Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Snipes

13»

Comments

• jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 649 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited May 3
    I found this Australian(?) snipe on a US lobby card to be creative and somewhat amusing

- Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • HONDOHONDO Member, Wizard of Aus Posters Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Sex Life In A Convent with a Convert Girls snipe covering the original title..

Lawrence
    edited May 3
     theartofmovieposters said:
    Found one with the cat on ebay...phew!

Thanks Ves for your images and as a cat lover I love the cat restricted version. A question though - why the cat ?
    Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
    jayn_j said:
    I found this Australian(?) snipe on a US lobby card to be creative and somewhat amusing

Not uncommon to see this sort of rating snipe appear on U.S. lobby cards and on a few half sheets that were used briefly in Australia as well.Australian cinemas used U.S. lobby cards as part of the accessories available to exhibitors and censorship  rating snipes were often attached on the cards. This card undoubtedly resided in Australia at one time. From the United States to Australia then it found its way back home. A well traveled item that took home a souvenir from Australia.

A rare U.S. half sheet with an Australian censorship snipe, coming from a very brief period when half sheets were used in Australia.

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    jayn_j said:

Poor person who had to stick those on to who knows how many lobbies!
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Doesn't explain the panther but a little more info here:

http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/newsite/INDEX/COUNTRIES/Canada/Canada.asp
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Very interesting Chris.  Thanks muchly!
    Very interesting Chris.  Thanks muchly!
    Ditto. Totally slipped my mind to check this site myself.

Lawrence

Westend Jungle ( 1961 ) U.S.A. pressbook with a Canadian censorship snipe attached.
    Lawrence

AC / DC ;  Let There Be Rock original Australian poster. This is the only copy of this odd sized poster printed for Greg Lynch Distributors in Australia I have sighted. This poster ended up in New Zealand. A question then - were the two snipes attached in New Zealand, or where they attached  in Australia before they were despatched there ?  I am thinking that after Greg Lynch looked at the b & w poster a concern may have been raised that some people may believe that the film was to be screened in black and white, so a staff member was sat down to attach stickers to all the posters before they were to be used in Australia and N.Z. To make sure the message got through two snipes were added. Your thoughts ?
    Lawrence
  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    HONDO said:

AC / DC ;  Let There Be Rock original Australian poster. This is the only copy of this odd sized poster printed for Greg Lynch Distributors in Australia I have sighted. This poster ended up in New Zealand. A question then - were the two snipes attached in New Zealand, or where they attached  in Australia before they were despatched there ?  I am thinking that after Greg Lynch looked at the b & w poster a concern may have been raised that some people may believe that the film was to be screened in black and white, so a staff member was sat down to attach stickers to all the posters before they were to be used in Australia and N.Z. To make sure the message got through two snipes were added. Your thoughts ?
    I've seen these snipes used on some Rocky Daybills, no doubt for the same reason. 

Number One ( 1969 ). Two U.S.A. insert poster images. A snipe applied over the bottom of one of them. Would this have been for use in Canada perhaps ? 
    Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 649 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    The one on my American Graffiti HS is somewhat different.  Don't know if that proves much though.

- Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 

Castle Of Evil ( 1966 ) appears to either have been banned or not originally picked up for theatrical distribution in Australia. The film commenced being screened in Australia on television circa 1980, when it was classified horror with a adults only rating. The above poster is an original New Zealand release poster printed there for New Zealand Film Services Ltd. This would have to confirm that the colour snipe in discussion recently was applied only in New Zealand. The previous examples of the colour snipe being attached to the AC /DC ; Let There be Rock and Rocky posters were for posters printed in Australia and used in New Zealand, where the colour snipes would have been applied to the posters.
    Lawrence

Fast Company ( 1953 ). Three examples of snipes being applied to the same Australian daybill design. From left to right the placement / s get worse. The censorship alteration, along with the attached snipes. doesn't enhance the look of the posters one bit.
    Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I've got one of those little AC/DC posters but no snipes attached

Michael Kohlhaas ( 1969 ). This poster is currently being advertised for sale on a New Zealand website. The wording appearing on the two exact snipes attached onto the poster is something I haven't seen before.
    Lawrence

The Raging Moon ( 1971 ) Australian one sheet and daybill.

The film was called The Raging Moon in the U.K. when released there and re-titled Long Ago, Tomorrow in the U.S.A.
    for it's release there. It would appear to me that BEF Australia originally was going with the Long Ago, Tomorrow title, but later changed their mind and applied the sticker on the one sheet covering over the title Long Ago,Tomorrow that originally had been printed on the poster. If you look closely under the T letter on the snipe  you can just notice what looks like possibly could be the bottom of the letter L just seen on the original artwork  The daybill appears that it would have been printed later on in the printing process. 

Lawrence
  • collectaholliccollectahollic Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Quite a large beast on this Twelfth Night one sheet.

Phantom Of The Rue Morgue ( 1954 ). Those pesky Canadians at it again.                                                                          
    Lawrence
    edited September 25

Tormented ( 1960 ). Two U.S.A. lobby cards with the one on the left showing us someone's unskilled unsuccessful effort to remove a Canadian censorship snipe. 
    Lawrence
    edited September 25
    HONDO said:

Tormented ( 1960 ). Two U.S.A. lobby cards with the one on the left showing us someone's unskilled unsuccessful effort to remove a Canadian censorship snipe. 
    Uninformed attempt.  I have found the Ontario snipes fairly easy to remove, especially from cardstock.  All it takes is a damp sponge and some patience.

The Ontario snipes are the worst.  Huge, and usually put in obnoxious locations.  I generally leave snipes be as part of the history, but these suckers often destroy any value the poster has for me.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 

The Return Of The Vampire. ( 1943 ). An  8'' x 10 1/4'' U.S.A. still. Three snipes added for Australian release. Posted on my ''All things censorship related in Australia'' thread which some members don't view, so I thought I would also include it here on this more general appeal thread, as it possibly will be of interest to people outside of Australia as well.
    Lawrence

Poor Cow ( 1967 ) Australian original daybill and the same daybill altered for New Zealand usage.

A giant snipe, and the biggest one that I have ever seen, has been attached to the daybill.

The first thing is that the world sex was replaced on the snipe by the word life.

The four images on the original daybill, in three cases, have been changed. The two interesting ones are as follows.

In the original Australian image of Carol White she is much more exposed than the N.Z. version.

The Australian version features the husband mistreating the wife, with the N.Z. version showing a happier image with the lover, played by Terrence Stamp.
    Lawrence

Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? ( 1966 ) original release Australian daybill. This film was released in Sydney, N.S.W. on August 18 1966.

In November 1966 control of Warner Bros. was sold to Seven Arts . In 1967 Warner Brothers - Seven Arts was formed so it would appear the remaining Australian posters held in storage had the new name snipe then attached.

Lawrence