Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

August 2017

Comments

• EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,105 admin
    Nice pieces, Wil. Ive always liked the Longest Day posters. Love my Aussie Daybill for its colors, but the quad is a sweet design. 

Followed the Advance Quad on EMP a while back, but think it left my price range for that piece. It was super nice as it had a very small amt of credits on the btm. 
  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 840 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Nice pieces, Wil. Ive always liked the Longest Day posters.

Followed the Advance Quad on EMP a while back, but think it left my price range for that piece. It was super nice as it had a very small amt of credits on the btm. 
    Thanks, although I was brought up on Quads and love the Chantrell artwork, I'd say the Aussie is my second favourite for this title. The addition of the oranges etc. on the daybill really make the US style artwork pop. Although I always wondered why they never reverted back to the British Tommy Helmet as per the Quad, which would have been much more country appropriate!

I think of the US One Sheets as having a Saul Bass style to them, although definitely not the same league.

I totally missed the Advance/Teaser on EMP! The one bloody thing I've been looking for for ages and I miss it! To be honest I'd have gone a fair bit higher than it went for even though it was it need of some TLC! If ever you hear of who nabbed it give me a shout!  =)
    Wil
  • oldposterhooldposterho Member Posts: 16 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    I did aquite one 'oldie', a bit battered, but nice to have a "100% talkie!"  B)

This is terrific!

This is terrific!
    Thanks, I don't know what release it's from, however the papers certain got some age to it! 
    Wil
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

This is terrific!
    Thanks, I don't know what release it's from, however the papers certain got some age to it! 
    There were two versions of Rewi's Last Stand which were both directed by Rudall Hayward. The first version was a silent film released in 1925 then remade in 1940 as a sound film. The poster above is from the 1940 version. The odd thing here is the wording of 100% Talkie with Maori Music. Talkies had been in for over ten years, so why mention sound? My thinking here is that the producers / distributors didn't want it to be confused with the previous 1925 film. A nice piece of history. and although there are at least three colour posters of this title I like this one better.
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:
    There were two versions of Rewi's Last Stand which were both directed by Rudall Hayward. The first version was a silent film released in 1925 then remade in 1940 as a sound film. The poster above is from the 1940 version. The odd thing here is the wording of 100% Talkie with Maori Music. Talkies had been in for over ten years, so why mention sound? My thinking here is that the producers / distributors didn't want it to be confused with the previous 1925 film. A nice piece of history. and although there are at least three colour posters of this title I like this one better.
    Thanks for the information as always, yes also thought it was strange to mention the 'talkie' part. I may end up getting this restored or at least bleached.
    Wil
    I think I tracked down where the Advance sold on EMP in April ended up. It looks great and the restorer certainly did a good job at a glance, sadly way out of my price range after my little spending spree! http://marqueeposter.com/product/longest-day-1962-uk-quad-2/
    Wil
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Nice to see something a bit different!

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,246 admin
  • 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,147 admin

Ves that's just tops.

Aussie movie???

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Yup!  Believe it or not!  Need to find it now :)
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 265 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    The Roller Derby poster art is by Loopydave, who has tons more art on Deviant Art. - https://loopydave.deviantart.com/

If you have any luck tracking down a source, let us me know. ;)
  • GoldeneyeGoldeneye Member Posts: 45 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Just picked up this bad boy earlier in the month. Just in time for The Monster Squad 30th Anniversary screening to get signed there by three of the Squad members. Andre Gower, Ryan Lambert, and Ashley Bank. I so wanted to be Rudy as a kid growing up.

I thought one of the coolest things I saw was in the opening when he skid his bike to stop a fight in a leather jacket and sunglasses takes a match out and lights it using his penny loafers to smoke a cigarette. Too ahead of its time and panned by critics for the language kids were using and more. Let's just say a box-office flop that gained a loyal following.

httpi1255photobucketcomalbumshh637michael_fett120883686_1434688793233462_1492705508_o_zpsjnilvyfnjpg
    edited August 2017
    Just got this yesterday a Dracula AD 1972 Italian 4 Fogli by Renato Casaro. I am going to get this poster linen-backed and framed in the near future. I know there is a couple of small holes, but those can be easily fixed. Possibly the best poster made for a Christopher Lee Dracula film. The Tom Chantrell Quad for this film does rival this.

I'm also curious if someone can educate me on the proper term to use for the discolaration the red/orange spots that look to possible be caused by a printer at the bottom of the top half of the poster.

Image may contain 1 person text

Image may contain one or more people

Post edited by Goldeneye on
    Brude said:
    The Roller Derby poster art is by Loopydave, who has tons more art on Deviant Art. - https://loopydave.deviantart.com/

If you have any luck tracking down a source, let us me know. ;)

I might have one or three spares here :)
    Goldeneye said:

I'm also curious if someone can educate me on the proper term to use for the discolaration the red/orange spots that look to possible be caused by a printer at the bottom of the top half of the poster.

httpi1255photobucketcomalbumshh637michael_fett1Dracula72Casaro2_zps2n4ujgu3jpgoriginal

I originally thought you meant the aging along the folds, but see you mean something near the bottom...so I'm with david...what spots?
    Goldeneye said:

httpi1255photobucketcomalbumshh637michael_fett1Dracula72Casaro2_zps2n4ujgu3jpgoriginal

I originally thought you meant the aging along the folds, but see you mean something near the bottom...so I'm with david...what spots?
    At the bottom of the top sheet there is clearly a red/orange mark on his cape, a red/orange mark on the villain's face on the bottom of the top sheet,and a little bit of an orange red line near the bottom where the girls are dancing.
    Image may contain 1 person text
    edited August 2017
    Ahhh I think I see it:

You mean this blochy orange above?                                                                                                         [and here]

My educated guess it is possibly due to tape but more than likely acid burning into the print/ink from the (overlapping) poster above. I imagine when the two posters lined up correctly you can't see it? You can see some of it in the fold lines.

David

Oh...just looks like a printing issue that occurred at the time of its printing.

I have examples where the overlapping sections of larger posters don't have the greatest print quality where they meet and over lap...unless you can feel something on the actual poster?

Can you take a close up of just those bits?

I thought the fold lines was just glare/reflection from the rest of the poster???  Shows you what I know!

Yeah the aging or slight discoloration at the fold lines is fine that is common for a poster that age especially with a white background. That easily comes out during the linenback process
    Oh and its a gorgeous poster too btw :)
  • RickRick Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭ Daybiller

I was lucky enough to be passing near emovieposter's headquarters in Missouri last week so could collect my lovely new King Kong (1956) card. After that i walked up the hill to an antique shop and found an Elvis That's the Way It Is half sheet for $25- a nice bargain!
  • HereComesMongoHereComesMongo Member Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited August 2017
    The best 12 of my recent buys....

Light years better than the original US 1S, although the cancer stick is repugnant:

Various and sundry damsels in distress:

Great horror poster, never seen the movie....

Hilarious but politically incorrect:

Pretty good poster but the movie is a comedic masterpiece:

"Classy" is the right adjective:

Great film noir:

Atrocious movie but....

Wonder what this movie is about?

Might have seen this...

Mel S. Hutson
    Charlotte, NC USA
    My reference website: moviepostercollectors.guide
    My Current Poster Collection

Top pick-ups Mel. Anything with Jane Russell is almost always good, and Young Frankenstein, almost can't say that title without smiling, classic.
    David
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,338 admin
    Great stuff guys!
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 265 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited August 2017

Not a recent one, but found it in a drawer, forgotten I had it. Anyway was wondering if Matias had seen it before, most likely yes. If he needs a good pic of it I can send one on...

It's more than a Hobby...
  • 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I had seen it, Paul. Have seen most of her argentinean posters. Thanks for the offer anyway.
    As for the poster, it's a great one for sure. Hardly gets more feminist than that ;)