Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Merry Christmas!

Were Australian one-sheets or daybills displayed at Australian theaters when you were growing up?

BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 920 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
Something I have wondered about for the native Australians here:

When I grew up in New York in the 1960s, there were all sorts of posters and lobby cards, but my two local theaters only used one-sheets. How about your Australian theaters?

Were Australian one-sheets or daybills displayed at Australian theaters when you were growing up or were both displayed?

We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    In Newcastle, the second largest city in N.S.W., the five city cinemas and the huge Century Theatre at Broadmeadow, a very close to the city suburb, where I mainly attended I remember large displays of lobby cards were in the majority where it came to display material. I suppose after that one sheets, with little in the way of daybill displays. Some other suburban cinema that I also sometimes attended were more into displaying daybills, with some one sheets.
    Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    We only had a local drive-in and my memory from the 60s-70s was daybills. I kept a few at the time but no on-sheets
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 920 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    HONDO said:
    In Newcastle, the second largest city in N.S.W., the five city cinemas and the huge Century Theatre at Broadmeadow, a very close to the city suburb, where I mainly attended I remember large displays of lobby cards were in the majority where it came to display material. I suppose after that one sheets, with little in the way of daybill displays. Some other suburban cinema that I also sometimes attended were more into displaying daybills, with some one sheets.
    Thanks! Were the lobby cards Australian, U.S., or both?
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    Bruce said:
    HONDO said:
    Thanks! Were the lobby cards Australian, U.S., or both?
    Mainly U.S. lobby cards ( some 8 x 10's as well ) for American films and American financed British films and British lobby cards and FOH cards for British films released by U.K. distributors such as Rank. Australian lobby cards were usually only printed in cases of where the Australian distributors were different from the U.S. or the U.K. distributor, and also where the titles were for Australian made films. This is why you have so few Australian lobby cards listed in your auction history section. 
    For Bruce - Talking about lobby cards,  I am sure that you are the person to know the answer to question #22 in my screening Venues quiz.
    Lawrence
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 920 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I took a guess on #22. Be kind if I am completely wrong!

Bruce said:
    I took a guess on #22. Be kind if I am completely wrong!

Thanks for having a go. An American film and the same decade of release.
    Lawrence
    Some massive amounts ( for normal cinemas that is )  of cinema poster advertising for one Australian cinema during the 1940's I intend to post sometime soon on ''Hondo's This And That'' thread. I won't duplicate it all here so keep you eye out for it on the other thread shortly. 
    Lawrence
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,164 admin
    I saw a couple of advertising pieces the other day I walked by my local theater....