Skip to content

Missing 1950's and 1960's Horror & Sci-FI daybill images.

Three films that come under the category of Horror or Sci-Fi that no daybill images appear to have surfaced are --

Jack The Ripper ( 1959 version ) ( Blake )

Valley Of The Dragons ( 1961 ) ( Columbia )

Carnival of Souls ( 1962 ) Cult film that I'm surprised hasn't surfaced. It was screened as a double bill in Sydney in the 1960's with The Devi'ls Messenger which starred Lon Chaney which has been sighted. Both films were distributed in Australia by RFD ( Regent Film Distributors ).

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has daybills for any of these titles or has ever sighted them.

One title that was hard to find turned up a few years ago. It was the 1960 Paramount release Blood And Roses.I'm sure the three titles i

I'm inquiring about are out there somewhere.

Does anyone else like to list any titles that appear missing?

Hondo

Comments

• Have you asked Phil Edwards? He hasn't been in the forum game for a while unfortunately.

• Haven't contacted Phil Edwards at this stage.

Why aren't the Horror & Sci-Fi collectors responding? I thought there were a lot our there.

Hondo

• Matt said:

Have you asked Phil Edwards? He hasn't been in the forum game for a while unfortunately.

I PM'd him the link to this thread...he'll either answer or moon us.

Or both.
  • He's not a member here is he?
  • Matt said:
    He's not a member here is he?
    He is...are you?
  • I'm not telling you if I am.
  • I'll ask around, I will find out...
  • Might also want to try Ari.  But of course that will be like cosplaying Catch Me If You Can right now

• I see titles, but NO images like the heading said.......you know I like pictures.
  • edited April 2015

Thanks to Matt mentioning this title in another thread I will add another daybill title to this discussion.

Gigantis, The Fire Monster ( Japan 1955, USA 1959 & Australia 1960  ( Warner Bros )

Anyone have an image to share ?

Hondo

• HONDO said:

Anyone have an image to share ?

Hondo

Indeed...in the absence of a drunk Daybill artist late on a Friday afternoon in suburban Sydney...

But I cheated, I used a prop
  • I have gigantis but can't photograph it at the moment. Remind me in a few weeks!
  • There is a Gigantis one sheet on eBay
  • Rick said:
    I have gigantis but can't photograph it at the moment. Remind me in a few weeks!
    It's not like you're on another planet, just Canada, use the telescopic lens...
    Here's the Gigantis daybill
  • Thanks Rick for the rare image. I'm thinking the film must have been very mild seeing the For General Exhibition rating is on it. Apparently it  couldn't even scare children.

Hondo

• edited July 2015
    HONDO said:

Three films that come under the category of Horror or Sci-Fi that no daybill images appear to have surfaced are --

Carnival of Souls ( 1962 ) Cult film that I'm surprised hasn't surfaced. It was screened as a double bill in Sydney in the 1960's with The Devi'ls Messenger which starred Lon Chaney which has been sighted. Both films were distributed in Australia by RFD ( Regent Film Distributors ).

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has daybills for any of these titles or has ever sighted them.

Hondo

Let's add  to the list -   

The Monster That Challenged The World ( 1957 ) ( United Artists ) that  John mentioned on the Missing Daybills  thread.

Captive Women ( 1952 ) ( RKO  Radio )

The Four Skulls Of Jonathan Drake ( 1959 ) ( United Artists}

•                                                                                                                                                                             Australian newspaper advertisement for Captive women.

• edited July 2015
    It is interesting that Australian posters have not surfaced for quite a lot of films. I think that in many cases, posters would have been printed for some of these films, particularly Monster that Challenged the World but nothing has ever turned up.
  • HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

Hondo

Let's add  to the list -   

The Monster That Challenged The World ( 1957 ) ( United Artists ) that  John mentioned on the Missing Daybills  thread.

Another to add -

Macumba Love ( 1960 )  ( United Artists )

• edited July 2015

List of found images to date.

Gigantis, The Fire Monster ( supplied by Rick )  ( image on Missing daybills thread }

The Monster That Challenged The World. ( supplied by Rick )

• edited July 2015
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

Hondo

Let's add  to the list -   

Another to add -

Macumba Love ( 1960 )  ( United Artists )

Although not 1950s as it is late 1949 I will add - 

Mighty Joe Young ( released in Australia as Mr. Joseph Young Of Africa  ( 1949 ) ( RKO Radio )

• has anyone seen a Black Christmas daybill?
  • Rick said:
    has anyone seen a Black Christmas daybill?
    This is a much later film than which I had planned to discuss. Nevertheless the film was passed by the Australian censor in 1976. The applicant was Cinecenta Films a small independent distributor. I can remember only sighting one daybill produced by them which was an uninspiring duotone poster. Cinecenta Films probably produced a daybill of some sort but probably in only limited numbers knowing the release would only be limited.

• Another title to add to our list -

The Last Man On Earth ( 1964 ) ) Banned in Australia in 1964 but passed for exhibition in 1972 ( CUC Films Australia )

• HONDO said:

Another title to add to our list -

The Last Man On Earth ( 1964 ) ) Banned in Australia in 1964 but passed for exhibition in 1972 ( CUC Films Australia )

Still another one raised by Sven on another thread -

Man With The X-Ray Eyes ( aka X ) Most likely banned in Australia originally but was screened in Australia in 1972 and possibly even earlier.

• edited August 2015
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

Man With The X-Ray Eyes ( aka X ) ( 1963 ) Most likely banned in Australia originally but was screened in Australia in 1972 and possibly even earlier.

Still another - Varan The Unbelievable ( 1962 )

And also - Panic In Year Zero ( 1962 )

• HONDO said:
    Rick said:
    has anyone seen a Black Christmas daybill?
    This is a much later film than which I had planned to discuss. Nevertheless the film was passed by the Australian censor in 1976. The applicant was Cinecenta Films a small independent distributor. I can remember only sighting one daybill produced by them which was an uninspiring duotone poster. Cinecenta Films probably produced a daybill of some sort but probably in only limited numbers knowing the release would only be limited.

The great horror poster god says if you mean this film then yes, they exist:

• edited August 2015
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

Man With The X-Ray Eyes ( aka X ) ( 1963 ) Most likely banned in Australia originally but was screened in Australia in 1972 and possibly even earlier.

Still another - Varan The Unbelievable ( 1962 ) ( Blake )

And also - Panic In Year Zero ( 1962 ) ( Blake )

Plus The Twonky ( 1953 ) ( United Artists )

&     Repulsion ( 1965 ) ( Blake )

• Anyone that has any of the daybill images for the films I continue to list please post them on this thread.