linen backing — The Vintage Movie Posters Forum

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Support Our Sponsors:

Be qick to save!

Now open!

Advertise here - click to read how

linen backing

I have a number of linen backed vintage posters that I want to put in a snap frame. If i trim the line backing to within 1mm of the edge of the poster so it will fit, does this change the value on the poster. I have never understood why the linen backing usually overlaps the poster by so much. Anyone with answers I would be most grateful.
Thanks
Simonofengland

Comments

• CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member Posts: 565 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Tough to say - may depend on what the posters are.  The hobby 'standard' is to leave approx 1 inch+ extra.  I have trimmed the extra linen to fit inside frames but if I was considering selling I would think twice about doing it as it seems to be a turn off for some buyers.  

The biggest problem with trimming right to the edge of the poster is that there is no 'buffer' left and must be even more careful handling the poster.
    There's a street of lights
    A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,046 admin
    I've see many a poster with the linen trimmed almost to the edge I don't think it diminished the value of those posters - it simply comes down to how much the buyer wants the poster - but It's certainly preferable to leave it on, as Chris say it make it easier to handle.
    David
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,366 admin
    I have seen linenbacked posters where the "linen" seems to be unraveling or separation of sorts on the edges. If the linen was trimmed to the exact edge or close, i'd worry it would eventually undermine the poster if handled too much. 

I trim mine to one inch. Have told framers to trim as needed to fit. Don't see too much harm if going into a frame. 
    Mark
  • HereComesMongoHereComesMongo Member Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I trim to the poster if necessary, could care less if it affects value and it prob doesn't IMO.....
    Mel S. Hutson
    Charlotte, NC USA
    My reference website: moviepostercollectors.guide
    My Current Poster Collection