Skip to content

Daybill posters printed for 16mm release only.

Were daybills printed for 16mm release of commercially  made Hollywood films? Curios to hear members views  and if this happened can anyone list any titles or better still post images?

Hondo

Comments

• Now you're really opening a can of worms. 
    I'm way too busy!!

• The cost of film hire from Amalgamated included 5 daybills for promotion. In short, they were the same as all other daybills printed for 35 / 70mm cinema release. Whether they were printed at the same time is a matter for more research, as some were displayed years later.
    e.g. I have a daybill for Clay Pigeon (1971) used for 16mm release. The screening date on the reverse is 3/5/87 AM, which makes it impossible to sell!
    I did see Scarface around 1985 at a 16mm showing at Dural Country Club (surely one of David's haunts), but can't remember if there were any daybills up.
    Here is one of the old reel boxes, which is a nice piece of memorabilia in itself. Usually came in lots of 4 per film.

• Busy huh! :-w  I don't think so. :P
  • Rushed a reply in to give Hondo some more research work. Gotta keep him busy so he doesn't go snooping around Blue Mountains antique shops looking for vintage daybills! 
  • The Treasure Island daybill is a giveaway but there are also many other daybill posters printed for 16mm release only for major Hollywood films..Any thoughts? They are not so obvious to pick.

Hondo

• edited April 2015

If I said these two daybills were printed for 16mm release what are your thoughts?

image image

• edited May 2015

.image

Hondo

• Amalgamated had an extensive classics library, and with outlets in all major capitals, it's possible they had their own posters printed.
    Over the years I've bought 2 collections from 16mm projectionists totaling about 1000 daybills. None of them were specific for 16mm that I recall.
    Not sure about any of the posters above.

• Mark said:
    Amalgamated had an extensive classics library, and with outlets in all major capitals, it's possible they had their own posters printed.
    Over the years I've bought 2 collections from 16mm projectionists totaling about 1000 daybills. None of them were specific for 16mm that I recall.
    Not sure about any of the posters above.

Before I comment on why I believe all the early posted five images were designed specifically for 16mm release and  you are obviously keenly involved in 16mm I would ask a question. Are you aware if 20th Century Fox distributed MGM product on 16mm in 1978?

Hondo

• I only know second hand from the guys I bought from.
    Amalgamated was a division of Fox, and they distributed MGM films for 16mm, if that helps.
  • Mark said:
    I only know second hand from the guys I bought from.
    Amalgamated was a division of Fox, and they distributed MGM films for 16mm, if that helps.

This helps my argument no end.

The reasons I believe daybill posters were printed solely for 16mm release for the five films I have poisted images on are as follows -----

Treasure Island - Easy one as it has Distributed by 16mm Pty Ltd on the daybill.

Duel At Diablo - The poster has a NRC rating on it making if 1971 or after. The Australian Classification Database with information recorded from when the new  classification ratings were introduced in 1971 have no record of a 35mm classicication. It does however have an entry for 16mm  Public registered on 01-09-1975 This version was uncut.

The Scalphunters - The poster has a NRC rating on it also. Again no record of a 35mm classification on the database but it does record an entry for 16mm Public Exhibition registered on 01-09-1975.This version was uncut.

The Naked Spur - This poster also has a NRC rating on it. Again no record of a 35 mm classification on the database  but it has a 16mm Public Exhibition entry registered on 01-10-1978. There is no distributor credited on the daybill but we know the film is MGM. The company who submitted the film for classification was 20th Century Fox who distributed MGM films on 16mm in Australia.

Across The Wide Missouri - Again the poster has a NRC rating on it but for some reason the film doesn't appear at all on the database. Speaking to a person from the Classification Office recently about this title the person I spoke to couldn't explain why a film with a NRC rating doesn't appear on the database, unless it was classified Not Suitable For Children pre 1971 so the new NRC rating would be changed for the poster. Records for pre 1971 classifications are not currently available to the general public to access. As the film is MGM and it certainly looks like it was drawn by the artist who created The Naked Spur and the two posters originated from the same source I am confident this film is a 16mm release through 20th Century Fox daybill. 

Are you a believer now Mark?

Hondo.

• Across the wide Missouri is in their catalogue.
    BTW, you could have got the info off the cover of the book I posted above!!
  • Sorry Mark one cannot look at everything.

Hondo.

• This is an interesting poster as the colours are arranged differently to all the regular daybills. Not sure if a printing error or done deliberately for 16mm.                                                                                             
  • I have a feeling these Anjohn titles are 16mm only.

• Mark said:
    This is an interesting poster as the colours are arranged differently to all the regular daybills. Not sure if a printing error or done deliberately for 16mm.                                                                                             
    I think it is for 35mm release.

Hondo

• Mark said:
    I have a feeling these Anjohn titles are 16mm only.

Acquasanta Joe  - 16mm only

The Abductors - 16mm only. Not to be confused with a U.S.1972 film with the same title classified R also in the same year of 1974 on 35mm. Don't be thrown by the names on the daybill as they were Greek actors billed with English names on the poster.

Murder In The Deep (aka  Taiyo No Yaro_Domo / Rascals In The Sun ) - not classified under any of these three titles in Australia since the NRC classification came into place. Released in Japan in 1969 so may have been classified in Australia with a Not Suitable For Children rating around the time of the switch and given the new classification of NRC. Unknown as to it being 35mm or 16mm but being Anjohn International the same as the others I would think 16mm as well.

I believe have seen over the years some other duotone daybills with Anjiohn International on them also. so they were probably produced for 16mm release also. If you find any other Anjohn International daybills Mark please post them on this thread.

Hondo

• HONDO said:

If you find any other Anjohn International daybills Mark please post them on this thread.

Hondo

Okay. 
    Also, they would look really good at your house!! 
  • edited May 2015

Why?

Hondo

• Released in 16mm in 1974 (I believe).
  • The film was passed for exhibition in Australia on 16mm in 1974 with no record of it being classified on 35mm. It was originally titled Night Of The Dark Full Moon in 1972.  No record of it being passed for exhibition under that title.  I can only find that the film played as a support to another Seven Keys film The Case Of The Smiling Stiffs at the Sundown Drive in in Canberra , A.C.T. This film was on 35mm so I assume the Sundown Drive In had 16mm projection and screened Silent Night, Bloody Night in this format.
  • 1686 HORROR HOSPITAL Aust daybill

Another 16mm release, I believe.
  • Pancho said:
    1686 HORROR HOSPITAL Aust daybill

Another 16mm release, I believe.

Horror Hospita was passed for public exhibition by the Australian censor on 35mm on the 1st of November, 1973 with a R certificate. The applicant was MGM BEF Film Co. The running time was 95 minutes. The above daybill would have been for this release.

What you may be mixed up is the same film was passed for public exhibition by the Australian censor on 16mm on the 1st of November, 1981 again with a R certificate. The applicant this time being Blake Films and with a reduced running time of 90 minutes.

• Hmm...I wonder if there is a Blake Films daybill out there?
  • My thoughts are not likely.
  • HONDO said:
    My thoughts are not likely.
    Would there be any paper at all? Having a 16mm print passed for release suggests a commercial showing rather than anything private. I've always worked to the assumption that any film passed for release would've had some from of poster printed. Curious to know if you're aware of any times when a film was classified by the censors but no posters were produced.
  • No 35mm I imagine but I am not sure about 16mm.
  • Mark said

To help me with some research Mark I am hoping you can let me know the year this catalogue was published and if The Day The Earth Stood Still is featured but I am thinking this catalogue is perhaps pre 1979 and won't be in it.

Do you have any later 18mm catalogues than this one as well ?

•  Pollyanna ( 1960 ) distributed by 16mm Aust.Pty.Ltd. It makes me wonder just how many of similar designed style daybill posters printed without any 16mm reference on them, that are assumed to be second theatrical release printings or  re-release posters were actually printed specifically for 16mm release? Hundreds ans hundreds is my guess
  • Daybills printed for Australian 16mm screenings of two episodes of 1967 episodes of the television series The Avengers.