Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Woot! Santa is coming!

Merry Christmas!

Star Wars Trilogy 1sh - Rarest of Star Wars Posters

naominaomi Member Posts: 35 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder

One thing very nice about eMoviePoster auctions is when their lot descriptions provide story of ownership and provenance. This item's description explained the owner was a former Fox exec who visited the UA 150 theater in Seatle where the Trilogy was shown and obtained the poster (1 of only 18 printed!) on the last night of the run. Such a wonderfully timed find for him!

What struck me about the auction most was that past the 10K threshold bidding was exclusively between just two bidders from 10K to 22,500; It still amazes me to see the impact just two battling bidders can have on price. It's anyone's guess as always but does anyone feel this Star Wars Trilogy poster would have / could have ended at 10k if one or the other of the bid warriors would have been absent or not bid? When 12K is added due to bid war (instead of several bidders) it makes valuation even more difficult to quantify than usual.

Comments

• MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,197 admin
    Interesting is what is the impact/impression it leaves on bidders #3 and #4. Those that missed out. Do they now say to themselves, shite, I'm going to need more cash if this pops up again. Surely it won't reach 22,500 again. Is 12K to !5K more realistic?

Only they will know.

If each one of us had a lazy 20K to spend.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Matt said:

If each one of us had a lazy 20K to spend.......
    ...it would be on some wayyyyy cooler than that bland poster
    Chris
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    What Chris said...
    It's more than a Hobby...
  • JBOHMSSJBOHMSS Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    While it may be the rarest of the Star Wars posters is it worth so much money? I would say that a completeist feels that way but really? As Chris said -  "a bland poster" $20k gets a much better looking poster than that. In fact I could get 4 great Sci Fi posters for that money.

It is curious that such a poster will garner such a price - ultimately such a poster is worth as much as someone wants to pay for it. If there were 18 printed and potentially there are 18 of these out there (maybe)...what does that make the Breakfast at Tiffany's double sided one sheet worth when only a handful are in existence? Or the Goldfinger Hand Quad?

Very curios for such an image.
    This never happened to the other fella...
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,285 admin
    edited July 2014
    Doesn't do much for me - but then I've never seen the movie series. However, if you have every other poster in the series then perhaps it is worth it? Plus it is possibly a smart investment - it looks like the franchise isn't going to die anythime soon

David
    A double sided BAT, hmmm never heard of that.....interesting.
    Two posters stuck together...think fast Matty boy!

:D
    David
    What about The Battle of the River Plate daybill? I've only ever seen one. ;)
    I think the word rare is a oft bandied about adjective...
    David
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,372 admin
    edited July 2014
    Matt said:
    Check this out:  Click
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    David said:
    I think the word rare is a oft bandied about adjective...
    This is So true, I always prefer Scarce...

i wonder which is the more rare, scarce, or rare...
    :-??
    Charlie said:
    Matt said:
    Check this out:  Click

This is news to me as well...
    Chris
    Thanks for the link Charlie. Kinda looks commercial in a way. Will take some getting used to, halfway between an insert/daybill and a one sheet body wise.
    edited July 2014
    Well well, that is interesting, rare (or scarce) but is it eye candy? Not for me, too much pink. 

Also shows that rare and time don't always means price increase, $16.1K for that one on HA $23K two years earlier at Christies. Besides we've seen that time can heal all increases just recently...Casablanca insert anyone?
    David
    David said:
    Besides we've seen that time can heal all increases just recently...Casablanca insert anyone?
    Certainly a big drop but I think relative condition had a lot to do with that...
    Chris
  • naominaomi Member Posts: 35 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    JBOHMSS said:
    While it may be the rarest of the Star Wars posters is it worth so much money? I would say that a completeist feels that way but really?
    I'd agree. I'd view it as more of 'completists' poster than one sought for it's design beauty. Perhaps there is a collector who finds a black and white text-only poster the most beautiful and fitting design of all but I'd guess it's more of a completist endeavor.

With Star Wars possibly having launched more collections than any film series, this being the rarest poster and a bid war just requiring two people - the price could have landed just about anywhere.  I've long given up an any notion of an 'average market value' on unique lots. This one could have sold anywhere between 8K and 30K depending on the evening and who was present to bid and not surprised me too terribly either way.

I have to say it is the sort of poster I would have picked up, but only if the price was right for me, so I'm well out of the game for the next one....