Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Sorcerer (1977) Style B One-Sheet?

chucktatumchucktatum Member Posts: 3 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
Hi there,

I recently ordered a folded "original one-sheet" of William Friedkin's "Sorcerer" from eBay and this is what it looks like (not the exact one I have; I found this image off emovieposter): 

I took this to an experienced poster dealer to get his thoughts. He said it looks sketchy to him, that it could be a reprint or a pirated version because there's a) so much white space at the bottom, b) missing an NSS tag, c) no NSS number, d) the color and size of the title is different than the more popular one-sheet (with red lettering for the title). 

I did some further research (mostly on emovieposter) and found this version labeled by some sellers as the "Style B." Some copies have a "Style B" printed at the bottom (like the photo above) and some don't. Mine does not. But mine does have a very small GAU logo at the bottom and its printing looks sharp. 

In short, based on this information, I'd like to know if what I've got is truly an original poster. I figured "Sorcerer" wasn't popular upon release and therefore wouldn't be a title that would be reprinted/bootlegged but, hey, I'm still relatively new to collecting vintage posters. I just want to make sure I'm getting originals. 

So a few more questions:
--Does the absence of the "Style B" text at the bottom indicate that mine is a later reprint or a bootleg? 
--If what I have is indeed a legit original - do you know if it's more or less valuable than the "Style A" with the red lettering for the title? 

My sincere thanks! Any help is appreciated. 

Jeff

Comments

• MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,217 admin
    Certainly looks original and like you said it's unlikely to be a bootleg.

Interesting article I found in Cinemaretro about Friedkin annoyed about the DVD release

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php/archives/8033-FRIEDKIN-RESPONDS-TO-BOTCHED-SORCERER-DVD-RELEASE.html
  • LAMPLAMP Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Hi chucktatum,
    It looks like they were experimenting a little with this release. We have 5 versions on file - 1 - an NSS version with NSS # and title on the bottom right, NSS tag in center with litho tag and GAU centered above it;
    2 - a studio version with title on the bottom right (no NSS info), litho tag and GAU in the center. These 2 version had extra space in black at the top.
    3 - the B style that you have shown with less black at the top and more white space at the bottom.
    4 - the B style that you show with additional independent printing in it. 
    5 - a all writing version explaining the subtitles used in the opening.

I have attached the B style with the theater print as that seemed to be something they were trying