Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Merry Christmas!

The Surf Ballroom - Winter Dance Party February 2nd 1959 - Need help with authenticity

indianaindiana Member Posts: 3 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder

Need help with the following:

'The Surf Ballroom Winter Dance Party February 2nd 1959' ‘PROGRAM’

I understand that some posters were quickly and cheaply printed for the event and are very rare to find, they were also reprinted decades later (Some in different colours) to commemorate the event.

My enquiry is not about the posters, my enquiry is as to whether or not a small amount of hand-held programs were also printed at the same time the original posters were printed back in 1959.

Reason I ask is because I have just found two programs amongst approx 200 which I bid on at auction a couple of days ago in Southampton here in the UK.

Almost all the programs refer to a theatre called The Gaumont, Southampton, UK and are dated around the 1950’s, some are signed/autographed to a gentleman called Ken Shave who might have worked within the industry due to being wished “Good Luck” by some of the artists who played there.

In addition, I have found another program amongst the lot, which highlights a forthcoming visit to the Gaumont Theatre by Buddy Holly and the Crickets on Monday 3rd March (No year showing on the program, but could have been the same year 1959)

I will be researching this but could do with any input anyone could offer.

I am fully aware that the two programs might easily be later reprints; naturally, it would be fantastic if they were original.

Normally I would have wondered if they were authentic myself, but because they were found in amongst a lot of other original programs of the 1950’s, at an auction in Southampton where the Gaumont Theatre exists, and where there’s another program which highlights a visit by Buddy Holly to the Gaumont Theatre the following month, had he lived?. All this gives it a level of possibility.

The programs are made of a thick (Card like) paper which I understand the original posters were made of, so was wondering if they had a few programs printed off at the same time.

Some information on the Internet is contradictory which makes it hard to find the facts so if anyone knows anyone else who has first hand knowledge I would be so immensely grateful for contact info.

Thanks for any constructive input you may be able to offer, and I apologise for the extra photo which I don't know how to remove!

Comments

• BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 916 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Cool items, but I am confused. What are the first three images of? Are they front and back of one piece, and the front of another? Why did you post them if you are only asking about the program?
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • indianaindiana Member Posts: 3 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    I never know what to called certain bit of paper, basically what i have is:

Photo 1) The front view of a closed pamphlet or programme (Call it what you will), not a flyer, as I always think of them as unfolded sheets of paper)

Photo 2) The back page of the same document.

Photo 3) The document once opened showing the inside of both pages.

Photo 4) The front & back of the Gaumont Theatre document

Photo 5) The inside of the Gaumont Theatre document.

I have since identified that the Gaumont Theatre documnet references a visit by Buddy Holly the year before 1958.

Hope the above makes sense!
  • indianaindiana Member Posts: 3 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Hi all,

An update after researching more on Google:

I've spotted what look like CD sleeves and posters in the same colours and style, so almost definitely reprints.

And looking at the photos again Ritchie Valens looks nothing like err Ritchie Valens lol

So i'm not quite sitting on a fortune :bawling:

Ta

• camoro123camoro123 Member Posts: 1 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    In searching for the one I have of the Clear lake Iowa flyer I was directed here. Mines exactly the same. Ican confirm its from the musical stage production of Buddy Holly. Buddy I think they called it. Thats why the photographs look similar but really nothing like them!!