Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Is the Movie Poster hobby expanding, contracting or Staying the same

smusssmuss Member Posts: 12 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
I have been collecting for only 5-6 years so my knowledge of the hobby is limited.  When I look at price comparisons for many older poster< 60's I don't see much price appreciation, and frequently I see price depreciation.  I see this a lot with the old westerns.  Those of course may be due to PC (guns, and native American portrayals).  Do you long time collectors see an increase in number and activity of movie poster collectors?

Best Answer

Answers

• CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I would say these are two separate issues.  Many long time collectors do not collect for price appreciation (i.e. for investment) but simply for the love of paper/art/movies/having a hobby/or as a social avenue etc.

That said, there certainly seems to be a generational turnover in what titles are in-demand.  Many Westerns on the downswing while 70s/80s on the upswing.  But then supply + demand also factors in.

The hobby does seem to be expanding in terms of # of collectors -albeit slowly - and what they collect is also changing over time as well.    
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• smusssmuss Member Posts: 12 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Thanks,What your saying makes sense.  I am watching and buying more 80's stuff because that is what I grew up with, plus its usually more affordable.  The reason I considered the price appreciation is because that is usually a good indicator of demand.
  • MarkMark Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    This is my basic formula:
    25 years from release becomes collectible / gains nostalgia.
    25 years later, demand tapers off. Obviously this is a generational influence.
    No one can predict the future, but personally, I wouldn't recommend movie posters as an investment. Especially if you are buying one at a time via the internet. Much better to treat as a hobby.
  • rockabilly777rockabilly777 Member, The Framer Posts: 462 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    While I think the best barometer of the question in general would be Bruce, my $0.02 is that prices on the material I look for (pre-60's cars, women, misguided youth, etc) have stayed pretty much the same since I've been collecting (+/- 30 years). I grew up during the 70's and 80's, but I have no interest in collecting posters for those movies.