is  little known regarding W R Schey's background history.

Posters have been located over many years with the following information printed on them.

W.Schey Poster Co.

W.F. Schey Pty.Ltd.

William F. Schey Pty.Ltd. Sydney

William F. Schey Pty.Ltd. Poster Coy. Pty.Ltd.

I have found many references to Sydney but to nowhere else. It is possible that perhaps Schey operated in somewhere like Melbourne, Victoria as well as Sydney, but there is nothing to support this.

Lawrence
    edited February 13
    They were also aka 

W. Schey poster Co.
    WILLIAM F. SCHEY POSTER CO PTY LTD

I consulted my Printer of Melbourne reference book and can confirm William F Schey did not operate out of Melbourne.

They were still operating in 1972,  WILLIAM F. SCHEY PTY. LTD., 14 McGIII Street. LEWISHAM, Tel. 560 6166 but, as you can see - no more

Zulu (1964) Australian 3-Sheet (not mine)

As an aside they did produce some of the highly sought after QANTAS posters by Harry Rogers and also some of the NSW travel posters at the same time

David

William F. Schey Pty.Ltd. was the business name registered in New South Wales 18 / 02 / 1954 and was deregistered 19 / 04 / 1993. Also Imagine That Pty.Limited ( formally Graphic World ( Manufacturing ) Pty Ltd, Schery Offset Printing Pty Ltd, William F, Schey Poster Co Pty Ltd was registered in New South Wales 3 / 02 / 1956 and also was deregistered 19 / 04 / 1993.

Schey produced a lot of three sheets in the 1950's and 1960's.

Lawrence