Skip to content

The Proud and Profane

Hello, I acquired this poster today and was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on what it was used for and possible guess on value? Condition is very good to excellent. Demensions are
24” 1/8 x 82” 3/8. I have attached a photo of the ink stamp on the bottom left hand corner, and a couple photos of the numbers and title on the left and right side of the poster. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, 

Comments

• It’s a banner which although not as common as a one sheet can be sourced.  Matt has a few and I have a couple.  I’m not familiar with the title but less than $100 probably.
  • Good thing about banners is that they are fairly cheap due to their size. Like three sheets. It's costly to frame them and they take up a fair bit of wall space. Charlie's right $100  2 top name stars but the film is not a well known title.
  • Ok thank you
  • These were used almost exclusively at drive-ins in the U.S. starting in the very late 1940s.

Most drive-ins had a concession stand that had an area good for displaying these that regular theaters did not, which is why, when drive-ins started dying in the early 1960s. this size started disappearing. That is why you see first release ones for 1950s titles, and re-releases on 1940s titles.

Almost all of the known ones come from a huge find of thousands that were made by a California memorabilia store in the 1970s or so, but they are generally much more rare than other sizes.

I have auctioned a number of these. Here is a link to many of them: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/search/paper%2520banner/sort/5/archive.html

Anyone else here old enough to remember going to drive-ins in the 1950s? =)

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Thank you so much Bruce for your insight into this poster. I do remember seeing starwars day 1 in the back of a beat up ol station wagon and throwing up everywhere half way thru and sticking it out, literally! Thanks again. 

Any idea at auction on a piece like this? I haven’t a clue 
  • edited August 2018
    Bruce, I am waiting for registration approval from the site you told me to look at. I know you can’t see condition, but ball park if you can. Also, I know that it’s not a big movie so that effects it. I am researching trying to learn more about the collecting posters. I am getting a ton of movie posters from a local theater that gives me permision to look thru and take all that I want in there poster storage room, which is a good start for a newbie like me Bruce. Appreciate your help
  • outlaw said:
    Bruce, I am waiting for registration approval from the site you told me to look at. I know you can’t see condition, but ball park if you can. Also, I know that it’s not a big movie so that effects it. I am researching trying to learn more about the collecting posters. I am getting a ton of movie posters from a local theater that gives me permision to look thru and take all that I want in there poster storage room, which is a good start for a newbie like me Bruce. Appreciate your help
    That is great getting access to the movie theatre storage room. Any idea as to how far back the posters go?
  • Haven’t got that far into yet. Hopefully I will soon and I will post. Thanks
  • outlaw said:
    I assume you have long been approved. Use the prices for similar paper banners to make an educated guess as to what yours might sell for. That's all anyone can do with a very rare poster like this one!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Ok thanks so much