Skip to content

Certifcate of Authenticity

So I just received a couple of newish one sheets I have had my eye on for a while.

I open the tube and taped to the package was Certificate of Authenticity for each poster.

When did this become a thing for movie posters????

I feel sorry for dealers if this is what they now have to resort to, to make buyers happy!

Comments

• I won't give as I tell them (as all know) it's not worth the paper it's written on... etc etc - although to be fair I rarely get asked.
  • Have you still got the certificates? Can we see a pic of one if you do?

• Yes. Just scanned em in...give me two secs...

• I can only imagine he has had to resort to this because of the countless people who have requested one.

As David pointed out, not really sure why people care...I could certify anything I want, doesn't make it so.

• Cool thanks. Have you or anyone come across any more?
  • Not me.  I never ask, and as I said was surprised to find these in the tube!

On the flip side I've been asked a few times, always said no.  

Never been asked Matt?
  • Yes, once. He wanted to write something up and for me to sign it. I said, so you sell the poster and the next person copies the poster and sells it with the certificate......then my name is mud!

He understood.

• I always refuse. They are a joke.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    I always refuse. They are a joke.
    Intriguing...

I know that you have written a lot about fakes over the years; I would have thought that you'd support some form of proof of authenticity? Isn't EMP's 'buyer warranty' essentially an unwritten COA for each item you sell?

I can't ever see poster faking running rampant, but if I was buying an expensive and rare title - especially something newer like a Pulp Fiction Lucky Strike - then I'd want to know that I had some form of a guarantee on it's originality and / or provenance.

But, as witnessed in autograph authentication, unless you saw it signed, you can never be 100% certain of an item's origin.
  • Matt's comment above is valid.

It's all fine and dandy if everyone involved is honest...but it just takes one fecker.

• The problem with Certificates of Authenticity is there is no way to prove which poster they go to. And who is behind the person who wrote it.

I have seen a zillion Certificates of Authenticity from shady companies. Who is "certifying" the "certifiers"?

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• Maybe you could branch out and do cert's yourself Bruce.

I'm sure you're keen.

Image result for throwing paper gif

• I'll get right on that. I don't have very much to do!

• A guy on eBay selling a reprint poster as an original with a fake elvis signature had a certificate of authenticity, which was just as fake as the poser and signature.