Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Framer Swap Stories

CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,552 admin
I keep thinking I want to take some things to the framer.  Wasn’t there a story of a framer that copied a Marilyn Monroe poster and framed it while keeping the original.  
That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...

Comments

• SvenSven Member Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Good god! For thr last three framing jobs (and moving forward), i provide the measurements and requirements to the framer and i insert / hinge the artwork myself . It wasnt because i thought they would swap it with a copy (now another reason i will do it myself) but i like to himge in a certain way and know whats inside the frame. I have one travel poster framed by the framer and they needed to trim the linenborder. I often wonder how good the job was, did they trim the poster...yikes! Will find out one day...anyway just a bit of paper!
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I have heard so many stories about bad framing over the years. The most common is that the framer glues the poster down to a backing board despite being specifically told not to. I was offered a collection last year of high end framed daybills. I asked the owner to remove the posters from the frames and she was horrified to find out that they had been glued to board despite having been assured that they would only be lightly hinged.

Secondly, some framers use non acid free materials, again despite being told not to, and the poster deteriorates in the frame over time. I have also heard of framers substituting originals with copies but even more worrying than that are stories of linen backers keeping the original and "recreating" the poster for the customer. 
    John

• MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,393 admin
    Did the linen backer get caught out and face charges?
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Matt said:
    Did the linen backer get caught out and face charges?
    There has been more than one linen backer accused of this but others can comment on that. 

John