Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Pointless re-titling

PanchoPancho Member Posts: 565 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
Hey gang!

I thought a thread about the weird world of re-titling might be fun. Now I get that distributors felt the need, on occasion, to completely change the title of a film from country to county, but what I don't get are the tiny changes that really make no difference at all!

For example:

7k951 WHO SLEW AUNTIE ROO insert 71 mad Shelley Winters say goodnight its dead time 8c967 WHO SLEW AUNTIE ROO Aust daybill 71 mad Shelley Winters say goodnight its dead time 5y101 BEWARE MY BRETHREN 1sh 72 Ann Todd Patrick Magee beauty beware a date with death 2b389 BEWARE MY BRETHREN Aust daybill 72 Ann Todd Patrick Magee beauty beware a date wdeath 
9y072 BEYOND THE DOOR 1sh 74 demonic possession lives the most terrifying event of mankind 8d592 BEYOND THE DOOR Aust daybill 74 demonic possession lives most terrifying event of mankind

Comments

• BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 800 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    You are 100% correct! I can understand giving something a completely new title (usually to disguise a dud), but what you posted makes ZERO sense. It is like putting earrings on a pig. It doesn't make the pig look more attractive (and besides, it makes the pig mad).
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 565 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Had to post this one somewhere and the pointless re-titling thread made sense. Ladies and gentlemen, the rarely seen Australian daybill for 'The Pyx':

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

The Pyx ( 1973 ) original U.S. release. Retitled The Hooker Cult Murders for it's video release.The Phx title was uninspiring in the first place, and Elizabeth Lucy was even worse. It took years to come up with a decent title for the type of film they were promoting.
    Lawrence