Skip to content

Bargain Basement 2014 & 2015

2»

Comments

• I was wondering what those stains on it were caused by, but now I know it was good old Argentinean soil!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• CSM said:
    Yeahhhh! Thats the most significant find in Australia in a long time. The caliber of the titles were all first rate!
    I've not heard anything about this.  How long ago was the "find" made?
    Probably bc you're hiding under a rock in canadia! How about you tell us ur story about george first..
  • CSM said:
    Yeahhhh! Thats the most significant find in Australia in a long time. The caliber of the titles were all first rate!
    I've not heard anything about this.  How long ago was the "find" made?
    Probably bc you're hiding under a rock in canadia! How about you tell us ur story about george first..
    We hide in igloos here!

Story is simple -> win a poster, pay for a poster, it doesn't arrive after giving the usual time from Oz, contact "George" asking what's up and can you provide proof of shipment, he cannot provide anything and just says "sorry I will refund".  Then no more communication etc...

So clearly it was NOT lost in the mail.  He either didn't like the price it sold for and deliberately did not ship or was too embarrassed to admit that he forgot to ship it out...just ridiculous no matter what the truth was.  I've had other dealings as well where trying to communicate is worse than going to the dentist...

Now spill it!
  • Interesting Chris. I have dealt with george on a number of occasions with no problems. What titles did u win at auction that he failed to complete the transaction?

I had a long discussion with John ried about the Tasmania find and it happened before i was collecting. He mentions a little about it on hes website here  http://www.ozefilm.com/alfred-hitchcock-australian-movie-posters/
  • Thanks Reg.

It was an Aussie one sheet for "The Stranger"
  • Some lucky bastard picked up When Worlds Collide Daybill for AU$28.

For the record.....it wasn't me.
  • Hi I'm George from Perth Western Australia. I joined  this site because it was brought to my attention that certain comments are being made about me, on this site and a couple other sites. Firstly Stranger poster was delisted, It was not sold on ebay. I had a low starting price on that poster of $100, I had a lot of enquiries but sadly no bids. Mario offered to buy at $150 which I accepted and then delisted. Please note I ceased the auction after four days. If a bid had been placed I would have honoured it. Second- my grading, I use the Camden House auction grading, clear cut and easy to understand. Third- packaging- I use specially made to order packaging and plastic sleeves. Lastly, I would like to make it clear I purchased Casablanca off ebay. If other people wanted it why did they not bid against me for it? I was the highest bidder and then enquired whether the seller had any additional posters for sale of which he did and I purchased others. Please note there was no Maltese Falcons or Gone With The Wind etc. etc. I am surprised people believe everything they read. I shouldn't have to explain myself as in my eyes I know I haven't done anything wrong.
  • Hello George, I don't do Australian posters so must have missed what has been going on. It sure sounds like you did nothing I wouldn't do, no doubt the Ozzy chaps will chime in..

On a better note, welcome to the forum, I hope you will still hang around here when whatever it is blows over..  
  • Hi George, unless you are referencing a 2nd Aussie Stranger one sheet - the sale WAS made on eBay and the listing was NOT pulled prior to my bid being accepted at closing:

What you've just posted (again, unless we are somehow speaking of two copies) entirely confirms my suspicions all along - i.e. that you never mailed the poster I won and paid for but instead offered an excuse it was "lost in the mail" and issued a refund (after I opened a claim) so that you could either keep it or sell it elsewhere because you did not like the bid result.  This was despite the fact my bid was valid and I had already paid your invoice.  Clearly, your statement about honouring bids is incredulous in this case...

• george004 said:
    Lastly, I would like to make it clear I purchased Casablanca off ebay. If other people wanted it why did they not bid against me for it? I was the highest bidder and then enquired whether the seller had any additional posters for sale of which he did and I purchased others. Please note there was no Maltese Falcons or Gone With The Wind etc. etc. I am surprised people believe everything they read. I shouldn't have to explain myself as in my eyes I know I haven't done anything wrong.
    Hi George and welcome to the forum. Firstly, I've been told from more than one reputable collector about the titles of posters that came out from that one collection find from Tasmania. Perhaps some misinformation somewhere. Secondly, the Casablanca daybill you won from that seller in Tasmania had other posters, which you said you purchased as well. Me and other collectors have reason to believe the following daybill titles all came from that same seller in Tasmania. The 39 steps, The lady vanishes, Angels with dirty faces, White Zombie. Could you set the record straight about these titles, If in fact they came from that seller or not??? 
  • edited April 2015

I heard about this collection some time after the best titles had been sold. When I eventually contacted the owner of the posters, he told me that he had initially listed one or two daybills on ebay and sold quite a few others off ebay as a result. At the time, I doubt that he disclosed everything that he had.

Months later, he sent me, and some other collectors, various lists of what he had left in the collection. He said it had taken him a lot of time to go through everything and finally get a list together.

There were posters dating from the 1930s - 1960s including some great titles. I picked up some of the lesser stuff and there were some good long daybills still available. He actually still had two Casablanca daybills for sale (from memory the original and the reissue). One or two other collectors were able to get those and some other great posters. I later heard that the owner of the posters had made a deal with a collector to sell the rest on consignment. I guess they have all been dispersed by now.

• I think Chris scared him off with that ebay screen shot..
  • The silence from George is deafening right now, it would be easy to say "yeah it was a second copy" but he didn't even say that. I've dealt with George in the past and had no problem. It saddens me when collectors miss out on a item they have rightfully earned. I think we've all travelled path of ........fark...that baby should be at my house by now!
  • Righto...we need an eBay sellers to watch out for section...
  • Sure do, ebay is full of scallywags.... 
  • One of the long daybills from the Tasmanian collection. An interesting one because it is actually a re release. At the time it was being offered most people would not have had a clue that it and some others were reissues.

• John, do you have a photo of the White zombie daybill?
  • I only heard about the collection after the early sales had been made and no one ever mentioned a White Zombie daybill to me. Are you sure that was part of the collection?
  • Oh no...A clown poster...keep them away.  I have no more money!
  • John, do you have a photo of the White zombie daybill?

Here's a kinda sorta picture of it:

• I heard it is from that collection. Whether its true or not is a mystery. It looks like a beauty though judging from the photo Chris has posted. 
  • Wooo Whoo...  Scored two Dirty Harry Lobby Cards for $8 each!

• Geeze that's not too shabby a price.
  • In decent shape too-a bend here, water stain there, all of which can be remedied. Nice scenes as well. 

• Are you going to give them a wash to get the stains out?