Skip to content

Inaugural VMPF Poster Battle Bracket

I am so excited that I thought of this.  We could get all the members on here, advert on the other forums and MOPO to drive up membership...

Basically depending on how many people we get to play, we would choose a themes for each week of the bracket, like horror, leading lady, sciFi, etc...  Double Elimination???

So for example if I was to go up against say David...

We would be given three options for Round 1 

SciFi
Elizabeth Taylor
Quad

David and I would post our best three poster in those categories and the members would vote.  Now since I am thinking David doesn't have a quad that might make up for when he trumps my Cat On a Hot Tin Roof  with his french Cleo double panel...  But there would be one vote for the three posters.  

Round two may be.

Horror
Bella Lugosi
US OS

What do you guys think?  I can setup up the category and we can make threads with voting options for each round.

Charlie

Comments

• If someone doesn't have a poster well it may be best to suggest that pick the winner of the best two head-to-head poster battles in the round...  So if David doesn't have a quad then the vote would be based on the other two head to head posters...
  • edited February 2015
    Count me in! :)>- ---I've got a few gems I've kept hidden from ya'll!
  • May have to go to four or 5 options.

Like:

SciFi
    Japanese
    Audrey Hepburn
    Films that start with "B"
  • Would those be the categories for all participants? Brackets? My collection would cover window & lobby cards, one & half sheets, 30 x40, 40x60, foreign... :D
  • I'll draw up a 16 man bracket with example categories tomorrow... Now I am thinking 6 options - 3 best posters in those categories... Head to head.
  • edited February 2015
    Well I vote that Chris has just posted one of the most offensive images on this site since i've arrived!-- :-O---

@Charlie, sounds good. 
  • OK I built the brackets...imageimageimageimage
  • Now lunch and then I'll start working on the rules.. Is no one else like out of their mind excited about this!!!
  • edited February 2015
    lol

Make it Members only area.
    People will have to post in 'Spoilers' otherwise and the other contestant will need to be trusted that he wouldn't peak before he posts.
    People should post their fav not necessarily their most expensive
    How many times can you post the same poster?
    Seeding?
  • I'm excited! Looking forward to showing a few new pieces! :D
  • Unless of course I exit early!... #-o
  • I'll bribe the judges
  • David said:

People will have to post in 'Spoilers' otherwise and the other contestant will need to be trusted that he wouldn't peak before he posts.

Yes members only.  But I think we are going to do it hard core.  I will accept your url submissions for the first two rounds, build all the threads under a hidden category and then unlock it the day voting begins. No poster used twice unless in the final round and all must be posters you own.  I think I'll have a plaque made up and ship it to the winner.  We can do it every year on our anniversary - 1 year is coming up!!!
  • Unless of course I exit early!... #-o

I'm looking forward to my own early exit so I can jeer from the sidelines...
  •  Charlie, when do you foresee the beginning of the tournament? Would the champion be determined in April? the 1 year anniversary?

• Yeah, no pressure I think. I am going to get the rules sorted, make sure Matt and David are good with it.  I think we need to develop a pool of actors, actresses, directors to make it fair.

Six week means middle February start...
  • Sounds good-looking forward to it!
  • As co-owner I am prepared to put up a decent prize. How does one year's full membership sound? 
  • Sounds like a great idea. We could crown the winner as the World Champion Vintage Movie Poster Collector...   8-} See if Mel wants to join in? 
  • Matt said:

Sounds like a great idea. We could crown the winner as the World Champion Vintage Movie Poster Collector...   8-} See if Mel wants to join in? 

hahaha - he'd expect top seeding plus a bye in the first four rounds...
  • Huh??... :-?
  • edited February 2015
    Type the word m-e-l but without the spaces, then post it.

Not a bad guy, just slightly delusional about his place in the poster collecting world, went nuts by accumulating several thousand posters in a about five years, his apartment was a sight to behold, every spare wall from top to bottom had a framed poster (mostly one-sheets) - he was single (that's stating the obvious)...then he went over the top, left the forum, started a FB poster collecting group (if you build it they will come....did not apply), closed it, closed down his poster picture hosting accounts, closed down his poster authenticating site ( a good site infomationally) pulled the pin on being a collector and took his ball and went home.

So, really M-e-l is a swear word in here, but it's a tongue in cheek poke of fun
  • LOL! Wow! What a story. Thanks for passing on the background. Sounds like an episode from Seinfeld! ...took his ball & went home... :))
  • Also M-e-l has apparently sold off a chunk of the collection now so he likely would be unsuccessful in this endeavour
  • I have nowhere near enough paper to compete, but it'll be fun to watch.
  • CSM said:

Also M-e-l has apparently sold off a chunk of the collection now so he likely would be unsuccessful in this endeavour

Not according to Mel
  • David said:

CSM said:

Also M-e-l has apparently sold off a chunk of the collection now so he likely would be unsuccessful in this endeavour

Not according to Mel
    Oh?
  • Mere supposition of course...
This discussion has been closed.

Logo

For movie poster collectors who know...

@ 2021 Vintage Movie Posters Forum, All rights reserved.

Contact us

info@vintagemoviepostersforum.com

Get In Touch