Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

My fave find!

2»

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    What I find interesting is that the theatre opened in 1933, and all the posters we have seen posted by you are from circa 1933. I am loving all the images so far posted, so if you have more and have time would love to see them. The Goodbye Again image is the earliest daybill I have seen with a ''Not suitable for general exhibition'' censorship rating appearing on a daybill poster. All the other examples you have posted are typical of this period and show no censorship at all on the posters. A beautiful theatre and I commend you for what you have done and continue to do in attempting to restore it to it's former glory.

Lawrence
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,037 admin
    Yes. Posters have great colors amd artwork! Theatre is grand. Not what I was expecting!

Restoration is doable.   It depends what you wnt them to look like...seen worse brought back to life.  You have several bits which I'm sure can be put back into complete posters.

Value is hard as you'd have to sink a fair amount of coin into then...
    Agree.

Several good restoration places here in states, and Dario up in Canada. Photos sent to get quotes will give an idea for cost. 
  • 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Who is the Babic Australian Cinema? Australian Film and Sound Archive??

That would be the absolutely amazing and comprehensive Vesna's collection of australian cinema memorabilia. She's probably too shy to say it, but the collection kicks some serious arse.

PS: the theater looks glorious!
    110x75 said:
    Who is the Babic Australian Cinema? Australian Film and Sound Archive??

That would be the absolutely amazing and comprehensive Vesna's collection of australian cinema memorabilia. She's probably too shy to say it, but the collection kicks some serious arse.

Indeed! The Abbott & Costello paper alone is amazing!
  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited August 19
    joyonthego said:

This is the inside of our theatre after a previous renovation, which we are continuing.
    Absolutely stunning, definately worth continuing. Great job guys and loving W.Matilda!!! I thought Ves's second born would be on the table for one of those ;) 
    Wil
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Congratulations! This is an extremely significant collection of posters, even based on what we have just seen here. Looks like there are some uncut sheets which are of great interest. Restoration will be a challenge and very expensive but they are great to see "as is".
    John

• BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    HONDO said:
    What I find interesting is that the theatre opened in 1933, and all the posters we have seen posted by you are from circa 1933.

Interesting, but not surprising (and I did not say YOU were surprised, Lawrence!).

Posters were used for insulation between walls and floors, and that would have been done when the theater was built. That is why finds of this kind are almost always from one or two years. The builders went to the local theaters and likely asked them to save up their used posters.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Definitely think displaying some 'as found' would be make for a great focal point in the new theatre and for those you intend restoring (either in the States or by Dario in Canada) if it were me I'd be packing them in a protective case and delivering/collecting them by hand (it'd be a travesty if they ever went AWOL in the postal system!!) as there are plenty of cheap flights these days.

The restorer may even let you attend some of the restoration process (separation/washing etc.) which I imagine would be wonderful to see.
    Wil
  • RickRick Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    wow, some exciting finds here and I'm like Vesna when it comes to Waltzing Matilda
    Definitely think displaying some 'as found' would be make for a great focal point in the new theatre and for those you intend restoring (either in the States or by Dario in Canada) if it were me I'd be packing them in a protective case and delivering/collecting them by hand (it'd be a travesty if they ever went AWOL in the postal system!!) as there are plenty of cheap flights these days.

The restorer may even let you attend some of the restoration process (separation/washing etc.) which I imagine would be wonderful to see.

Waltzing Matilda already displayed it appears in the cinema, Also in the only sized image I could come up with, The Squeaker  from 1937 and another unidentified poster. A question to Joy then. Was The Squeaker not perhaps from the renovating''find"'?
    Lawrence
  • joyonthegojoyonthego Member Posts: 12 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Hi Lawrence,

No The Squeaker wasn't part of my find. Previous owner, Alex, framed all of those and he had some other posters as well. Don't know where they came from. He's back in Zimbabwe now and difficult to contact.
  • joyonthegojoyonthego Member Posts: 12 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    I'm surprised at all the interest in Waltzing Matilda. Although I hadn't found much evidence of that movies' posters on the internet I didn't realise they were so coveted. I love them even more because they have the date and movie theatre on them. Since our theatre opened on October 28, 1933 we are pretty sure they played this movie on their first Anzac Day. How cool is that. Hoping to do that next year, 85 years after it first played here.

Hi Lawrence,

No The Squeaker wasn't part of my find. Previous owner, Alex, framed all of those and he had some other posters as well. Don't know where they came from. He's back in Zimbabwe now and difficult to contact.

Thanks for that. Are the three framed posters still in the cinema, and what is the condition of the Waltzing Matilda poster, and what is the title of the poster furthest up the stairs? 

Lawrence
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Third poster is Fugitives For A Night
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    By the way for anyone interested Joy has a nice little website for the Paragon Theatre in question - https://www.theparagon.com.au/

Hope she won't mind me posting it :)
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Who is the Babic Australian Cinema? Australian Film and Sound Archive?? I know they have a copy of the film which I would love to play next Anzac Day which would be 85 years since it screened at our theatre.
    This is the inside of our theatre after a previous renovation, which we are continuing.
    Gorgeous!  Thanks for sharing.  

You should get in touch with the NFSA.  Not sure if they loan out but worth a try for the film!  I'm sure they would be keen on a poster too if they don't have one...

Good luck with the restoration.  We need more of these places saved.  If you aren't already you should join the CATHS group...
    Third poster is Fugitives For A Night

Thanks Chris and how about the one above it then ?
    Lawrence