Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

RIP Milos Forman

BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 863 ✭✭✭ Daybiller

RIP Milos Forman 

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is one of the only movies where I felt the director made the great source novel even greater.

Can you think of other GREAT books where the movie is as good or better than the book?

We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Comments

• EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,042 admin
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 863 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Excellent choice, Mark! And some might add Pierre Boulle's Planet of the Apes.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Well, I always thought Altman turned a lightweight book of M*A*S*H into a great movie.  Unfortunately, it got somewhat ruined by Alda doing the whole preachy thing with the TV show.

But back to Foreman.  I guess I am in the minority, but I thought he did masterful work on Hair as well.  The play was dated by the time he did the movie, but I always felt he turned the movie into something more of a tribute to the period.  A very nice job of blending a history of the period with the original music.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    jayn_j said:
    Well, I always thought Altman turned a lightweight book of M*A*S*H into a great movie.  Unfortunately, it got somewhat ruined by Alda doing the whole preachy thing with the TV show.
    "Preachy"??!! That's putting it mildly.... =)
    jayn_j said:
     I guess I am in the minority, but I thought he did masterful work on Hair as well.  The play was dated by the time he did the movie, but I always felt he turned the movie into something more of a tribute to the period.  A very nice job of blending a history of the period with the original music.
    I LOVED Hair. The songs were great in the show, but he managed to bring them together into a coherent story line that was poignant and (as you say) completely paid tribute to the time it was set in (but here, only old codgers like me and you lived through that time, so we understand that far better than the young whippersnappers)!
    jayn_j said:
    Well, I always thought Altman turned a lightweight book of M*A*S*H into a great movie. 
    True, but my question was, what GREAT books became as good or better movies. I think few would argue MASH was a great book. And while some might argue, I feel Altman absolutely WAS a great director.
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Bruce said:
    jayn_j said:
    Well, I always thought Altman turned a lightweight book of M*A*S*H into a great movie. 
    True, but my question was, what GREAT books became as good or better movies. I think few would argue MASH was a great book. And while some might argue, I feel Altman absolutely WAS a great director.
    Understand, but I couldn't think of much.  I can think of examples where a good film was made from a great book, but by necessity a lot needs to be cut in order to fit the time slot.

A recent example in my mind was The Martian.  It was a good and entertaining film.  Visually and auditory breathtaking, but I made the mistake of reading the book first.  I spent most of the film noticing how all the technical detail of Damon's survival needed to be cut.

IMO, the best adaptions come from short stories.  There is generally about enough material to turn into a 90 minute film.    An example that comes to mind is Steven King's The Body, which became the film Stand By Me.  Both were excellent and the story was short enough to allow the film freedom to find its own voice.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Oh no.  Cuckoo's Nest is such a great movie.  Recently saw a documentary where they went over how Forman came to replace another director...I forget who now.  Can only imagine what it would have been like without it.  Thankfully we don't have to.

As for books and movies, I'll throw in The Godfather...though I know many people don't like the book.
    I have a 1890 copy of Ben Hur- have read it twice. Wonderful story and while the novel has so much more detail and story than the movie, I really like the 1959 Chuck Heston version. 
    Ben Hur is also one of those rare cases where each remake was better than its predecessor
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    How about Wizard of Oz?  Great book and Movie, although movie was necessarily abridged.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    Really good examples, Mark and Jay. And Ves, I completely agree on The Godfather. It was a good book, but Coppola got TWO great movies out of it.
    Ok. One more. Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. 

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Doh!  How could I forget that one!  Good one Mark.  Book was brilliant, and film equally so!
    Yeah, I saw a 12 O'Clock High HS and it reminded me of Peck's greatest role! (IMO).

I'm not a particular fan of Peck, but he was just wonderful as Atticus Finch!