Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Temporary Face Mounting (to stabilize while working on back)

CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,298 admin
I'm experimenting with temporarily face mounting a spare daybill to see the results of using bestine and a little lite scrubbing.  I want to see the impact on the color, whether it removes without taking any ink etc.  My plan if all goes well is to face mount the 10 Commandments and scrub off the remaining adhesive so that it will adhere better once backed.

I nicked up a few spots and slit one of the folds to see how a more delicate poster might hold up.

Untitled

Here it is drying after temporarily face mounted to holytex...

Untitled

More tomorrow...
That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...

Comments

• EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,039 admin
    edited April 2017

I know your using a weaker adhesive, and this is just a test, but my first thought is the overall weakness of the fibers/fold lines/"scrubbed" areas on the Ten Commandments will pull apart when removed from the Hollytex.

Also...

-If you mount Ten Commandments face down prior it's wash/deacid/bleaching, do you have to get the poster wet in order to have it lay flat, and not wrinkled?

-Results will be telling as removal of the poster from the Htex will be somewhat stressful on the paper if done dry...or will you remove it after soaking and then straight to the wash?

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,298 admin
    I'm using full strength wheat paste...
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,298 admin
    edited April 2017
    OK so it was dry and I decided to put it to the test.  But first based on Mark's suggestion of wet versus dry removal, I divided it into halves and repeated on both.

Untitled

I created areas for bestine, hand sanding with 120 grit and machine/mouse sanding with 220 grit.

Untitled

You can see some of the distress here from the mouse sander...

Untitled

I removed the entire poster from the table. You can see some of the edges already popping off the holytex.

Untitled

I cut it in half.

Untitled

Peeled the dry side holytex off.  It cam right off.  There was some wheat paste residue that lightened the poster up (chalky) that I hope to have removed in a later step.

Untitled

Wet removal was even simpler, the water running over the poster removed the holytex.  There was a fine slime on the poster from the wheat paste that I massaged away on both sides.

Untitled

Paper was just as bright as before.  There was some weakening of the NSFC after massaging the paste off. But this would allow me to both chemically and mechanically remove and residue from the back of the poster.  If the residue isn't removed to a certain degree the poster will begin to pop back up in the places the wheat paste can not absorb.

Untitled

I think it just might work...

Wow! Fantastic results! I'm impressed the poster looked so good after removal of the Htex with the wheat paste adhesive!

Some unknowns are clearly out of the way as you move to face-adhere the Ten Commandments.

Have you decided if you will remove wet or dry? I would think wet would be safer and then it can just be washed immediately after.

Also, the unknown will be how effective the removal of residue on the back will be...hopefully leading to less restoration necessary after backing.

The future possibilities for working on the backside of paper prior to wash or after even are endless.

Awesome! :plus_one:

edited April 2017
    I think dry is better because if the poster when wet gives way before the paste then I think that is when the distress happens.  When dry the paste will hold the poster together.  The other thing that I thought about was that for the areas that are more delicate I could tissue mend them on the back before removing the holytex...  That would strengthen them when I pull off the holytex.

sounds like good planning...

are you planning on glueing Ten Commandments face down when the poster is dry? or will you wet/soak the poster, allowing the folds to soften, then roll them out gently so you can sand after dry. 

I would think if you glued the poster down dry, the folds/wrinkles may not lay flat, then more tears would occur when sanding.

I am still debating whether to completely treat the poster and then face mount it or just relax it in water face-mount, remove residue and then do the remainder of the treatment.
    edited April 2017

Wouldn't you need to remove tape/glue residue prior to wash and linenbacking/paperbacking?

I thought the process was...

1) relax poster in water, allow wrinkles/creases/folds to relax, and then face mount.

2) after poster dried, then remove excess remaining tape glue residue from backside.  

3) remove poster from Htex, then wash it when it's backside is clean, tnen deacidfy, bleach, etc...then mount fresh to accept the wheat starch glue to the masa or mulberry.

+ during step 3, you would clean off any remaining wheat paste that was still present on the face from that stage.

Just thinking...

All good thoughts.  This is the second option above.   I'm still thinking it out.