Skip to content

Are the signed posters sold on Ebay really orginal?

Hi.

I have bought like 10 years ago some posters that come with a certificate of authenticity, but how can I be sure they are for real authentic?

The posters are:

back to the future

The good, the bad and the Ugly (signed by all 3 actors and Sergio Leone)

The Great Escape: (signed by the cast, including Steve Mcqueen)

What is the value of the posters (if they are real).

Comments

• The problem is those "certificates of Authenticity" are worthless bits of paper, and make me think straight away the signatures are fake. You could try and get them authenticated, but the only way to know for sure is get stuff signed yourself in person. Problem is when you someone who is already dead... buying from a reputable dealer is the only next step, or if you know someone you trust who had met them, and has the signatures to sell. 

I would be amazed if the McQueen was real, he never signed much anyway, neither does Eastwood.

Can you post some pics, would like to see them anyway, take a pic of the Cert's too.

If they are genuine, they will be worth a fair bit, especially the Great Escape.... 
  • edited August 2014
    My favourite fakes are the ones where they used a magic marker or similar before the damn thing was invented (which was 1952). The felt tip pen was not invented until 1962 and highlighters and fine-line markers not until 1970s. 

The ballpoint pen was patented in 1888 but the design was poor and was too messy for letter writing and was a failure commercially. The patent lapsed on the grounds of practicality and usability and in 1940 the Bíró brothers filed a new patent, and formed Bíró Pens of Argentina. By the summer of 1943 the first commercial models were available.

The roller-ball pen, today often used to sign autographs as it flows consistently, produces a far smoother line and comes in  different colours, silver seemingly the popular one for stars to sign with, was not commercially available until the 1970s.

So, if your celebrity was dead before the pen he signed with was invented then ask yourself, how did they pry the pen into his cold dead hand...

• My favorite was a signed Elvis record...a compilation that was released in 1978, a year after he died. I tried unsuccessfully to explain this to the seller.
  • thank you for your info. I think they are all fake :)

They look to good.

• Post pics...
  • Your best bet on getting signatures for posters is attending a con in which the actor will be at and paying the autograph fee or find yourself a reputable facilitator willing to do the legwork while you pay the autograph fee and facilitator fee. I always try to do the first option, but at times I have settled for the second option.