Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

August 2017

Comments

• collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 339 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    edited August 2017
    For those that are interested, this is how the linen backing drama is currently playing out with Dale Anthony. After almost 4 months of ignoring my calls and emails etc. and having turned my poorly linen backed Sound of Music quad into 'mash potatoes' as he put it when attempting to reback it. He's refusing to return any of my posters until I agree to this statement: 

"Hi Wil, Before sending you the posters I just need you to respond to this email.
    In the poster Restoration business there is always an element of risk when dealing with something as fragile as old paper.  That is why, in this business, it is accepted that the restorer is not liable for any damages that may occur during the restoration process.  That is the way it is everywhere in the world"

He's apparently backed a few of my other items to make up for it (god knows how these turned out) and if I agree to this statement before he ships he won't charge me for them.

The advice I've had is that this statement and repeated refusal (due to countless excuses that were all lies) ship my items without this waiver should be classed as blackmail, and after ignoring all my calls since this email and his reluctance to send images prior to me 'agreeing' to this madness, I may have to involve the police.

It's sad I know and possibly an over reaction but the months of continually being fobbed of with excuses why he could not ship my items back and his refusal to let another party reback the poster he damaged at his cost (his statement was "if anyone can do it I can!"), which turned out to be untrue and when it indeed turned to "mashed potato" it was apparently because he uses more glue than other less experienced backers, again not his fault.

He also tells me that he's currently working on a load of posters for an Australian collector and how he doesn't need my business anymore. Be warned ive had nothing but trouble from this guy ever since I was being 'microscopic' and pointed out rushed shoddy work.
    Post edited by collectahollic on
    Wil
    A bit of retail therapy due to my last comment, another fine quad for the Chantrell draw, needless to say this wont be getting backed in NZ!

Wil
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,111 admin
    That's really cool
    David
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,585 admin
    Wonderful Longest Day! Love the image, colors & format! (think I spelled everything correctly....)
    Wonderful Longest Day! Love the image, colors & format! (think I spelled everything correctly....)
    To a 't'  ;)
    David
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,713 admin
    Congrats Wil, the quad is the best poster for this film.
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,085 admin
    Nice!
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
        Matt said:
    Congrats Wil, the quad is the best poster for this film.

Ditto.

Lawrence
    Thanks all, I'd been after a 1st print (with John Wayne's name not moved to the end) for some time. A definite framer! 
    Wil
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

1984 daybill turned up!

Yahooooooooooooooo....except could everyone stop listing all the good stuff all at once!

My wallet has taken a battering this month!

Thought I'd better get the U.S banner (24 x 82) to display with the quad (tommy helmet v's US helmet), I could have got the One Sheet, but that was waaaaay to easy, only this could 'possibly' be a bitch to frame!!!  =)

Wil
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Is it just me having issues seeing some of Wil's pics?
     :s They come up on my screen Ves,  I've been forced to move away from Photobucket, so utilizing free hosting wherever I can find it (imgur & imageupload), if anyone else is having dramas I can try to find another 'freebie'?
    Wil
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,713 admin
    Ok that's a banner 'd like. Nice one Wil!
    Is there one pic or two on Wil's last post about the Longest Day banner? (just trying to work out what I am/am not seeing)
    edited August 2017
    Just one long banner pic Ves, I tried the incorrect link/code first of all and was second time lucky, so just meant to be one pic per post (it follows, Rewi's Las Stand, The Longest Day Quad and Banner). Sorry for the confusion  :s
    Wil
    Matt said:
    Ok that's a banner 'd like. Nice one Wil!
    Thanks Matt, I thought it was a good play on words!
    Wil
    For those that are interested, this is how the linen backing drama is currently playing out with Dale Anthony. After almost 4 months of ignoring my calls and emails etc. and having turned my poorly linen backed Sound of Music quad into 'mash potatoes' as he put it when attempting to reback it. He's refusing to return any of my posters until I agree to this statement: 

"Hi Wil, Before sending you the posters I just need you to respond to this email.
    In the poster Restoration business there is always an element of risk when dealing with something as fragile as old paper.  That is why, in this business, it is accepted that the restorer is not liable for any damages that may occur during the restoration process.  That is the way it is everywhere in the world"

He's apparently backed a few of my other items to make up for it (god knows how these turned out) and if I agree to this statement before he ships he won't charge me for them.

The advice I've had is that this statement and repeated refusal (due to countless excuses that were all lies) ship my items without this waiver should be classed as blackmail, and after ignoring all my calls since this email and his reluctance to send images prior to me 'agreeing' to this madness, I may have to involve the police.

It's sad I know and possibly an over reaction but the months of continually being fobbed of with excuses why he could not ship my items back and his refusal to let another party reback the poster he damaged at his cost (his statement was "if anyone can do it I can!"), which turned out to be untrue and when it indeed turned to "mashed potato" it was apparently because he uses more glue than other less experienced backers, again not his fault.

He also tells me that he's currently working on a load of posters for an Australian collector and how he doesn't need my business anymore. Be warned ive had nothing but trouble from this guy ever since I was being 'microscopic' and pointed out rushed shoddy work.
    I understand he has one good customer...pass it on.
    David

Ok cool...then I am good :)

Congratulations on the banner!

David said:
    I understand he has one good customer...pass it on.
    Unfortunately my 35+ items are still yet to materialize after a flurry of voicemail's and emails, the Police and my lawyer confirmed that he's breaking the law on two counts, including blackmail and that if after they intervene he still refuses to return my property (without agreeing that i accept any damage he's caused 'is the way of the world' and I will not hold him accountable for it) I can then regard it that he intends to retain them permanently, in which case I'll happily invoice him for the two orange Bullitt's, International (kayak/eye) Deliverance, UK Warriors, UK Deer hunter One Sheet's etc. etc. or report them stolen. For all I know hes damaged other items in addition to the 'mash potato' Sound of Music which is possibly why hes after this statement prior to returning everything. 
    Wil
    I've even sent packaging material and a courier ticket (so i can have them all collected from his house/prevent him from using the excuse that he hasn't had time to go to the Post Office etc.). Apparently he 'accidentally' used the packaging for another customer and he can't find my courier ticket or large return address label.... painful! hence the retail therapy!  
    Wil

Far out man.  This worrying.

I am hoping to get a bunch of stuff restored at the end of the year and all these shenanigans (missing posters, crappy work, terrible service) has me very very concerned!

Not sure the distance between you but perhaps it might be worthwhile turning up on his doorstep with the authorities and just get it over and done with?

edited August 2017
    I've left countless emails/voicemail's saying that I'm more than happy to come to his house (I live in the South Island and he the North, however I visit Wellington a lot so not much of a route deviation) and collect in person, he's failed to acknowledge any of them and more than likely having failed to returned literally hundreds of calls/messages over the last 4 months I very much doubt he'll answer the door. I've also asked for images of the damage, they've never materialized!

These guy's have been recommended by a few friends in the States and I definitely intend using them from now on -  https://affichestudio.com/

Wil

These guy's have been recommended by a few friends in the States and I definitely intend using them from now on -  https://affichestudio.com/

Here's the forum's ready reckoner on professional restorers: http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/categories/professional-restorers
    David
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,585 admin
    @Wil, this guy has 35+ posters of yours? Wow! I hope this works out well for you. Certainly sounds like using the legal system may be the only avenue left if you can't pick them up in person. 
  • 110x75110x75 Member Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Another one heading to Charlie's...
    Turkish one sheet for "Brigade Mondaine". Haven't seen the film and know absolutely nothing about it, but the poster uses an image of Isabel Sarli for some reason, so it's good for me. :)
    Thanks to Tob for the inmense help with this one.

• BrudeBrude Member Posts: 265 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Isabel! What a woman!
    Worth conserving for sure!

edited August 2017
    Thought I'd turn my Chantrell/Longest Day collection into an 'evolution of design' style display, from concept to final piece etc. 

So just bought his first design from the Chantrell Archive along with Tom's 13" x 17" still showing a rough draft, along with with a reference shot of the final design pre credits.

As a matter of interest did any of you pick up the teaser quad from Bruce back in April? I'm absolutely gutted I missed it and although a bit battered I'd love to add it to the display!
    Wil