Skip to content

Printer's Proofs

I've only got about 18-24 months of immersion in the world of paper, & have been reading as much as i can about it but still have some questions about Printer's Proof posters. - Another 1977 Star Wars Style D Printer's Proof is up for auction at HA. I emailed HA a few months about the fact that the "color test" was on the right side of the poster (when your looking at it). I have ONLY seen the color test strip on the LEFT side in all the samples I've seen on EMP. ---Questions: Are the color test strips only on the left side? ---- I only see printer's proofs for Star Wars posters & maybe one other title, are they common for other titles, decades? Thanks for any info....btw my email to HA about the Star Wars printer's proof went unanswered. Mark

Comments

• I am not a printer but I have seen the colours on the left, on the right, on both left AND right and also on the top and on the bottom (albeit not on movie posters).

• Very interesting! Would not have thought they would have been printed on both sides! Thanks.
  • I think printer's proofs are like autographs... Unless you are buying it from a guy that can show you a pic from 1977 holding the poster, then meh... But I am no expert on PP....
  • Personally I think printer's proofs are highly overrated.  They are kind of like prototypes and not "real" posters to me
  • Hadn't thought of them in the sense of an autograph-I've quite a few autos on baseballs & COE's are worthless unless by a highly reputable co....I've got an Obama auto from 2007 but is worthless unless certified----but makes me wonder if PP fakes are often sold-the Star Wars posters seem to have quite a few of them. I agree with the prototype idea-I would only buy one if I was collecting the title & needed it to complete a collection---they typically seem to go for a premium.
  • edited December 2014
    CSM said:
    Personally I think printer's proofs are highly overrated.  They are kind of like prototypes and not "real" posters to me
    I'm ambivalent, I don't collect them so don't think about them per se. 

But it's interesting that you think they are not real - one of my wife's possession on our wall is an Artist's Proof 'Charlotte by David Bromley' one we bought it auction. An Artist's Proof is when the original is going to be printed as a poster and before it can go to print the printer does a short run so the artist can approve that it has been printed correctly. He signs them off and then they mass produce, these are considered highly collectible.

You'd be hard pressed to convince my wife it is not real.
  • I have artist proofs signed by the artist but that is a bit different than an unsigned printer's proof of a poster...
  • Charlie said:
    I have artist proofs signed by the artist but that is a bit different than an unsigned printer's proof of a poster...
    Yeah they are completely different in my opinion
  • Charlie said:
    I have artist proofs signed by the artist but that is a bit different than an unsigned printer's proof of a poster...
    I have printer's proofs signed by the printer. uBer rare?
  • I have a few printers proofs also a couple of Artists proofs, which personally I think are the same. Some have the colour bars, and usually just the one set.

Unlike Chris says, they are original posters, they are just not cut to size, nor have they been used at a theatre. That said. a lot of pristine posters may have been cut, but never made it to a Cinema. These are all the same no difference really, it's just the uncut proofs won't fit a standard frame. Get it cut to size and you have the same poster. I do think it's just the novelty of having one that's just slightly different, if thats your thing.

I don't think they are worth more, in fact the ones I bought were because they were much cheaper than an averagely priced one... 
  • David said:
    Charlie said:
    I have printer's proofs signed by the printer. uBer rare?
    Movie Posters Printer's Proofs?
  • Motion Picture Posters Printer's Proofs Preferred...
  • Still a poster in my mind but not my cup of tea.
  • I think that is where I'd agree with Matt, it's still a poster. A printer's proof is just a rarer, or should I say one that has been printed in less volume, so for the completionist it's a must have?
  • Isnt it partly true that most "printers proofs" you see are actually just untrimmed regular issued posters?  Without markings for revisions and approval initials can they be considered proofs?  I will admit I have a Spice World proof lol.  The front and back have two different styles. weird one.
  • Jedge said:
    Isnt it partly true that most "printers proofs" you see are actually just untrimmed regular issued posters?  Without markings for revisions and approval initials can they be considered proofs?  I will admit I have a Spice World proof lol.  The front and back have two different styles. weird one.
    Yes except sometimes they are not the same as the finished product (colours may change etc)
  • Just looking around and found this one.

Printer's proofs = untrimmed posters...that's all really.  IMHO

• hehehe...
  • Just looking around and found this one.

Listen to Ves people (if you know what's good for you)
  • CSM said:

Just looking around and found this one.

Stop sucking up...I already said I'll send you something good!

But seriously, is it ok if I give you my hubbies number?  He needs to be set straight!

• CSM said:

Just looking around and found this one.

Stop sucking up...I already said I'll send you something good!

But seriously, is it ok if I give you my hubbies number?  He needs to be set straight!

Absolutely - I would like to set him straight about the need to ship off some framed posters from his wife's walls to Canada ;)
  • Printer's proofs, as I remember Ari is very passionate about these and could no doubt wax on lyrical about them but he is lost in the Canadian outback now...
  • edited December 2016

More of a printer's goof, than proof!