Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Please remember this is a dealer free zone - no adverts posts by dealers please. Read the rules (under Advertising) here: http://goo.gl/Rk6IMQ or if you would like to advertise, read more here: http://goo.gl/Df4ZIB

Starlight Collect

CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,177 admin
They are being difficult at the moment...  You just don't know the character of a dealer until you tell them they did something wrong and ask for money.

To: starlight-collect
Subject: I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message: chubby_charlies sent a message about Audrey Hepburn American Film Debut ORIGINAL 1952 Photo Secret People Ballet #351283016885
Sent Date: Jan-26-15 14:43:13 PST

Dear starlight-collect,

Hi Starlight,

I hate when this happens but it looks like a wet package was set on the package of the still and moisture got to the still in a small spot. It doesn't take away a lot from the still as it can be framed but it is no longer in the mint conditioned it appeared to be in. Any thoughts on a partial refund? -Charlie

Package
http://www.abideposters.com/VMPF_Junk/012015/Stills_Damage/SecretPeople1.jpg
Front
http://www.abideposters.com/VMPF_Junk/012015/Stills_Damage/SecretPeople2.jpg
Back
http://www.abideposters.com/VMPF_Junk/012015/Stills_Damage/SecretPeople3.jpg
Bakcerboards
http://www.abideposters.com/VMPF_Junk/012015/Stills_Damage/SecretPeople4.jpg

Dear Charlie,

Hi--we will leave it up to you whether or not you feel it is fair for us to pay for the obvious carelessless of USPS.

If you would like a partial refund let us know what you feel is fair and we will comply with your wishes as we do not want to receive neg. or neutral feedback for something that was not the fault of our shipper.

Sorry that happened. We have been in business now for 15 years and this is the first time we have had an item water damaged.

- starlight-collect

To: starlight-collect
Subject: Re: I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message: chubby_charlies sent a message about Audrey Hepburn American Film Debut ORIGINAL 1952 Photo Secret People Ballet #351283016885
Sent Date: Jan-26-15 17:02:10 PST

Dear starlight-collect,

Hi Starlight,

Although I appreciate you putting the ball back in my court, you could have packaged the item to avoid the water damage. I simple plastic sleeve would have prevented the damage. I've had packages from another dealer packaged so well that even though it was left out in the rain and soaked - nothing got wet.

So at this point I do think that you should pay for not being prepared for the carelessness of the USPS... I think a $7.50 partial refund is fair.

Like I said it is not a total loss or even all that bad but it now has a water bump and texture from where the water hit the still. It was in perfect condition when I bought it and you sent it and now it is not.

Best,

Charlie ___________________________________ Hi--please send a photo of the damage to the front of the photo as any damage seems to be hidden by the light flash reflections in the photo you sent.

I need to show the damage to the photo to my consigner to authorize a partial refund.

- starlight-collect

Problem is you can't really capture the water spot. These photos pop up quite a bit, I might just send it back...
That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook

Comments

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,177 admin
    Still claiming he can't see the water spot with two additional photos...  I am just going to send it back.  

• CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,177 admin
    Well now he has issued the partial.  Why is it so stressful?  He could have avoided the whole thing by slipping it in a sleeve... 
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited January 2015
    Agree charlie, poor packaging is just dam frustrating, in particular simple things like a plastic sleeve , so easy and so important for the safey of the still ..yet always shortcuts taken. Hear your frustration!! I now, for dealers i have not dealt with on eBay send a friendly separate email on how to package the poster and offer to pay more, I think it might be working .. we should develop a friendly email 'template reminder for each type...Yes a flattened corn flake box is not going to protect my Italia 1p from Italy to. Australia! Sorry to hear of this Charlie and glad they have finally come around, but lots of unnecessary nstress and back and forth which would be prevented by a plastic sleeve.
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    And yet at first all they were bothered about was getting Negative feedback...  Customer satisfaction should always be paramount for sellers/dealers.

I say stay well clear of them in future, there's always more stuff out there than one can buy, these people should realise this.   
    It's more than a Hobby...
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Charlie said:
    Well now he has issued the partial.  Why is it so stressful?  He could have avoided the whole thing by slipping it in a sleeve... 
    It's stressful because we care about preserving. History and they only care about making $$$...
  • DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,160 admin
    edited January 2015
    People are lazy and some big sellers simply have no idea about customer service.

My question Charlie: if it had been in a sleeve, well packed and still got damage due to the carrier would you have claimed against the seller?
    David
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I've not had any issues with Starlight in my few transactions.  But yes a plastic sleeve would be a helpful addition
    Chris
    David said:
    My question Charlie: if it had been in a sleeve, well packed and still got damage due to the carrier would you have claimed against the seller?
    But it wouldn't have been damaged.  The damage wasn't from the blow but the water.  Bitch of it is that I got my Gidget still and it was beat to hell in the mail too with some creasing. And it was packed pretty good in a folder, but they used cheap cardboard.  So I asked for a partial and they gave it to me right away...
    David said:
    People are lazy and some big sellers simply have no idea about customer service.

Wait. So you are asking if, I as the buyer, should grant the seller a pass if the postal carrier does a bad job.  No... It is the seller's responsibility to pack well enough to overcome the post carrier.  This may not always happen and that is why you buy insurance.  The responsibility falls on the seller to get the item to me in the same condition when I purchased it - how ever he chooses to do so is on him.  I feel it is part of the written and unwritten contract for online sales.  Do you feel otherwise David? 

I mean if it is damaged, the seller should replace or compensate for the damage.  Simply because the damaged items is no longer what I purchased and the contract should be considered void...   
    edited January 2015
    Oh and the buyer should not have to buy insurance to cover the incompetence of the seller either.  I think eBay did make the right decision with that.  The seller should either self insure or cover the insurance costs through the stated cost of shipping - no options later.
    Charlie said:
    Do you feel otherwise David? 

I don't have an opinion, I was simply asking because that would be the logical extension of your request for better packaging would be (if damaged and he met your packing conditions).

As to insurance - not sure on that.

If Bruce ships to me insurance is only offered as an option and I have to pay for it if I want it. Is the local stuff from him insured? 
    David
    I am not sure...  I recall something about self insured.  I have no doubt that if a package was damaged domestically he would take the poster back.  Not sure about international.  Too bad he quit all the forums.  Maybe a subject for his facebook page.
    Self insured is possibly the standard value to which a parcel is covered by the carrier? In Australia for instance a parcel sent via AustPost is automatically insured for $100.

I guess playing the devil's advocate here: if the poster is damaged due to poor packaging then yes I agree it's up to the seller to make good, but if the carrier damages the parcel why do you feel the seller needs to make good? 

I can't answer about Bruce replacing a poster damaged in transit internationally, perhaps he would a $100 poster but if it was a $10K poster? 

David
    The seller should be responsible for purchasing insurance which protects them against postal carrier negligence
    Chris
    edited January 2015
    Better let Bruce & HA know, because they don't (it's optional and at the buyers choice and cost).

The problem is the buyer wants insurance but doesn't want to pay for it. To send a $500 parcel from Aust to USA, that weighs between 500g and 1000g:

Registered Post = $36.70
    Air Post with Extra Cover - $49.30

Personally I don't mind if the buyer does or doesn't want insurance, if the value is high then I would insist on it anyway.
    Post edited by David on
    David
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    CSM said:
    The seller should be responsible for purchasing insurance which protects them against postal carrier negligence

What about when the buyer says that they want a minimal value declared so that it doesn't attract customs duty?

Many of my customers in Europe and Canada insist on declaring a low value. Insurance will obviously only cover up to the declared value. If buyers want insurance I have to declare the full value.

John

edited January 2015
    John said:
    CSM said:

What about when the buyer says that they want a minimal value declared so that it doesn't attract customs duty?

Many of my customers in Europe and Canada insist on declaring a low value. Insurance will obviously only cover up to the declared value. If buyers want insurance I have to declare the full value.

Of course John and I am one of those Canadian buyers as you know (for which I am appreciative!).  And it's not always about the customs duty - a lot of my fear personally is packages being torn open at customs which has always happened when they get reviewed for duty.  Customs agents and posters do not mix nicely.

I understand that when I request a low value declaration that no additional insurance will be on the package.

My comment above was more so in relation to what I felt Charlie was driving at.  There is logic in the argument that it is ultimately the seller's responsibility to ensure a purchased item arrives in the condition the buyer bought it.  The main point here is that the seller ensures the item(s) are packaged properly and securely to account for the vast majority of potential mishaps (something which you have always done John).  This is where insurance for the seller would come in.  However, if a buyer such as myself is knowingly asking for a change in the shipping arrangement that buyer should not be putting up much of a stink should the item get damaged and not be able to be compensated for it - so long as it was packaged to the best of the seller's ability in the first place. 

It's a double-edged sword no doubt.  If sellers or buyers were required to put full value insurance on any package, not only would shipping costs be significantly inflated but also the risk of damage at customs or theft throughout the shipping process.

Chris
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter

I agree with you Chris. Whenever I declare a high value, I'm always a bit nervous about whether that might be an attraction to a someone to steal the package.

I guess the bottom line is that sellers should always look after their customers. For most of us, things rarely go wrong so if something happens to a package it really shouldn't be a problem for the seller to cover it.

John