Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

GST via ebay kicks in

theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
edited July 1 in Just A Little Bit Random
My first purchase on ebay since the GST take kicked in...listed separately when you check out...

Will be interesting to see how it affects the smaller sellers now.
Not that ebay give a shite...

Comments

• RickRick Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    i complained to my local MP about how this affects collectors but got a pro forma letter in response, basically ignoring my concerns. 
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,250 admin
    Rick said:
    i complained to my local MP about how this affects collectors but got a pro forma letter in response, basically ignoring my concerns. 
    As a collector can also be a reseller ergo a dealer, how would you define who is who?
    David
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    I would think a dealer is someone who's primary income comes from selling...someone who sells to fund their personal collection is a collector/hobbyist in my mind...
  • RickRick Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    And as previously agreed...Rick is a hoarder  =)
    I would think a dealer is someone who's primary income comes from selling...someone who sells to fund their personal collection is a collector/hobbyist in my mind...
    On that basis I am not a dealer.

The problem with GST is it is not a level playing field, if it is applied to all monetary transactions then it is fair for all. If you start picking and choosing then you end up with a Tampon tax.
    David
    David said:
    On that basis I am not a dealer.

The problem with GST is it is not a level playing field, if it is applied to all monetary transactions then it is fair for all. If you start picking and choosing then you end up with a Tampon tax.
    Don't get me started....
    Yup...real stupid.

So Rick wants collectors exempt from paying GST, then it's probably fair that people who buy medical supplies and health supplements on eBay should be exempt, because it is not for fun it is for health and healthy is good for society...and so on.

Besides, how many times does a "collector" swoop in on an unsuspecting seller who has listed an item not knowing what it is worth and then that "collector" buys it and simply flips it for profit...that is a business. I am not criticising the buyer for doing that, but 9 times out of 10 the purchase is made with the sole intent of making a quick buck not some altruistic notion that they will be able to afford the Pretty Woman 1SH they've had their eye on for a while...

It's too hard to pick and choose who to exempt and who to not, because as sure as eggs don't bounce someone will find a way to exploit the exemption and then how is it fair?
    David