Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Sherlock Holmes Universal Series ( 1942 - 1946 ) Australian Posters

HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Following up on two films, The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes and The Hound Of the Baskervilles made at 20th Century Fox in 1939, which were based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's character Sherlock Holmes, Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce reprised their roles of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson in a series of twelve low budget films at Universal released 1942-1946. This series was moved from the original Victorian era to the 1940's. The above eight daybills and one 1sh are the only available images of Australian film posters I have been able to locate from this series. A majority of these displayed images, from memory, originated from John along with three from Bruce.

The above U.S. images are for the remaining four titles were I wasn't able to locate any Australian posters of. Anyone have any Australian images?

This Australian ad block for Sherlock Holmes In Washington may or may not be an indication as to what the daybill may have looked like.  

Thought I would throw in an Australian Newspaper advertisement placed for The Pearl Of Death in 1944, as interestingly it doesn't feature Holmes or Watson as they appeared on similar original U.S. artwork from where the ad block artwork would have been copied. There was an Australian one sheet of Rhe Pearl of Death auction by Christie's in Australia in 1994.

One last thing is that there was also an Australian one sheet of Dressed to Kill auctioned by Christie's in 1994 of Dressed To Kill. No image currently available but the poster is similar to the following U.S. one sheet, although the scene under Basil Rathbone's image isn't there but in place there is a large circle containing the censorship rating of Not suitable for general exhibition taking up this area and the two male actors images on the bottom left hand side are missing  from the Australian one sheet version.

Lawrence

Comments