Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

April 2019

CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,577 admin
I've got nothing going except vinyl (picked up a Blondie lot) and nude photo books...  What did you get? 
That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...

Comments

• 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I got nothing yet. And you can't get away with saying you got nude photo books without posting pics...
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,577 admin
    edited April 6
    I picked up this Mel Ramos Print...  When the nudie books get in, I’ll snaps some pics.

Post edited by Charlie on
  • rockabilly777rockabilly777 Member Posts: 431 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    I've never heard of Mel Ramos (I don't get out much), but I love the style of the artwork. I like the style of this print better than most of the other works I saw online during an admittedly quick search. Very nice, Charlie.

In an effort to get back into the swing of things and get caught up, I'll lay a few more on you this lazy Sunday afternoon. First off, a German poster for another film I'm likely never to see. I like the sepia/40's look of the photo, It's a fine addition to my chicks with cigarettes sub-collection, and who doesn't like a good love story?

aimee amp jaguar german

Still trying to figure out how to manage the size of my wordpress stored pics. So far I still have no idea how to post smaller ones. Argh. Anyhow, carrying on, I have this one in half sheet format, but I have many "femmes with questionable life choices" posters in insert form, so I got this for when those posters go up on the walls:

born to be loved insert

Next up, this was just an inexpensive Italian 2-foglio BIN I stumbled across while perusing ebay one day. I really liked the in your face look of it, and despite it not really fitting in with my cars n' chicks stuff, it became mine.  :)

a colpo sicuro italian

And lastly for now, a big one for me. This was an ebay purchase, but not listed in the movie memorabilia category, and also listed as 13"x34" and they didn't know if it was original or not. I had them recheck the measurements and I also asked for a photo of the back of the poster. As it turns out, it was gen-u-ine (and 14x36), and I was able to make it mine. Another big one checked off the list. Sorry about the poor seller's pic, but I'll post a better one in my framed stuff thread.

hot rod girl insert

That's all I'll lay on you at the moment. I'll leave time for someone else to post stuff before I continue.

B)  B)
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Great pick ups Rock! Love hot rod girl!!
  • 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Charlie said:
    I picked up this Mel Ramos Print...  When the nudie books get in, I’ll snaps some pics.

Love it!
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,353 admin
    Sven said:
    Great pick ups Rock! Love hot rod girl!!
    Agreed!! Very nice design on the insert shape!
  • StudioBizioStudioBizio Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    edited April 9
    Hi Apologies if I am transgressing a forum rule here but  I came across this forum whilst I was researching a pile of French posters my wife has come across, she wants to use them for an arts project but I am not keen for her to use posters that are rare, she is quite prolific just now and we are talking a potential poster massacre if she is left to her own devices.

Can someone give me a steer?  

This one is for a three musketeers film called  "l'epee de d'artagnan" (which is the only version of this poster I can find on the internet) but her version is exactly the same but has the title "La tour de la legende" which I can't find anywhere.

Here it is . https://www.flickr.com/gp/andersedin/88P05w its pretty big as you can tell from my normal size feet at the bottom.

Thanks 
    Andrew
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Hi Andrew - it appears to be a later French re-release of "Knights of the Queen"
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

All the above French film posters appear to be stock posters. There was an Italian television series produced in 1954 tiled I Tre Moschettieri ( The Three Musketeers ). At least five theatrical versions were edited from this series for European theatrical release in the 1950's. There may also possibly be at least one other poster that hasn't been located. It appears that in France a stock poster was produced with individual film titles added for each film released in France.

Hope this helps Andrew.
    Lawrence
    Alright, alright! Since y'all won't leave me alone about it, I'll post a handful more (and yes, that was hooey. no one asked  ;)  ). Anyhow, on with the show. First off, a bit of Esther Williams, with a Yugoslav Bathing Beauty. It's a bit rough, but aside from the center fold issue, it should frame up fine:

bathing beauty yugoslavian

This one was an inexpensive BIN pressbook. I liked the sexploitation-y look of it, but there's actually boobies on the inside. Egads. 

blackmailed wives pressbook

A little noir-ish half sheet to add to the mix:

crime wave half sheet

And lastly, this one is a bit of an oddity. There were quite a few photos as part of the listing for this, but I kind of still didn't know what I was getting until it arrived. What it amounts to, or looks like, is an enlarged version of an ad mat or something like it. I'd be surprised if this was produced as a poster, but this is mounted on thick cardboard, but not corrugated cardboard. It's cut out, just like it looks, and measures roughly 24"x36". I sent out a help request to our awesome, all things poster, but especially exploitation/sexploitation expert, oldposterho, to see when this might have been from date-wise, and here's what he turned up:

"According to historical newspapers this combo ran from '41 through '49, and then again in '53, so dating it in that span is almost a sure thing.  The Art of Love is a re-titling of 1934's L'or dans la rue, which ties in nicely with the second feature if some sleazy producer, in this case, Al Bezel from Chicago, picked up a couple of films at once for re-distribution."

Both movies were originally from '34, but I suspected this wasn't from any kind of original release, especially with them both together. It proved a wee bit of a challenge to frame, but I'll post that pick in the proper thread. So thanks again, Peter, for the very helpful info.
    art of love - bedroom diplomat

So I'll let that be it for now, but I'll prolly be posting some more tomorrow.  B)  B)

As threatened, er, promised, another grab bag of poster excitement from the rolling hills of east Tennessee on this overcast, lazy Saturday morning (your hours/location/day may vary  :) ). First off, a little sauciness from the mid 40's. Wikipedia had this to say about alternate titles/rereleases: "The film is also known as Desirable LadyFlaming GirlsHollywood NightsNot Enough ClothesReckless YouthRoom for Love, and Strips and Blondes as American reissue titles." - which I found pretty amusing. Just by the titles alone, I'd like to have the posters for the rest of 'em.

fig leaf for eve 1 sheet

Although not dated, I suspect by the appearance of it that this is a poster for a rerelease of this 1938 gem of a crime film:

girls on probation 1 sheet B

Yep, as you can see above and below here, I'm still lazy enough to be using crappy seller's photos. However, with this one, you've already seen a better picture of it framed and hanging on the wall. It is a recent acquisition though, so officially, here it is. It's condition-challenged to be sure, but it'll serve it's purpose until I get a better copy someday:

rock all night 1 sheet

Next up, since I've had zero luck winning auctions for this title, a pressbook will do just fine for now. This one is already framed up and ready for the wall:

rock around the clock pressbook

And so you don't end up completely bored to tears, I'll make this one the last for now. There's still more to post though. I have this title as an insert, but I ran across the 1 sheet as a cheap-ish BIN, and always thought the title would go well with the hot rod-y posters:

speed to spare 1 sheet

B)  B)
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,577 admin
     Nice!  You’ve been busy...
    Movie posters. A way to compensate for not having an actual life. Ugh.
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,423 admin
    Rockin the house and the month! Way to go Matt!
    Rock all Night and Speed To Spare...yeah baby!!
  • RickRick Member Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Nice Aussie one-sheet for a western classic

Image may contain 4 people text
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Nice stuff Rock!
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

Great film and nice pickup Rick!
    Allrighty, since your collective heart rates have eased back a bit since my last batch-o-posters, it's probably safe to lay another handful on ya. It's a mixed bag this time for sure. First up, this seemed appropriate to display in these here Tennessee hills and hollers:

tennessee jamboree 1 sheet

Next up, this is window card sized, but printed on regular poster-ish paper:

three forbidden stories window card

You've already seen this in another thread, but for the sake of recent acquisitions, here it is:

twist all night 1 sheet

And we'll go out on a high note for this batch (imo, anyway):

blonde in bondage insert

Stay tuned - more to come!  B) B)
    Nice variety, Rock! and so many in good condition! More scores for sure!!!
    Thanks much for the comp-lo-mints, fellow poster hepcats. While I'm enjoying some lovely, soggy cereal at 3 a.m. this beautiful Thursday morning, let's plow through another exciting batch of recent acquisitions. First up, this is sadly only a Danish movie program, but it has pretty much the same art as their one sheet, which is is high on my "would definitely like to have" list. This is their take on Dragstrip Girl:

dragstrip girl danish program

Next up, these are both stock posters for short subject/newsreel-ish kinda films. I didn't have anything like 'em yet, so I was glad to get 'em:

featurettes 1 sheet

universal variety view 1 sheet

And lastly for now, a bit of female/car art with this Spanish 1 sheet, which would be exponentially better without this chap's mug right in the middle of it:
    la bella americana Spanish 1 sheet

Have a great (insert whatever weekday/time it is for your particular time zone here)! There's still more to come. Stay tuned! 

Rock-your building quite a nice collection! Really diggin the colors in your new paper. 

Really liking Featurettes! Great artwork and colors. And a Vitaphone production would place it in the 30s? Any idea of the date? 
  • StudioBizioStudioBizio Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Thank you very much HONDO  and CSM_2_Point_0 that was very useful as I said it is good to know what my partner can use for her work.  Luckily quite a few of the posters are in multiples and some are in poor condition.   So are less likely to be a loss of any great deal.

Thank you very much HONDO  and CSM_2_Point_0 that was very useful as I said it is good to know what my partner can use for her work.  Luckily quite a few of the posters are in multiples and some are in poor condition.   So are less likely to be a loss of any great deal.

Post some pictures when she is done!
    Thanks as always Mark, for your kind and supportive comments. I'm heading towards the finish line with recent acquisitions, so somebody here is gonna have to step up and buy somethin' to post!  ;) Anyhow, just a few this time, and a mixed bag at that. First up, I like vintage-y jukebox stuff, and this fit the bill nicely. I found an inexpensive brochure for a 1958 (i'm pretty sure) AMI i-200. It has a great picture of the unit itself, but also some nice companion colors to help the image pop a little. To give an idea of scale, unfolded the brochure is roughly 16"x20" for us, one of only 2 countries on the planet that still doesn't use the metric system, or 50x20 cm for the rest of the world. As a footnote that's probably only relevant or appreciated in this house, AMI was headquartered and manufactured in Grand Rapids, Michigan, the same place that the Mrs was manufactured.  :)

ami i-200

Next up, a bit of campy fun. Since I'll never be able to afford any original poster paper for Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, I have an autographed 1 sheet size video poster for Attack of the 60 Foot Centerfold. Yes, I know you're jealous, but you'll just have to get over it  ;)

attack of the 60 foot centerfold

And lastly for now, but probably the biggest poster purchase I'll make all year, a linenbacked 1 sheet for, as John Hazelton put it, the granddaddy of all gearhead movies:

hot rod 1 sheet

Being backed, it's going to be a little more of a pain to frame, but I'm pretty chuffed to have it. Maybe one day I'll be able to make my Metropolitan into a sleeper/hot rod. It won't be the same style of car that's in the hot rod movies, but it would definitely be in the same spirit:

metro drivers side

B)  B)
    That Metropolitan is a cool looking rig. It'll look amazing when you fix it up!

Yep, I wish I had a 60 ft Centerfold! B)
    Jukebox ad is very nice! Colors sweet! 

60ft woman is, yes very campy but a treat!😎

Hot Rod....well it’s just fantastic! Love the old school roadster posters!