Skip to content

Emovie shipping price rise

Just paid for some posters and the cheapest quote was  $55.63, I'm sure it was mid 40's last time I'd paid. When did this happen?

Comments

• Prices have been going up for a while now...it's now more expensive to ship from the USA to Australia the same package from the two auction houses than it is to ship the other way!

• edited April 2015
    I paid Peter at MPE no more than $45 a couple of months ago. That's why I raised my eyebrow when I saw the quote.
  • Like with like?
  • Tube with Peter, flat with Bruce.(Maybe in a box with those bloody peanuts again!)
  • And for some reason, the USPS First Class option appears less on EMP which offered better value for money and reliable from my experience.
  • edited April 2015
    Matt said:
    Just paid for some posters and the cheapest quote was  $55.63, I'm sure it was mid 40's last time I'd paid. When did this happen?
    Got busy with some Aussie paper in the folded non US auction? Were some nice picks in there :))
  • Last time I had a Flat Pack from EMP in the $40s, that was Jan 2012, in 2013 they were in the mid high $50s.

Suspect you've just missed the prices moving up slowly, plus right now a mid high $50s postage fee is now closer to AUD$75 for us...it stings.So let's say a poster I might have wanted recently would have come to close to $400 by the time it landed...

Bugger that! I'm going to dig up some old floorboards in houses in country NSW...

• You know Sven.......it would of been cheaper if brought that Outlaw RR from JR......you of all people should known that! :P

• Matt said:

You know Sven.......it would of been cheaper if brought that Outlaw RR from JR......you of all people should known that! :P

Yes...I ...urrrr...knew that... X_X
  • I wish I had this problem right now. Nothing I've wanted has surfaced since Nov last year. Been very very quite for me..
  • I wish I had this problem right now. Nothing I've wanted has surfaced since Nov last year. Been very very quite for me..
    and a problem for us with your savings growing, for when the right one comes along, Reg packs a punch
    :P
  • I got this email from Bruce.

Matty,

This is Bruce. Someone showed me your post on VintagePosterForum.

The reason your quote was higher this time was because the four daybills were expensive, and we put them in a box. That weighs more, and can't go First Class.

In the future, if you want us to not put expensive items in a box, we can send them in a regular Calumet container like we send inexpensive orders, but then of course, the chance of damage is much greater, so most collectors don't want that trade off.

And if you don't know it already, we only charge you exactly what we pay the Post Office, plus $3 for packaging materials. We never make a profit on shipping, but there have been so many increases the last few years that have caused the prices to rise dramatically.

I would still bet we charge way less than anyone else who packs as well as we do!

You might post some or all of the above on the forum, so that the entire truth is known.

Thanks,
        Bruce

• Matt said:

I got this email from Bruce.

Matty,

This is Bruce. Someone showed me your post on VintagePosterForum.

I hope the 'Someone' shows Bruce this and tells Bruce he can always login and write his own responses to all.
  • My question is....what is the cut off point to make it expensive? Three of those daybills were under $110
  • ZGood question, but it seems strange, their flat packaging has always seem crash proof
  • Matt said:
    My question is....what is the cut off point to make it expensive? Three of those daybills were under $110

In theory, the package can be sent via First Class if it weights 64 oz (1.8kg approx.) and combined length, height, and width is 36 inches (42 inches for rolls/tubes)Does your box fit First Class Packaging criteria in terms of weight and size?
    https://www.usps.com/international/mail-shipping-services.htm?First-Class Package International Service®Affordable International ServiceAn economical way to send small packages to more than 180 countries. Send anything up to 4 lbs (cannot exceed $400 in value). From $6.55 online.Hide Details about First-Class Package International Service

Notes

• Our most affordable international service for small packages
    • Includes USPS Trackingâ„¢ when you ship online to select destinations

Rules & Restrictions

• Maximum weight is 64 oz
    • Maximum combined length, height, and width is 36 inches (42 inches for rolls/tubes)
    • Some countries have specific prohibitions and restrictions.

• I've always wondered why sometimes I get a box full of peanuts and times their flat pack and you're right Dave. Their flat pack has always arrived without a scratch or dent on it.
                    • Matt said:
                      I've always wondered why sometimes I get a box full of peanuts and times their flat pack and you're right Dave. Their flat pack has always arrived without a scratch or dent on it.

Ah I hear what you and David are saying, yes the flat packaging is very strong from EMP. - They put two layers of thick cardboard + thin MDF for a lobby card.

I might keep this in mind and pop a note in the shipping quote  request that I'm happy for items to go flat package

• I just measured an old box of theirs and the combined w h and l is 32 inches, weight would easy be under 1.8 kg
                    • Matt I'm assuming the $55 was for priority ? Sounds like it can go via first class, not sure why not an option when it meets usps requirements? Takes a little longer but still has tracking, So you could save by flat packaging and or first class
                    • Has anyone got one sheets delivered in a flat pack?
                    • Yes it was priority.
                    • BTW I still love EMP and am sure if requested specific packaging requirements they would do it
                    • Was your price insured or uninsured Matt?

I just realised that I always get mine insured so my price from last year might not be apples with apples - in which case prices have gone up.

Wish he put up the local (USA) postage prices - you'd be able to hear them squeal from here! 
                      :D
                    • Oh yeah their packaging is fantastic, but if there was a "flat packaging requested" box you could tick when requesting a quote, I think it could make it easier for both parties.
                    • Matt said:
                      Has anyone got one sheets delivered in a flat pack?
                      That's gunna be a big-ass pack!
                    • Uninsurred
                    • Matt said:
                      Oh yeah their packaging is fantastic, but if there was a "flat packaging requested" box you could tick when requesting a quote, I think it could make it easier for both parties.
                      Nice idea Matt. Are people of the opinion the first class option should be available more or do most people here like Priority?
                    • I am pretty sure when I say I have always get the Priority Mail International - Insured option. Bottom line because they offer Pack n Send Later it helps make the overall cost of the items to see (each) less.