Skip to content

removing several posters glued together

I have several 3 sheets that have two or three posters glued together and backed with craft paper, Many of the posters underneath seem more interesting than the ones on top. I took some to a couple of restoration places but we are held back by budget restraints. I would like to learn how to separate the posters and linen back them myself. How diffecult would it be to set up a home operation? Thank you

Comments

• What are the posters???
  • Pictures please!!!
  • This has been done - by professionals mind you - by using a steamer (I think similar to one you would use to get wrinkles out of clothing?)
  • Hi not really able to list the posters currently . there are several thousand. The ones I remember are mostly westerns and late fifties, early 60s . Hitchcock Bridgette Bardot Fellini etc. I am pretty certain The Day the Earth Stood still is under one.
    I need to separate alot of them to find out what is underneath. Does anyone have an idea where I can learn to do this? I mite just take some of the
    severely damaged ones and have a go at it. I will need to learn to linen back as well. Normally I would take them to a professional but there are way too many. Thanks
  • Several thousand all glued together?

Before you get swooped on - if you have a The Day The Earth Stood Still three sheet then that's worth around $10K at auction, are you sure you want to 'have a go'? That one poster would likely pay for a lot of separation by someone who knows what they are doing.

• Would be nice to see a picture so we can drool ..
  • As David said I would definitely at least get an opinion from a restorer first!
  • No pictures, no tips...
  • I wouldn't risk them by using my hands. If there's good stuff in there, ask a pro first.
  • And post pics...
    :D
  • i meant several thousands three and four glued togeter at a time

• Let us know how you get on or if you ever would like to share some pictures feel free to do so, I am sure most all of us would be keen to see.

But I think we probably have given you all the advice we can. 
  • not all are in as good as shape as these. I have sold the Monster and Spider. you can see some have been trimmed. Most have two and three posters on the back and surprisingly the better ones are underneath. I think the best part of this is there are plenty of b movies as well.

• BTW that is one of four trips to the theater filled to the top and every sq inch of space in the extended van. It has been quite fun

• i have gone to two pros already and i am using them to work the more valuable ones but there are too many to have them do all. The removal par is easy the glue separates with ease. The Linen backing is what cost the most and is the most diffecult
  • more pic
    From here to ..is one of the worst examples of a poster being trimmed.
  • Strange the tops been trimmed like that, maybe the display case was too small?
  • and it does look like you're having fun. =P~
  • Geeze, you've got some serious posters there!

Amazing stuff. Can you tell us the history behind how you have them etc etc - it's not just about the posters!
  • edited April 2015
    Woooza...that's a sh*t load of posters in the van !
  • Treasure hunting at it's best!!
  • Saw some of these for sale on eBay.  Looks like you've got some doctorate level archaeological work ahead of you.  Hopefully any 'special' titles will not be trimmed in the same way...