New Imagining's of Movie Posters...notions and thoughts — The Vintage Movie Posters Forum

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Support Our Sponsors:

Be qick to save!

Now open!

Advertise here - click to read how

New Imagining's of Movie Posters...notions and thoughts

JBOHMSSJBOHMSS Member Posts: 2 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
Hi all - some of you may know me of old - I have been round a bit.

I wanted to ask the gentle folk on this forum about your thoughts on the recent re imaginings of Movie posters?

Movie posters are slowly becoming a thing of the past being replaced by plasma TV screens in cinemas showing trailers and eventually we are expecting digital poster displays - a USB stick will have a slide show of images in the poster format replacing the paper that we all love.

In recent years we have had a spate of posters by individual artists and printers that are legitimate movie posters issued and used by cinemas in various locations around the world - Castro theater in San Francisco, Alamo Drafthouse in Austin Texas etc.

Here on this forum are poster collectors - your thoughts on such posters and releases?

Personally I like to see new art and re imaginations - if the poster has been used at a theater it is considered legitimate, but do these posters have a place in your collections?
This never happened to the other fella...

Comments

• DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,058 admin
    This is an interesting question. 

Is the movie poster collector collecting because of the movie or the art. I collect posters based on the art as much as anything else, so I have no issues collecting a reimagined poster if I liked the art.
    David
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 5,978 admin
    The problem with re-imagining is all they want to re-imagine is horror and comic book characters.  I've yet to see some decent re-imagining of posters that need re-imagining... 
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    NO, I have no liking for them, and have no intentions of owning any. Money is too important for else where..

I buy for the film primarily, or if I like the Artwork ..secondly, but mainly for the film. I've bought some crap looking posters just because I like the film.
    I also buy for the History of Film and Cinema, mainly U.K. stuff. So I have some really odd ones also..

And Welcome to the forum Adrian.. 
    It's more than a Hobby...
  • TobTob Member Posts: 12 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    edited July 2014
    I collect them in addition to 'real' movie posters - I like seeing new imagery for films I love (I also don't mind re-release posters if the art is good). 

I agree that 'real' movie posters being theatre used and the posters being of that time (the historical aspect) contributes a lot to why they're special to me. Although the alternative posters lack this, the screen printed aspect fills that gap for me and they feel like a special poster when in hand (always much nicer than the jpeg would suggest). 

They're also an affordable way to own licensed/official art for films where I'd otherwise have no chance - I'd love a Rear Window one sheet, but my budget says "sorry!"...I'm really happy to have the Mondo version as an alternative that fits in my budget. 

• DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,058 admin
    This is a good point, technically are not re-release posters (in many cases) re-imagined, and often by different artists too?
    David
    There is No Cinematic history to these things, they are just created to make money from film fans, I class them as a fancy Repo..    ( mind I'm old and the young kids seem to like them )

It will be interesting to see what happens price-wise to them in years to come, once the fad for them is over.
  • TobTob Member Posts: 12 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    It is interesting to read people's thoughts on them - I think it can be roughly broken down into 3 groups: 

- Those like Paul who collect 'real' film posters and aren't interested
    - Those that collect these and don't like 'real' film posters ("crappy lithos, mass produced, fold lines etc etc")
    - Those that collect both

I have seen collectors from both group 1 and group 2 migrate into group 3 - so in that respect, even if you don't like them, I think they're a positive sideline to 'real' film posters as they've brought new people into collecting original posters (or at least, being more aware and appreciative of original posters). 

• 110x75110x75 Member Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I'm with Paul on this. I too collect primarily to preserve part of film history (at least the part of that history I feel more close to) and poster money is almost exclusively aimed at that.
    We're just a couple of Archivist.... ;)
    Now that you say it, I think of my stuff not as a collection, but an archive (the argentinean film horror archive to be more precise ;))

I like the cut of your Jib Young fellow.