Skip to content

Why the ads David, Matt & Charlie?

I've noticed this website starting to look like MPF.

Comments

• .....Charlie and Matt?
  • He's broke and we felt sorry for him... ;)

We had exhausting discussions about the idea.  It's only going to be four advert banners.  Three have already been spoken for Dave, Rich, and Myself.  After no one snapped up the ads, I bought one just so I didn't have to see anymore yellow on the forum.  

:P

This IMO was in response to our efforts to quiet the barrage of dealer posts based on member feedback.  We considered many options. And we didn't necessary all agree, but with a lot of effort, we came to a unified decision. If you haven't noticed, the dealer thread is no more.  We have created a policy of no dealer posts or self promotion.  Dealer posts about their wares or self promoting will be removed.  The compromise of adverts was to give dealers a voice through the banner ads and our soon to be released supporter's page.   

Is it a terrible thing?  Who knows?  Are we turning into MPF?  Fuck you for saying that.   If the concern is about catering to the advertisers, I assure you that the money coming in isn't worth the forum's integrity.   I personally am not in this for money or profit. And from the conversations I have had with David and Matt they are not either - 100%.  However, the forum does require funding.  All three of us have been committed to covering that cost. And every little bit helps.

Of course this could all change at some point, but for now we carry on...

Other members, please feel free to chime in...
  • edited July 2014
    I see nothing wrong with it. This is a pretty tiny hobby, and the vast majority of hard core collectors know who the major players are, and new collectors find out fast through word of mouth.

If it makes the forum better, I am all for it. It saddens me that this hobby has four forums (plus many Facebook groups) and none of them have more than a dozen or so regular posters (excluding dealers). Maybe this one can be the one that changes that.

Best of luck!

P.S. It is fine if you change my user name to "Bruce", so as to avoid the appearance of advertising when I post.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Done.  Welcome Bruce!
  • We need to come up with another meaning for MPF...

Like "Motherfuckaofall Poster Forums"

That way Steve's comments don't piss me off.  Although I didn't start on forums until after Movie Poster Forum's demise...  So I have no bearing.

• What gets me is that one forum spends a lot of its time discussing soccer matches, and another compares dildo pictures. Is there really so little to talk about that actually relates to posters?

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• And welcome, too!

• Charlie said:

Are we turning into MPF?  
    Lets test.
  • edited July 2014
    I googled "Prepare Yourself Meme" and shit you not, found this:

• Found it!

• How much is ad space here? 
  • I think the only thing left is the bottom banner.  But I am already afraid...
  • I wanted to place this.

You read it... 

• edited July 2014

Meme wars of 2014...
  • edited July 2014

Back to work.  I've got a damn report due Friday...
  • edited July 2014
    The title of this thread has been changed from "Why the ads David?" to it's current form - one would be forgiven with the original title that this is my forum, I am sure you did not mean to infer that I was running the show. But I am glad you raised the subject.

I think Charlie summed it up, ads defray the costs, it's no secret what it costs to run this thing. We charge a small monthly fee for an advert to appear on the left. We three then cover the shortfall.

Another reason was we were seeing ads being posted by members who never ever posted anything else (except an advert post), to me that is wrong, this is a forum not a place for people to wham spam thank-you ma'am

As to starting to look like MPF, hmmm really? Go count - some 70 ads over there on the front page, there will be a max of four side ads here, and perhaps one footer banner. We are looking at allowing business banners in the new (to be set up) Resources section where you (members) have a choice to look or not (they're not forced on you per se) - to be in there it will be a one time set up fee.

We've also decided to not allow any dealer advertising/infomercials/advertorials style posts anywhere in-forum - we feel we want this forum to be more about collectors (mostly) discussing movie posters and the like rather than people discussing other people's in-forum dealer posts, at one point last week more than 50% of the new discussions/posts were advertising posts - it was getting a bit much...

We do allow free signature banners, the size of which has been re-specified here: http://tinyurl.com/pyaq8rh For those people who want to be seen but don't want to pay, add a sig banner and contribute more often to the forum discussions - the more time you post the more time your sig appears.

All other forums either allow ads by choice or by feed (NS4, MOPO, MPF, Facebook) and APF allow any number of dealer posts, infomercials, advertorials (which we won't) and that include the wham spam thank-you ma'am posts.

So overall we believe we will have a cleaner forum in terms of content.

As you can see I have an advert to the left and before you suggest, I get no special deal, I pay the same as everyone else, what is left after the paid ads are deducted are then split by the three of us, equally.
  • David said:
    The title of this thread has been changed from "Why the ads David?" to it's current form - one would be forgiven with the original title that this is my forum

When (half) of the two large advertisements are to your hobby site and there is no similar ad for Matt or Charlie, it makes sense to be asking you.  

Why change the title of the thread I started? Was that a joint 3 way decision to change it or is there a policy here that any question to one of the forum owners will be re-edited to always say "David, Matt & Charlie" ? 

David said:
    As to starting to look like MPF, hmmm really? Go count - some 70 ads over there on the front page

David said:
    All other forums either allow ads by choice or by feed (NS4, MOPO, MPF, Facebook)

When I look at the main poster forums, only MPF accepts paid advertisements. Log into NS4 and there are no ads. There are no ads I see on MOPO (click here) either. You say there are ads on MOPO... out of curiosity where?

When I say this site is starting to look like MPF it is in the sense of accepting paid advertising. But as you are referring to advertising quantity, well obviously it is heading that way too...

For example, on a general page on MPF , here is a comparison of the advertising on that page with the advertising on this page.

So, yes, "hmmm really", this site is starting to look like MPF!

PS, I surf MPF via a proxy using: http://www.theproxyfree.com/ and for me I see not a single paid MPF ad. Yet when I do similarly for VMPF I see paid ads. So for me in an advertising size sense, VMPF site has infinitely more paid advertising than MPF!

• Does anyone ever care about what you think anyway? I mean we consider your comments and act on them to shut you up, but I personally could live without them. You just seem to like to fuck with people. And you're obliviously caught in a vortex of your own shit right now, since you wrote "ads" - plural. Contextually, you were asking about multiple advertisements.  David only has one.  

And to add further insult, if your statements aren't one big CYA, you just proved our assumption you don't think that Matt or I had any say over David's ad?

Plus, if you weren't just making a public statement so you could admire yourself in electronic print, why not just send David a PM; especially if it was just about "his" advertisement.  

You are full of shit.  Nice of you to come around and stir it though.  =D>
  • Ouch, I hit a raw nerve.

Yes I was referring to Ads in plural on the site. Seeing David had one of the ads, I was directing the question to David as he likely knows more about both ads appearing on the site. I think other might like to know about the advertising direction here as well hence asking here.

It was never about "his" advertisement. To understand this thread better you need to read the subject title again "ads" and then my post. Why do you keep talking about David's ad? I never referred to David's ad or any ad singular. I said ads in the plural. There was no shit being stirred except for your mis-reading and response.

You and Grace Kelly are certainly the yin and yang of refinement!

This discussion has been closed.

Logo

For movie poster collectors who know...

@ 2021 Vintage Movie Posters Forum, All rights reserved.

Contact us

info@vintagemoviepostersforum.com

Get In Touch