Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Who Are These Actresses Quiz ?

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    L.  I can' spell her name.  I'l look up the Ladybird later.
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited March 16
    Bruce said:
    Is I Jean Hagen?

Correct Bruce, and as Jay now also knows, it is Jean Hagen in Side Street ( 1950 ). How can one not think of her great scene stealing performance in Singin' In The Rain ( 1952 ), for which she won the best supporting actress award for, a couple of years later ?
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

J, and I knew this all along, will undoubtedly be a hard one to crack. Some clues then are required. This actress had only a very brief two year career in Hollywood but managed to appear in at two very well regarded films, along with appearing in four film noir films prior to this. She left a promising career in Hollywood for marriage and family. She made nine films in total , with all but the last being for the same studio. 

Lawrence
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 863 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    HONDO said:
    Bruce said:
    Is I Jean Hagen?

Correct Bruce, and as Jay now also knows, it is Jean Hagen in Side Street ( 1950 ). How can one not think of her great scene stealing performance in Singin' In The Rain ( 1952 ), for which she won the best supporting actress award for, a couple of years later ?
    I didn't need your hint because I knew her by her sad eyes, which are very distinctive. She was great in The Asphalt Jungle. And she WAS magnificent in Singin' In The Rain!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    edited March 18
    L. Saoirse Ronan
    Correct Ves. Saoirse Ronan in Atonement ( 2007 ).

Brooklyn ( 2015 ).    

Lady Bird ( 2017 )

How to pronounce her name, as appearing on the Ellen show.

Three academy award nominations and Saoirse is now only 23 years of age. She was first nominated at age 13 for an Oscar in the best supporting actress category for her performance in Atonement. She has since been nominated for a Oscar twice more, and these occasions being in the best actress category for her performances in Brooklyn and then Lady Bird. I have never seen her performance in Atonement, which I must try to track down to see soon, but after I saw her in Brooklyn I was convinced she would go on to bigger and better things. She certainly did that with delivering a brilliant performance in last year's Lady Bird. I marveled again at the great performance she delivered in this film. I am certainly looking forward to the upcoming film Mary Queen Of Scots to be released at the end of the year.With Saorise playing the title role and Margot Robbie playing Queen Elizabeth 1 opposite her. I am thinking another best actress nomination would be a strong possibility, and that's even without the film.
    Lawrence
    Thoroughly enjoyed Brooklyn.  I thought she was fabulous too, and I am looking forward to eventually seeing Ladybird.

J was hard, sorry for that. As most likely nobody is going to answer it, I will reveal the answer to be Peggy Dow. She appeared in Harvey and an excellent, but little known film Bright Victory, playing opposite Arthur Kennedy.  

Harvey. Bright Victory.

Peggy Dow also appeared in four film noir films for Universal-International.
     Undertow.
     Woman In Hiding.
     The Sleeping City.
     Shakedown.

Lawrence
    Egads...i have the Bright Victory one sheet too!

N 

O   P 

Batch four. This lot may test you out, but are all getable.

Lawrence
    P. Kate Beckinsale.

Correct. Kate Beckinsale it is from Cold Comfort Farm ( 1995 ).
    Lawrence

Some clues then for the remaining three unanswered actresses.

M. This actress will always be remembered fondly for her role in one film.

N. Most likely to be remembered for some science fiction films from the 1950's.

O. A bestselling novel.
    Lawrence
    N. Faith Domergue

If its her, I also remember her for this:

See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    edited March 29

Correct Bruce, N is certainly Faith Domergue. A nice publicity image and a scene from This Island Earth ( 1955 ) below.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    Lawrence

HONDO said:

O   

Batch four. This lot may test you out, but are all getable.

Final clues.

M. Canadian actress who climbed the heights.

O. Another Canadian actress who appeared opposite another Canadian actor in the film the image is from.
    Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    O: Kate Nelligan from Eye of the Needle - 1981
    I've been out of circulation this week.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 

jayn_j said:
    O: Kate Nelligan from Eye of the Needle - 1981
    I've been out of circulation this week.
    Correct Jay. For the record Donald Sutherland was her co-star in this film.
    Lawrence
    M. Fay Wray
    Bruce said:
    M. Fay Wray

Correct and good work Bruce.

The film the image is from is The Four Feathers ( 1929 ), in which she starred alongside Richard Arlen.                                                                          

Fay Wray''s most famous role of course was in King Kong ( 1933)

Lawrence

Backtracking to the earlier solved image C. I had known when I posted the image it was of course a studio publicity shot taken of Hazel Court. At the time though I hadn't checked out the origins of the image, but I have since found the photograph was taken for the British 1947 film Holiday Camp.
    Lawrence
    edited April 3
     Q                                                                                                  R 

Q is as easy a question that you probably will ever be asked to answer, and R one of the most difficult. See how we go here.
    Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    agree that first one is easy, so I will give others a chance.
    No clue on second one.  Did an image search and found it, but even then I've never heard of the film or the actress.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    jayn_j said:
    agree that first one is easy, so I will give others a chance.
    No clue on second one.  Did an image search and found it, but even then I've never heard of the film or the actress.
    What Jay said...
     T

A well known actress in the 1950's and 1960's and a Warner Brothers contract player in the 1930's. 
    Lawrence

Final clues for the last two.

S. Abba.

T. Actress had something in common with Lola Lane and Jane Wyman.

Lawrence
    Too hard for me.  S does look very familiar but I can't place her!
    I don't understand the clue, but T looks like Glenda Farrell
    Bruce said:
    I don't understand the clue, but T looks like Glenda Farrell
    Correct Bruce and well spotted. Glenda Farrell from a scene from I Am A Fugitive from A Chain Gang ( 1932 ).

My clue of '' Actress had something in common with Lola Lane and Jane Wyman'' refers to the fact that each of the three actresses played the same role of Torchy Blane in a series of  9 Warner Bros. films in the late 1930's. Glenda played the role 7 times, with Lola Lane and Jane Wyman each playing the character once.

Lawrence