Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Support Our Sponsors:

Be qick to save!

Now open!

Advertise here - click to read how

Adding Borders Back

CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 5,982 admin
So I had been (pre-kitchen) working on a few major border repair jobs and have a couple coming up (who knows when)...

What is your opinion of a restored poster with completely replace borders?
That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Replaced borders are much less of a sin than extensively recreated artwork (and much harder for a restorer to F up)
    Chris
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 5,982 admin
    I was trying to think of a way to add sharp text back and I was thinking that making a model decal, the kind that floats off, might work out...  
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,060 admin
    Seems OK to me and perfectly reasonable to me.
    David
  • BruceBruce Member Posts: 727 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I would rather have a one-sheet with all new borders than one with a circular hole the size of a pencil eraser in some important area (like someone's face).

A related question: Should a restorer fake the small writing when replacing borders? I contend that 99% of the time this is done to deceive a later buyer down the road.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 5,982 admin
    What do you mean fake? Is it fake to add back the appropriate text? Or do you mean that the replacement is so good the untrained eye can't even tell the borders were replaced...
    Yes, I mean like the entire NSS paragraph or the litho number and NSS number. You can't argue the person who frames it cares about those details. The only reason to do it is to deceive a later buyer down the road.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    Huh. I never considered it anymore deceiving than restoring the image portion. Unless say you backed a poster and added the info like on that Dracula s2 poster. Now one consideration may be if the poster could be a RR or studio vs. NSS...
    Interesting point I suppose, in my mind there is no difference a restored postered is restored no matter what part of it. To me the whole point of restoring it is to return the item to as close as possible to the original.

Are you saying anyone who restores a poster (or pays to have one restored for them) and sells it later and as a restored original poster is intent on deceiving? 

David
    Not at all. A poster is a piece of art, and many people do want it to look as good as it can, and yes, you want it to look as it originally did, so, for instance, you would not add colors that were not originally there, even if they would make it "look better",

But the tiny writing in the bottom border is something no one cares about when it is displayed. Or do you go over to a Gone With the Wind one-sheet and look closely at the bottom as part of your appreciating it?

Another subject is why everything needs to "look perfect". When I started selling full-time in this hobby so many years linenbacking without any restoration was referred to as "in the European style", so I still refer to it that way, although there may not be so many Europeans who still do this!

As one of my friends once put it, "In a society where people essentially linenback their FACES, it is not surprising they need to make their posters look perfect", but really, what IS wrong with a poster showing signs of its age?
    Well I think I won this from Vectis for about $15.  Will make a nice project.

Won't shipping from England be a killer?
    I hope not more than 6 pounds small packet...  It should come folded.
    Of course I probably won't get if for a couple months...
    Let us know how much it costs, how long it takes, and how well it was packed!
    Bruce said:
    Not at all. A poster is a piece of art, and many people do want it to look as good as it can, and yes, you want it to look as it originally did, so, for instance, you would not add colors that were not originally there, even if they would make it "look better",

But the tiny writing in the bottom border is something no one cares about when it is displayed. Or do you go over to a Gone With the Wind one-sheet and look closely at the bottom as part of your appreciating it?

Another subject is why everything needs to "look perfect". When I started selling full-time in this hobby so many years linenbacking without any restoration was referred to as "in the European style", so I still refer to it that way, although there may not be so many Europeans who still do this!

As one of my friends once put it, "In a society where people essentially linenback their FACES, it is not surprising they need to make their posters look perfect", but really, what IS wrong with a poster showing signs of its age?
    I understand your point, but when one restores a car one restores it back to as close as possible to the original condition (unless you are hot rodding it), you don't leave off the 1944 factory stamp under the bonnet/hood just because no one will really see it and it doesn't change the look of the car. The NSS detail etc at the bottom of the poster is part of the history of the poster and also the movie. If one was to restore a painting with (say) half the sig missing would one get that completed too?

PS:  I checked and none of my restored poster have had the data at the bottom repaired/added back, so I agree with myself even tho I am not talking from experience 
    :-/
    David
    I know for me personally if the NSS, printer or other bottom border info is missing or incorrect on a restored poster it would drive me insane (even if I agree that it is not the focal point of the poster).  Just knowing it is not "right" would be enough for me to stare at it and grimace repeatedly...
    Chris
    So apparently I didn't win the Caddyshack...  But I still have a nice BAT project coming up.
  • 110x75110x75 Member Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Charlie said:
    So apparently I didn't win the Caddyshack...  But I still have a nice BAT project coming up.
    I'm waiting for the green light. ;)
    CSM said:
    I know for me personally if the NSS, printer or other bottom border info is missing or incorrect on a restored poster it would drive me insane (even if I agree that it is not the focal point of the poster).  Just knowing it is not "right" would be enough for me to stare at it and grimace repeatedly...
    I'm with Chris on this one. Trimmed borders are almost the worst thing in my list (and sadly pretty common in argentinean posters). I would ONLY agree to have the missing borders added to a poster if it is extremely scarce and there is no chance to get another copy. In that case I would probably like to frame it, and knowing there's information lost in the process would be very unpleasant. Posters are part of film history more than decorative pieces and even information apparently not important like the printing company is vital when you think posters this way.
    About time you started agreeing with me again!
    Chris
    CSM said:
    Tried the other side, but they don't have health insurance, so I'm back. ;)
    110x75 said:
    CSM said:
    Tried the other side, but they don't have health insurance, so I'm back. ;)
    Quick learner!
    Chris
  • lynaronlynaron Member Posts: 128 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    When I mat and frame a poster I always display the fine print and the registration marks if possible.  To me it's important part of the piece, but that's just cranky old Lynn.
  • MirosaeMirosae Member Posts: 852 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Bruce said:
    Yes, I mean like the entire NSS paragraph or the litho number and NSS number. You can't argue the person who frames it cares about those details. The only reason to do it is to deceive a later buyer down the road.
    You can't deceive a buyer if you are willing to share visual information showing pre restoration photos. Those should serve any future buyers to make informed purchases. The fact that most sellers don't do that surprises me. As it is really important for those collecting old vintage paper. For example. I am extremely meticulous when it comes to restoration. I want it restored, not transformed on a print. NSS is part of its history and I would like it there if it was missing. Like I'd like any mould or dirt to be removed from the poster. Not deceiving if it shows its age with some TLC too.
    Rosa -
    Love some paper
    Dammit... My Hard Day's night is missing 1/2 inch all way round... It's all white space, no art or text.  Should I add it back?  I mean by the time it is up on the linen no one will know.  Well except me...  
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Yes, put it back as was..
    It's more than a Hobby...
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,373 admin
    Yes, I would. It's your poster.  I remember reading a discussion about adding back borders or small print info on bottom of the poster. I makes the restoration complete.

.although I did see a completely restored '65 mustang the other day missing the front & rear bumpers!...
    Mark
    .although I did see a completely restored '65 mustang the other day missing the front & rear bumpers!...
    hahaha
    David
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector