Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Support Our Sponsors:



Be qick to save!

Now open!



Advertise here - click to read how


October 2017

13

Comments

  • HereComesMongoHereComesMongo Member Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Young Racers is great. Since all the artwork is intact it's fine as is. Just IMO of course.
    Mel S. Hutson
    Charlotte, NC USA
    My reference website: moviepostercollectors.guide
    My Current Poster Collection



  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 265 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Rick said:
    Image may contain 1 person textOne more to delete from the want list
    Great Elvis paper, Rick! Congrats!
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member Posts: 569 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Something I have been after for a long time trickled in.  Not seen another:

    Decoy 1946 - Half Sheet (Jean Gillie up there with the baddest of the bad girls!)


    There's a street of lights
    A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 265 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Something I picked up as project. American International seemed to produce a lot of rebellious youth flicks in the 60's. Missing a few pieces of paper but it should be a fun to restore. 

    Looking forward to seeing your resto of this beauty. 
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

    Congrats Chris! 

    Great Young Racers...always fancied that poster.

  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited October 2017
    Bruce said:
    HONDO said:
    Interesting. Thanks Rick. A question for Bruce then. Lobby cards were regularly used in Australia and black and white stills were commonly used also , but do you remember seeing any U.S. half sheets, inserts or any other poster sizes with Australian censorship snipes attached ?
    I think the vast majority of U.S. stuff that was used was lobby cards and that half-sheet is the ONLY U.S. poster I can remember. But on the other hand, that Australian film critic (Bill something) that had a huge collection did have a bunch of half-sheets, but maybe he bought those from the U.S.

    I will shortly introduce a new thread titled '' Information regarding U.S. Printed  poster used, or that appeared to have been used in Australia''. U.S.Half sheets well be covered , along with U.S. printed Internationl style one sheets. 
    Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
  • BruceBruce Member Posts: 727 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    HONDO said:
    Bruce said:
    HONDO said:
    Interesting. Thanks Rick. A question for Bruce then. Lobby cards were regularly used in Australia and black and white stills were commonly used also , but do you remember seeing any U.S. half sheets, inserts or any other poster sizes with Australian censorship snipes attached ?
    I think the vast majority of U.S. stuff that was used was lobby cards and that half-sheet is the ONLY U.S. poster I can remember. But on the other hand, that Australian film critic (Bill something) that had a huge collection did have a bunch of half-sheets, but maybe he bought those from the U.S.

    I will shortly introduce a new thread titled '' Information regarding U.S. Printed  poster used, or that appeared to have been used in Australia''. U.S.Half sheets well be covered , along with U.S. printed Internationl style one sheets. 
    There are a TON of U.S. lobby cards that were used in Australia, with ratings snipes attached.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Bruce said:
    HONDO said:
    Bruce said:
    HONDO said:
    Interesting. Thanks Rick. A question for Bruce then. Lobby cards were regularly used in Australia and black and white stills were commonly used also , but do you remember seeing any U.S. half sheets, inserts or any other poster sizes with Australian censorship snipes attached ?
    I think the vast majority of U.S. stuff that was used was lobby cards and that half-sheet is the ONLY U.S. poster I can remember. But on the other hand, that Australian film critic (Bill something) that had a huge collection did have a bunch of half-sheets, but maybe he bought those from the U.S.

    I will shortly introduce a new thread titled '' Information regarding U.S. Printed  poster used, or that appeared to have been used in Australia''. U.S.Half sheets well be covered , along with U.S. printed Internationl style one sheets. 
    There are a TON of U.S. lobby cards that were used in Australia, with ratings snipes attached.

    Yes, I know this was a common practice to use U.S. lobby cards in Australia, but it is the unusual usage of other U.S, created paper I intend to cover. 
    Lawrence
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 5,985 admin
    I think the fun of EMP is practically over now, just like HA - too many deep pockets to make buying posters from there any fun.  Last two posters I really wanted - I am imagining some trust fund baby just throwing money at posters because they don't know better.  I bid stupid, get in trouble with the wife, money and was simply run over. eBay is the only real place for affluent yet responsible collectors anymore...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Oh bummer...Maybe next time.  Whatcha miss out on?
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 5,985 admin
    I'm not down on Bruce... If anything he has done too good a job for his consignors. I'm just tired of being a loser.

    http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4792311



    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 5,985 admin
    Oh and big thanks to Mel for giving me the heads up on this one to start.  Maybe it is his fault???
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

    Sheesh!  Tough break...and everything is Mel's fault one way or another. ;)

  • HereComesMongoHereComesMongo Member Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ Daybiller

    Sheesh!  Tough break...and everything is Mel's fault one way or another. ;)



    Why not insult with style?  B)
    Mel S. Hutson
    Charlotte, NC USA
    My reference website: moviepostercollectors.guide
    My Current Poster Collection



  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,631 admin

    I hear you Charlie. The last thing I bid on was that Underwater US one sheet which someone else won.....what's his name???

    Oh I remember now......Ves hit the nail on the head.  :p


  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 288 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    The last thing I bid on was that Dirty Harry 'Special' the other day, with the mass of pin holes and the tape stain bleeding through, I thought $200 would have nailed it, I was wrong  :s
    Wil
  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 288 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Not that I'm bagging Bruce either, as over the years I've bagged plenty of bargains!, I'm more envious of the 'deeper pockets' that others are now bringing to the table. 
    Wil
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,382 admin
    I took home that badge a long time ago.....

    Yeah, i do agree as well. Although I haven't pushed as hard on some pieces as others.

    My question though is; I'm big in looking back at prices back to 10 years ago-it does seem like prices in general are going up.....I could be wrong though as I guess there are so many variables that contribute to a price sold for....

    I'll say this though, looking at that piece you bid on Charlie, I would'a thought your bids would have won it!
    Mark
  • BruceBruce Member Posts: 727 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Two sage pieces of advice from someone who has been buying and selling collectibles since before almost all of you were born:

    1) Deep pocket guys tend to get burned out. As excited as they are today, the day may well come they move on to other things. THEN you will get those items!

    2) Wait for the second or third appearance of those real rarities. If you haven't noticed, they sometimes go WAY lower the second or third time (caveat: there are a fair number of items that NEVER come back again; there is one I passed on in 1990 that I am still waiting for!).

    And one last thing. Sometimes when the deep pockets get burned out they consign their entire collection, and you may get to bid again!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HereComesMongoHereComesMongo Member Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited October 2017
    Bruce said:

    And one last thing. Sometimes when the deep pockets get burned out they consign their entire collection, and you may get to bid again!
    Charlie said:
    I think the fun of EMP is practically over now, just like HA - too many deep pockets to make buying posters from there any fun.  Last two posters I really wanted - I am imagining some trust fund baby just throwing money at posters because they don't know better.  I bid stupid, get in trouble with the wife, money and was simply run over. eBay is the only real place for affluent yet responsible collectors anymore...

    *****

    Let me add my two cents here. Not bragging by going into specific $$$, just proving I've got meaningful experience with these three entities.

    I've bought several hundred posters from both EMP and HA since 2009, probably for at least $75K. I got lots of fantastic MPs but I always paid FMV for the best/rare stuff, never a great bargain. Just too many savvy bidders on EMP/HA, not necessarily deep-pocketed ones.

    To raise cash for anticipated enormous medical expenses, I consigned almost all of my Round 1 MPs (1800+) to EMP. EMP sold them for $140K, EXACTLY what I had paid for them PLUS all associated costs (shipping, lbacking, etc.)  Some sold for way more than I paid them - for example I bought a Pulp Fiction "Lucky Strikes" for $400 on Ebay but it sold for $1,550 on EMP - but overall I broke even before EMP consignment fees.

    *****

    I recently paid HA $1800 for a VL personality poster. It had sold in that range before on EMP/HA and the only other copy for sale from a dealer was also in that range, so I did not overpay really.

    Lo and behold 3 weeks later another copy was auctioned on eBay for $600, proving again that the only stellar bargains are on eBay.



    Needless to say I felt like this:




    Mel S. Hutson
    Charlotte, NC USA
    My reference website: moviepostercollectors.guide
    My Current Poster Collection



  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    But you bought a whole set of them, no????
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,062 admin
    Bruce said:
    Two sage pieces of advice from someone who has been buying and selling collectibles since before almost all of you were born:

    1) Deep pocket guys tend to get burned out. As excited as they are today, the day may well come they move on to other things. THEN you will get those items!

    2) Wait for the second or third appearance of those real rarities. If you haven't noticed, they sometimes go WAY lower the second or third time (caveat: there are a fair number of items that NEVER come back again; there is one I passed on in 1990 that I am still waiting for!).

    And one last thing. Sometimes when the deep pockets get burned out they consign their entire collection, and you may get to bid again!

    re #1. Perhaps so, but there is always another to take their place.

    David
  • BruceBruce Member Posts: 727 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    David said:

    re #1. Perhaps so, but there is always another to take their place.

    Yes and no. I have a friend who has been collecting 40 years. He always makes modest bids (not lowball, but at most fair value), and he bids again and again on items he would like to own, until he finally gets one at a price he was happy to pay. Does it take a ton of time and patience? Yes. But he has accumulated a nice collection, and he will profit a lot when his day comes to sell.

    You know all those times you see those posts that say "I forgot to bid and X item sold for peanuts"? You want to be the guy who gets some or many of those!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • RickRick Member Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I know the prices are up on most items, but it's worth watching EMP for bargains. I bid low on an item a while back and got it as a spare. I thought if there was a bargain going I should have it! I've just sold it for more than $100 above the purchase price.
  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 288 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Not exactly a huge purchase, but definitely a surprising find. Colonel Tim McCoy in 'Two Fisted Law' 1932 Lobby card. I've never see this film, but can only assume it was a world apart from Sergio Leone?  B)


    Wil
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 288 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Sven said:
    What a hat! 
    Just what I was thinking, it's funny how the cowboys looked so 'dapper' in those early days of film. 
    Wil
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,382 admin
    Nice lobby, Wil. Looks to be in great shape for its age!
    Mark
Sign In or Register to comment.

This Vintage Movie Poster Forum is powered by some old cinema posters, the flame retardant properties of a Top Gun Daybill, and a
British Quad which has been folded just the right amount of times and shoved under one of the corners to stop the place from wobbling.